Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
12/29/21 1:00 p.m.

I did not know that this existed.

java230
java230 PowerDork
1/3/22 1:04 p.m.

Dakar cars run cooling ducts to their coilovers. Now that is just cool.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/3/22 1:15 p.m.

In the Star Wars universe, Jazz music - like in the cantina scene - is called Jizz.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jizz

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/3/22 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I sadly knew that, but had filed it away to a deep dark corner of my brain, only for the one post on Facebook to bring it back. my headcanon is that George Lucas had no clue what that word means, and everyone else was too damn afraid to tell him.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/3/22 11:12 p.m.
Noddaz said:

I did not know that this existed.

Me neither. Someone should start a Wombat Awareness Organization Awareness Organization to make people aware of the organization. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/6/22 3:43 a.m.

TIL my Dad had been a AAA member for 68 years.

That's longer than I've been alive, I'm 63.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/6/22 7:59 a.m.

TIL that LG has gotten out of the phone industry.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/7/22 11:47 a.m.

TIL that if I ever win the lottery, a Lola T-290 will reside in my garage. Oh my, what a sexy beast! I knew these were a thing, but never saw the long-tail/spoiler bodywork before.. I love everything about this one.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/7/22 9:04 p.m.

TIL that the same guy who named Pizza Hut's Priazzos also named the Pontiac Fiero.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/7/22 10:11 p.m.

Okay, so bear with me here but...  this stuff:

is something that I think I need to keep around the house!

I know, right?  Natty light?  Vodka?  For about $12 a bottle?

Fill a glass with ice, go about 3/4 of the way with this, then top off with cold water.  It's like a Mike's Hard Lemonade that has some kick to it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/8/22 8:20 a.m.

YIL that Nissan made an all wheel drive hybrid Q50.

It is very busy looking under the car.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/8/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to wae :

When I was Christmas shopping and looking for a bottle of proper European schnapps for Mrs. P I was astounded to find out that they now only carry 3 kinds, neither of which were the ones that I, or she likes.

Behind me were two full aisles of flavoured Vodka.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/8/22 10:03 a.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to wae :

Behind me were two full aisles of flavoured Vodka.

High-resolution chromatography and organic chemistry have absolutely murdered the liquor industry.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/8/22 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Enlighten me

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/8/22 2:39 p.m.

TIL that a $100 air fryer can crack a $5000 quartz countertop. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/8/22 3:58 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to Duke :

Enlighten me

Organic chemists can put, say, a graham cracker, a toasted marshmallow, and a piece of chocolate in a chromatograph. That will burn each sample and precisely generate a graph of the spectrum of organic chemicals in each one.

They can (in theory) then use that information to synthesize an organic chemical flavoring to make, for instance, s'mores flavored vodka.  And so they do, and sell it to sorority girls and 43-year-old divorcees by the barrel.

In reality, what they come up with is a foul-tasting, fake-smelling mess that is almost exactly unlike whatever they were trying to replicate.

And because it is cheap to make and easy to do if you have some reasonably-priced scientific equipment, and highly profitable, liquor stores are now crowded with this crap and there is no room for genuinely crafted, well made regular liquors.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/9/22 11:47 a.m.

Gotcha.

Whatever happened to the good old days when booze tasted like gasoline - the way it's supposed to?

TIL the history of the word cromulent

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/9/22 11:59 a.m.
wae said:

Okay, so bear with me here but...  this stuff:

is something that I think I need to keep around the house!

I know, right?  Natty light?  Vodka?  For about $12 a bottle?

Fill a glass with ice, go about 3/4 of the way with this, then top off with cold water.  It's like a Mike's Hard Lemonade that has some kick to it.

Haven't had the natty light version, but pinnacle pink lemonade vodka and sweet tea vodka got me through the summer this year.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/22 12:46 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

Gotcha.

Whatever happened to the good old days when booze tasted like gasoline - the way it's supposed to?

It's analogous to the 'reality TV' and 'star show' movements. Cheap, high-profit, flashy crap that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/9/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I, for one, am all for it.  Sometimes I don't want a Laphroaig or Weller, I just want to get a nice buzz drinking something that tastes like a liquid Jolly Rancher.  My local liquor stores have plenty of room for both types, but I'm not interested in blowing through a $120 bottle of Scotch or a hard-to-find fifth of Weller in search of a buzz.  That stuff is for enjoying.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/9/22 1:04 p.m.

In reply to wae :

1 part decent, medium price unflavored vodka

3 parts orange or cranberry juice of your choice - add sugar if you really need to

Stir and enjoy.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/9/22 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Yeah, I've done that in the past.  But it's a lot easier when all I have to do is take the bottle out of the freezer, pour, and swallow.

Vodka is also something I don't really keep around - I've had really good expensive ones and frankly they all pretty much taste like rubbing alcohol.  If I'm going to buy a clear liquor on flavor it'll be gin.  A martini with good olives and vermouth is a delightful way to get ready for dinner.  Or a gin and tonic, or a gimlet.  Or, say, just a glass of gin.  I guess I prefer brown liquors because they bring more to the table all on their own and don't need to be mixed with anything to get anything other than an "mmmmm, gasoline!" flavor.  Even a barrel-strength bourbon clocking in at 120 proof will have some really nice complex wood, smoke, and coffee flavors going on in there.

I may be a philistine, but I'm a very happy one.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/14/22 1:58 p.m.

TIL (technically yesterday, actually) that Nutter Butters are my wife's favorite premade cookie.  We've been married over 18 years.  I do most of the grocery shopping, and she never asked for them, but I saw they had a chocolate covered version yesterday and they sounded good to me.  Usually, I eat most of the sweets in the house by a significant margin.  She's matched me cookie-for-cookie since I opened them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/14/22 2:33 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

My parents were married something like 25 years before my mother learned that my father liked pumpkin pie.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/14/22 5:25 p.m.

TIL what a Morgan Lens is firsthand. Good God that was unpleasant

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RyAkFFUUZOkeRQOEGw30spNbOoD6xzMNDBc03aLCSi1tyIDJKtJQWD0Qyb6CCHRd