Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/7/21 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

We did the same when we finally managed to capture a flyable (or at least repairable) Japanese Zero, and it contributed greatly to the tactical approach used in fighting against them (and, I believe, in developing the next-generation fighter planes that took them on).

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/7/21 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Petty Officer Koga's A6M  on Akutan. ly 1942 and became the first flyable Zero acquired by the United States.] It was repaired and flown by American test pilots. As a result of information gained from these tests, American tacticians were able to devise ways to defeat the Zero. almost beyond value to the United States", and "probably one of the greatest prizes of the Pacific War". Japanese historian and lieutenant g0eneral Masatake Okumiya stated that the acquisition of the Akutan Zero "was no less serious" than the Japanese defeat at the Battle of Midway, and that it "did much to hasten Japan's final defeat".

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/7/21 8:40 p.m.

I know the Allies tested several Axis planes, and I knew we "gave Ivan the bird" when a B29 did an emergency landing where the Soviets could get their mitts on it (and then introducing their version of it, the TU-4, 2 years later). But the Luftwaffe acquiring Spitfires and Mustangs? This was news to me...

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
6/8/21 12:23 p.m.

TIl about the rhinoceros party:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_Party

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
6/8/21 12:26 p.m.
Jay_W said:

I know the Allies tested several Axis planes, and I knew we "gave Ivan the bird" when a B29 did an emergency landing where the Soviets could get their mitts on it (and then introducing their version of it, the TU-4, 2 years later). But the Luftwaffe acquiring Spitfires and Mustangs? This was news to me...

I don't know if this is true but the rumor is that the Soviet B29 was so exactly copied that the rudder pedals had the Boeing logo cast into them. surprise

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/8/21 12:36 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
Jay_W said:

I don't know if this is true but the rumor is that the Soviet B29 was so exactly copied that the rudder pedals had the Boeing logo cast into them. surprise

I wouldn't doubt it.  I recall reading that they even duplicated the patches from battle damage repair.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/8/21 12:38 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
RX Reven' said:
Jay_W said:

I wouldn't doubt it.  I recall reading that they even duplicated the patches from battle damage repair.

Stalin said exact copies, and only a fool defied Stalin's request.

They had to get special dispensation to use metric dimensioned sheetmetal, and Soviet parachutes.

IIRC there were three B-29s, two were dismantled for inspection and the third was kept intact as a operational example.  Supposedly, an American (Eisenhower?) was visiting their big parade/airshow, and the three "B-29s" flew overhead.  And then a fourth one appeared.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

How did we get our hands on it? IS the story out there somewhere?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/8/21 12:59 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Appleseed :

The Pilot, Koga, tried for a crash landing on an Alaskan island - there was a sub nearby the island he was crashing on to pick him up. He didn't realize that the ground wasn't firm, so instead of belly landing, he had his landing gear down which caught in the muck. Koga died in the crash, but since the plane was relatively intact, the other pilots did not know if he survived it or not so couldn't bring themselves to destroy the wreckage. The sub searched, but was driven off by a US Destroyer. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/10/21 9:48 a.m.

TIL that nissan rogues are manufactured in South Korea. Maybe that is why their quality is getting better.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/10/21 9:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

They're still ugly.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/10/21 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You're not wrong. 

EDIT: due to their historical issues I'm wondering how that went? 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/10/21 10:41 a.m.

TIL that when the current CEO recently tried to change the price of Costco's $1.50 hot dog/soda combo, which has been the same price since 1985, one of the founders told him "if you change the price of the berkeleying hot dog, I will kill you."

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/10/21 10:55 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

History is history.  Cash is king.  There are lots of Japanese companies building stuff in South Korea.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/12/21 8:33 a.m.

TIL that the Canadian military uses a NATO-rechambered version of the MG42 as a tank-mounted machine gun.

Also TIL that the M3A1 (stamped steel "grease gun") is STILL in use... by the JSDF.   It's my favorite SMG, nay, mechanical device, due to its brutally simple design.  (It's an open bolt, non select fire mechanism, so already simple.  The first series had a cocking lever.  Later they realized, hell, if we just make the dust cover/safety latch longer so the operator can just reach in with his finger to open the bolt, we can eliminate like half of the parts...)

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/12/21 11:20 a.m.

TIL that people are asking up to $500 for regular run of the mill kittens. Holy carp

I currently have a challenge car and couple of night's hotel room worth of kittens in my barn

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/12/21 11:46 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

TIL that people are asking up to $500 for regular run of the mill kittens. Holy carp

I currently have a challenge car and couple of night's hotel room worth of kittens in my barn

Sounds like you need to spend a couple of weeks in the barn snuggling kitties so they are easier to sell.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/16/21 10:55 a.m.

TIL that the sound of me riffling through plastic bins of LEGO trying to find the pieces that I need to rebuild some of my oldest sets (I sorted all of my old parts by color over the last few days) apparently is up there with the sound of nails on a chalkboard to The Dancer. Which sucks, because it means I can't work on it when she's home. Somehow it seems that sounds transmit ridiculously well through the floor of my office which is the ceiling of the room her 'office' is in... through the winter when I was wearing slippers at my desk and tapping my feet against the leg of my chair along with the music I was listening to she'd iMessage me ,"tap tap tap tap" because it was driving her nuts.

Really wish things were at a point where we could afford to build a place of our own design- I'm determined that the garage and my office will be at the opposite end of the house from her office/studio.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
6/16/21 11:30 a.m.
Jay_W said:

TIL that in WW2 the Germans evaluated captured P51 Mustangs. I didn't know they managed to do that, and the pic is surprisingly unnerving.

This image is all you need to launch an alternate history - dimensional shift conspiracy. I might do that for fun.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/22/21 8:43 p.m.

Today I learned Drew Carey was a marine. Yes, that drew Carey that hosts wheel of fortune and had a decent to annoying sitcom in the 90s.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/24/21 8:16 p.m.

Today I learned:

When the Oklahoma City bombing happened, my wife, a nurse, bought a plane ticket and flew there.  She pronounced 91 people dead, a medical person had to examine them and pronounce them.  She said it was awful.  For her to say that, given her experiences in various hospitals, ICU, CCU, Emergency Departments and being first on scene at accidents, well, awful to her is more than I ever want to see.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/24/21 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

The older I get the more I appreciate those who hold these positions.  Incredible how they can do it cause I'm a wuss.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/24/21 8:21 p.m.
RevRico said:

Today I learned Drew Carey was a marine. Yes, that drew Carey that hosts wheel of fortune and had a decent to annoying sitcom in the 90s.

The haircut and mil-look glasses aren't just for effect!

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
6/24/21 9:02 p.m.
mtn said:
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Appleseed :

The Pilot, Koga, tried for a crash landing on an Alaskan island - there was a sub nearby the island he was crashing on to pick him up. He didn't realize that the ground wasn't firm, so instead of belly landing, he had his landing gear down which caught in the muck. Koga died in the crash, but since the plane was relatively intact, the other pilots did not know if he survived it or not so couldn't bring themselves to destroy the wreckage. The sub searched, but was driven off by a US Destroyer. 

Here is more detail if you are interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akutan_Zero

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/21 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

I imagine it's not a story she likes to retell. After 9/11 I spent a lot of time shuttling MEs from around the country between the hotel they were  staying in and the morgue tents they had come to staff. I'm grateful that there are people that can and will do that job, and certain that I'm not one of them. The looks on their faces after a shift said more than their words could about the experience they were having. People like your wife are pretty rare and we're all better for them. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
khOjuqLnHB9NB2f7GnNWgxKIPqhLrc6XpaKpLcrpkpFPrDl1jcgwvvaiTPj4q2Ma