Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/15/21 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Hey, at least we don't have to figure out if it's a hatchback or not.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
11/15/21 4:43 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
gearheadmb said:

A while ago I learned that the earth is 238,000 miles from the moon, so I made that my goal life expectancy for vehicles. I figure if a car makes it the same distance as a trip to the moon it no longer owes me anything. I'll keep driving it after that, but it's done its time.

SO CLOSE

Hi Pete,

Since the moon has an elliptical orbit around the earth, it's distance varies.

When at it's nearest, know as perigee, it's 221,519 miles away and when it's at it farthest, known as apogee, it's 252,712 miles away.  Taking the average of 237,115 wouldn't really be correct as it's orbital rate slows when it's at apogee causing it to spend more time at greater distances than nearer distances (please refer to Newton's Inverse Square Law of Gravitation).

339.Laws

This is probably why you heard that the distance was 238,000 miles...that's a little more than the 50% mark but where the moon spends the most of its time. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/15/21 5:43 p.m.

TIL I still hate being a teacher. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/15/21 6:23 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Given that the car passed 262k last week... I think I'm still good smiley

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
11/16/21 9:22 a.m.

TIL that there is a top-down shooter where you play as Nikola Tesla fighting against hordes of Eldritch horrors summoned by H.P. Lovecraft... and that it's been out for like 3 years. How did it take me so long to hear about this? 

Tesla vs Lovecraft

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
11/16/21 10:43 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

Given that the car passed 262k last week... I think I'm still good smiley

I got 282,000 miles out of my second gen. RX-7 and when I sold it, I too worked out the moon units which was 1.19 and I too thought "you don't owe me anything".

jb229
jb229 New Reader
11/16/21 6:50 p.m.

TIL you can add Onstar to any new Jeep Wrangler.

'help onstar im three foot deep in a mud hole and my engine wont turn over'

Also, blind spot as well as collision warning.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/16/21 7:43 p.m.
jb229 said:

TIL you can add Onstar to any new Jeep Wrangler.

'help onstar im three foot deep in a mud hole and my engine wont turn over'

Also, blind spot as well as collision warning.

My brother went to college in northern Minnesota. The call center for OnStar was, at that time, somewhere in the south, or else southwest. 

During ice fishing season, one of his friends would drive out to the middle of the lake, hit the OnStar button, and say he'd made a wrong turn and if they could help him get back to I-94. "Oh sure sir, we can help you with that. Let me just look up your loc-OHMYGOD YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A LAKE!"

The idea of ice so thick that you could drive on had never occurred to this person.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
11/16/21 10:03 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I have similar lol, I was working nights a few years ago and one of the night staff from Africa beached her Prius in a snowbank, partially because her tires were bald.

Que an entire night of half the night staff from Africa, telling stories about seeing snow for the first time and hating every second of it lmao

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/18/21 11:35 a.m.

TIL or more accurately yesterday, that my Rampage very much does not like starting when it's in single digits.

I think it gave me the automotive equivalent to a middle finger when I turned the key.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/18/21 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I honestly don't recall ever trying to start it when it was that cold out... probably because it doesn't get that cold too frequently around here, and when it does I would 99 times out of 100 choose the SUV with heated seats over the Rampage.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/18/21 10:14 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I honestly don't recall ever trying to start it when it was that cold out... probably because it doesn't get that cold too frequently around here, and when it does I would 99 times out of 100 choose the SUV with heated seats over the Rampage.

Funnily enough at the moment I'm using it as a wood truck. It's low to the ground,easy to load up and where I'm getting it it's not off-road so it's perfect.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
11/19/21 3:20 p.m.

In 1986 they held the first NASCAR street course here in Tacoma, Wa (maybe a thousand feet from where I live). They then held a second one a year later.

1986 Brochure (look at these ads!)

https://www.tacomasportsmuseum.com/2004-46-03/

1987 Brochure

https://www.tacomasportsmuseum.com/2018-25-05/

Some short footage at the end of this video.

https://youtu.be/g4ZAzqXqAzI

I don't follow NASCAR but man it would be amazingly cool to have another event like this with multiple classes and racing on the street.

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
11/19/21 6:27 p.m.

TIL, this being my first time in the forums, that I can 100% get all my humor from the TIL forum among a couple of others. The oneliners, phrases and off beat humor, literally have me putting my macaroni and cheese down to laugh so I dont choke. You cant make this stuff up, its better than any sitcom on tv. (Also I dont have a tv just for that reason). Amazing...carry on. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/29/21 3:13 p.m.

TIL that some hardcore multi-track audio recorders look like someone was watching WAY too much of The Expanse when they designed them...

Grumman F9F Cougar
Grumman F9F Cougar MegaDork
12/2/21 11:11 p.m.

TIL why the X-15 had a wedge shaped vertical stabilizers. At high speed, vertical stability degrades exponentially for a given area. The wedge shape works well, but only in thr hypersonic realm. Everywhere else, it produces as much drag as an entire F-104.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/5/21 6:07 p.m.

TIL that companies make all sorts of performance parts for the 22hp 670cc Predator V-twin, including billet rods, pistons and cams, and supercharger kits. You can crank one up to 70hp.

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
12/7/21 9:25 a.m.

TIL that while minty, toothpaste is a poor substitute for hand lotion. 

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
12/7/21 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

And hand lotion is a worse substitute for toothpaste

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/7/21 10:11 a.m.
Duke said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that Snowpiercer is a decent TV show.

I loved the movie but I didn't think it'd work , pleasantly surprised

I was profoundly meh about the movie.

This is a very old quote, but I wanted to follow this up with a little something.

There are some theory videos around YouTube's that Snowpiercer is a Willy Wonka sequel. I won't get into all the minutia, but they're worth a watch, and don't require the suspension of belief you would think. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/7/21 11:56 a.m.
JStrobel80 said:

In reply to Karacticus :

And Ortho-Gynol is an even worse substitute for toothpaste.

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
12/8/21 8:46 a.m.
M2Pilot said:
JStrobel80 said:

In reply to Karacticus :

But it's OK if you get it on your hootus. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/8/21 10:20 a.m.
Karacticus said:
M2Pilot said:
JStrobel80 said:

In reply to Karacticus :

But it's OK if you get it on your hootus. 

It does make your tongue numb, though.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
12/8/21 10:49 p.m.

TIL that, according to Webster's, mongeese is an acceptable plural form of mongoose.

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
12/9/21 7:25 a.m.

TIL, that after posting this to a different site yesterday, I woke up to a message from Porsche that I don't have permission to use Porsche trademark and will not be allowed to create posters to sell that have any resemblance to the shape, outline, name, badge, font relating to Porsche. So thats nice. I replied with an email asking about the "literally" 12,748 other fan art images just on one site being sold...no response yet. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ogZ5pTs2hs5x7pJjCZGFZwJIyqwOvKYMd3bWSgCZFxL6ShBwzlVT3SwrUAsDbBFg