RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
7/26/22 10:14 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

And that's one of the assumptions you are making that I disagree with.

It seems as if you are assuming that the particular amino acid combination found in the human body is the only effective combination.

Actually, if anything, it's the only effective combination that works for the human body NOW... precisely because this is the way we've evolved.  But literally nothing says that this particular way is how we have to be.  We could easily have evolved in a nearly infinite number of different ways in response to the same selection pressures.

If you start with a finished human genome, you are correct, the odds of randomly making a separate human genome that is identical are astronomically, cataclysmically against.

But that isn't how life works.  We are the product of a nearly infinite set of chances, indeed... but there are a nearly infinite variety of ways we could have turned out instead.

Hi Duke,

My friend, you're making more assumptions about how people in my camp are preforming the calculations.

We're using Planck minimums for both time and distance to allow for the absolute maximum probabilistic resource (dice rolls) and we're assuming all materials are equally useful for coding life (of course, we're carbon based but silicone and ammonia may work fairly well but we're going flat out assuming all materials, hydrogen, oxygen, etc. are somehow just as good).

Further, we're not assuming that DNA or RNA are the only ways to store information...we're assuming an infinite number of ways to store information and all we care about is the number of dice rolls required to get the information required for life to be encoded (captured).

FWIW, I've read the top three pro-design books on the subject (Darwin's Doubt, Signature In The Cell, and something else I've forgotten) and I've read the top anti-design book on the subject (The God Delusion) all totaled, I've read 1,400+ pages of respected Ph.D.'s "Duking" it out.

Three primary technical skills are required to look at this (microbiology, organic chemistry, and statistics) and my primary skill set is statistical analysis; that's why I got into this.

Richard Dawkins, in his best selling book The God Delusion called people like me "theologians in a cheap suit" implying that we're just trying to wrap our religious belief system in modern science.  Boy is he ever wrong...baring weddings and funerals, I've been in a church exactly once in the last four decades.

Enough, we're going way too deep on this subject to be appropriate for the TIL thread.

Bottom line, I'm not convinced that we were designed, I'm not arguing that point, I just believe that we're fooling ourselves when we conclude that we know where where we came from; genesis event unknown, amazing opportunity / mystery for brave, smart, unbiased, scientists to work on.      

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/28/22 10:19 a.m.

TIL that the Toyota Yaris is named after Charis, the Greek god of..... Beauty? Hmmm. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/28/22 10:33 a.m.
NickD said:

TIL that the Toyota Yaris is named after Charis, the Greek god of..... Beauty? Hmmm. 

You should order Vitz badging for your car.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/28/22 10:43 a.m.
Duke said:
NickD said:

You should order Vitz badging for your car.

I'd much rather have the supercharger kit from the company that rhymes with Vitz (Blitz). I actually searched eBay for one but none were to be found.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/29/22 9:20 p.m.

TIL that (at least some) Diesel pusher Wanderlodges came with Detroit Diesels. 

That *noize*. Oof. 

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
8/2/22 8:25 p.m.

That Ford makes a Transit CREW wagon.....a row of seats behind front seats and huge cargo area behind that!surprise

Also TIL if I order today I might see it late next year.crying

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/6/22 10:24 a.m.

There are nerf claymore mines. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/6/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Oh good lord. I might have to get in trouble with my wife. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/6/22 2:22 p.m.
RevRico said:

There are nerf claymore mines. 

I want that.

I want it for good.

I want it for evil.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/7/22 4:09 p.m.

TIL that the first recorded Christian marriage in the continental US was interracial. 

The marriage between Luisa de Abrego, a free black domestic servant from Seville, and Miguel Rodríguez, a white Segovian, occurred in 1565 in St. Augustine. It is the first recorded Christian marriage in the continental United States.[22]

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/7/22 9:00 p.m.

TIL that apostates are an actual thing. I met one today, a former minister at that.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/7/22 9:20 p.m.

TIL that, before they merged into whatever flavor of BMC/BL/whatever the name was, Austin made a competitor to the Land Rover called the Gipsy. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/22 9:42 p.m.

TIL Roger Mosley was a licensed helicopter pilot.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/7/22 10:03 p.m.

More remembered than learned, but TIR that no matter how much trash folks talk on PAF humbuckers, I still love them. Get them right up in the business and hear 'em sing. Legendary for a reason. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/7/22 10:13 p.m.

YIL (yesterday I learned) that there is a TSA exemption for prescription liquid meds, IOW they don't have to conform to the 3oz limit that you have for normal liquids. Logical if you think about it, but news to me as I don't usual travel with a pile of medications. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
8/8/22 8:03 a.m.
Appleseed said:

TIL learned that if I'm ever going to binge watch something, I should probably binge watch the original (and only) Magnum P.I.

And once I'm done, it just makes natural sense to binge watch Simon & Simon.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/8/22 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I was actually really pleasantly surprised at how well Magnum PI held up over the decades.  I was a little bit on the young side to watch it when it was original - but I remember my classmates teasing one of my grade school teachers about her swooning over Thomas Magnum.  I found it on one of the streaming services and started watching it a little while ago.  Other than the clothes in the foreground (those tight shorts!  yikes!) and the cars in the background, that could be set today and it would still pretty much work.  Better than the new one, for sure!

TIL (technically yesterday, but it was fewer than 24 hours ago...):  I can indeed buy just the caliper bracket for the Excursion without buying a whole new caliper as well.  But the bracket doesn't come with the slide pins.  And neither the slide pins nor the bracket come with the slide pin dust boots.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
8/8/22 11:03 a.m.

TIL that if you extend the cinching lever to the 180 degree position of a ratchet strap, it releases the strap. All of these years and I never knew.blush

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
8/8/22 11:16 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

TIL that (at least some) Diesel pusher Wanderlodges came with Detroit Diesels. 

That *noize*. Oof. 

I went to school on busses with Detroit Diesel 671's laid flat and mounted as mid-engine. I don't recall them being louder than anything else. Are you referring to the noise they make in emergency equipment or when they have actual mufflers?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/8/22 11:58 a.m.

TIL.

Transverse BMWs?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/8/22 12:20 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

TIL that if you extend the cinching lever to the 180 degree position of a ratchet strap, it releases the strap. All of these years and I never knew.blush

Hmm, which makes me wonder: how were you releasing them before?

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
8/8/22 1:57 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Today I learned that Roger Mosley passed away yesterday.   Requiescet in Pace. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/8/22 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

X1s are transverse, I believe.  Legend has it that BMW surveyed their customer base and found out that most mainstream buyers already assumed their cars were FWD even when they weren't.

So BMW Engineering said "WTF are we bothering for?" and switched the smaller platforms to FWD or front-biased AWD.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
8/8/22 10:20 p.m.

TIL that there can be a wattage regulator in a ceiling fan with lights.  I learned that when I was troubleshooting the one in our breakfast nook that released its magic smoke when my wife turned it on at 5 this morning. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
8/9/22 12:14 p.m.

TIL that there are Audi A3 wheels in Europe that are 15" and look like this. Now I want to find a set for my Subaru. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rPU2CFKT8q5BLnb8i2ZsWJ4WBAKbu5CTRUbbP0UDSHvBmhHYWcAmFSjqZOoAH4cT