Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/2/21 9:56 p.m.
NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/3/21 5:31 a.m.

TIL that the guy who founded both Paxton and McCulloch superchargers, Robert Paxton McCulloch, was the same McCulloch of McCulloch Aviation and McCulloch chainsaws. He was also married into the Briggs family of Briggs & Stratton, founded Lake Havasu City as a company town for his chainsaw manufacturing, and paid to have a bridge in London disassembled and reassembled in Lake Havasu City. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/3/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

About that bridge.  There is a persistent rumor that the London Bridge he thought he was getting was this one:

Tower Bridge | Description, History, & Facts | Britannica

That is actually Tower Bridge, despite serving as the icon of London since it was built.  The actual London Bridge, of nursery rhyme fame, is this one:

London Bridge in England, c 1908. It was located on the River Thames until  it was dismantled, sold, and reassembled in Ari… | London city, London  bridge, Old london

...which is substantially less interesting to look at.  It was, in fact falling down (or, more accurately, sinking into the mud) which was why they sold it.  And what they replaced it with is even duller:

London Bridge

To be fair, this all happened in 1968, and 1968 wasn't the best of economic times for England in general.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/3/21 9:42 a.m.
NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/3/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The ultimate case of "do your research before you buy".

I like to imagine them reassembling the bridge and he's looking at the piles of stones going "We're almost out of stones and they haven't even started the towers. What's going on here?"

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/3/21 1:38 p.m.

TIL that I'm going to be off work 6-8 weeks.

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/3/21 4:47 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

TIL that I'm going to be off work 6-8 weeks.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/3/21 4:57 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Yes

I suspected I had a broken arm, and it was confirmed today just how badly broken it is. So I'm in a cast and it's going to be reassessed in 6 weeks.

The time off will give me an opportunity to see how I feel about not going to work every day, because, frankly, I'm Not  really enjoying work anymore, and I've always enjoyed work, but I'm not quite willing to give up the pay. I'm hoping I'll see at the end of 6 weeks just how much I've enjoyed that time off, despite the unfortunate reason for it, and if I'm really ready to retire or not.

I'm trying to look on the bright side, despite my race season just about to start.

When life gives you lemons

You drink Weizen

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/3/21 6:17 p.m.
Karacticus said:

I was looking at the Audi eTron GT, and Today I Learned what etron translates to from French

Wait 'til you see what citron (Citroen) means!

(The English slang came about because of the Citroen...)

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/3/21 7:57 p.m.
mtn said:

Cue the Gary P Nunn 

That's one of my most favorite songs every & Jerry Jeff Walker did it better than anybody else.  

And I've never even been to Texas except to make a connecting flight.  If I was from Texas, I'd probably like it even more.

Thanks for posting it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/3/21 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

My dad would snag fish and pull up random crap out of Lake Michigan.

https://news.wttw.com/2018/12/05/controversial-fishing-style-snagging-salmon-chicago-harbors

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/3/21 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

When life gives you lemons, 

You paint that E36 M3 gold.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/21 10:16 p.m.

TIL that the guy Stanley Spdowski gives a mouth full of whipped cream to in Weird Al's UHF is none other than Dr. Demento.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/5/21 7:48 a.m.
M2Pilot said:
mtn said:

If I was from Texas, I'd probably like it even more.

It's our "Sweet Home Alabama".

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
5/5/21 11:38 a.m.

TIL that battery terminal shims are a thing.   I read about on the internet, so it must be true.

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/5/21 12:21 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to CAinCA :

Yes

I suspected I had a broken arm, and it was confirmed today just how badly broken it is. So I'm in a cast and it's going to be reassessed in 6 weeks.

Oh, I missed that. I'm sorry, but enjoy the hell out of that 6 weeks off. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/5/21 4:43 p.m.

You have no reason to be sorry, you didn't do it.

Did you?

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/5/21 5:05 p.m.

TIL Mr. Peabody has no idea who broke his arm. I suspect drugs and/or alcohol may have been involved.

I hope you make the right decision about whether to return to work after this! smiley

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
5/5/21 6:35 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

You have no reason to be sorry, you didn't do it.

Did you?

Pretty sure it wasn't me. It's a long berkeleying drive from here. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
5/5/21 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Who cares, London jumped the shark when they built that lame a$$ ferris wheel thing.

It's not that I have a problem with change - progress - whatever, I think the Gherkin building is absolutely brilliant (hopefully you read absolutely brilliant in Jeremy Clarkson's voice) but that ferris wheel thing is just berking dumb, like so dumb, it literally makes London a measurably less desirable destination.

The Gherkin, London | London sightseeing, London attractions, Day trips  from london

"Fight me" devil

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/6/21 6:58 p.m.

TIL 24 years ago I installed the legs wrong on my engine hoist and I've really been cursing myself for how hard it is to control and NOT the manufacturer.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/7/21 9:13 a.m.

TIL (or more correctly, last night I learned) that Lowe's sells UTVs now.  They had a row of them in front of the store.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/7/21 9:51 p.m.

TIL two things that piss me off. 

One, a bunch of my videos from YouTube are gone, and there's no explanation why.

Two, Bubba died in the movie version of Forrest Gump.  In the book, Bubba and Forrest had their shrimp boat and were pretty successful.   I'll add it to the list of "movies I'll never watch because the book was better"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/11/21 6:48 a.m.

TIL that if you leave the banjo bolt for the turbocharger oil feed line on a GM 1.4L even the slightest bit loose, it will make one helluva mess in one helluva hurry.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/11/21 7:46 a.m.

Well, at least you know it has good oil pressure

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kAEh86U4ZhmfwxPnta7z8ayY8IYowTyDIkK3ONz71UbSWaiGoxLvsDkMg1NCIeXw