Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/10/22 3:46 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Today I didn't care to learn:

That is crazy.  Everyone knows that, because the salt balance is just right, the best soap is made from human fat.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/17/22 5:25 p.m.

Today I learned:

One of my patients went to high school with Jim Hall

Yes, that Jim Hall.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/18/22 9:05 a.m.

TIL that the plastic fuel lines on a Saab 900's fuel pump, though plastic does NOT stretch or expand and squeezing the tube over the check valve fitting with vise grips and all my might only moved it 1/4".  TIL a good mechanic earns every penny!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/22 9:08 a.m.

TIL Scheel-mann make seats for cars... my bank account didn't need me to learn that. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/18/22 10:11 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Had to deal with those on my old Bonneville SSEi.  Hot water or a heat gun on a low setting is your friend here, heats up the plastic enough to make it flexible.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/18/22 1:23 p.m.

TIL: There was a rumour at work that I was not the one to berkeley with, because earlier in my life somebody tried. And I killed him

WTF?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Own it. It's not every day someone is graced with that kind of weight without earning it.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/20/22 4:49 p.m.
Peabody said:

TIL: There was a rumour at work that I was not the one to berkeley with, because earlier in my life somebody tried. And I killed him

WTF?

Excellent.  Now you just have to come up with a good story to go with the rumor.

Do not tell them you shot a man in Reno just to watch him die, already been done.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/22 10:40 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

"...the sunnovabitch deserved it. Just kept pushing. Felt bad for the dog, though. But, what you gonna do?"

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
10/21/22 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

The Sheriff shot first. I swear it was in self defense. And I don't know what happened to the Deputy but it wasn't me.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/21/22 10:38 a.m.

"I don't kill everyone that pries into my business."

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/22/22 9:22 p.m.

You can't always expect to get poutine simply because the menu calls it poutine. 

The moment that I saw the waffle fries, I knew I was in for disappointment. sad  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/23/22 12:37 a.m.

I was at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio this weekend and I saw a lot of modified red early Miata's.  

According to my daughter/student a lot of d-bags at the school drive them.  

Based on the modifications I don't think the guys COULD BE d-bags?  Have I failed with her?

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/23/22 5:35 p.m.

TIL: my wife's '09 Jetta has an o-ring between the brake master cylinder and booster.  I never saw one when I took out the MC to bench bleed it, and couldn't figure out why I had no power to the brakes after reinstalling. 

Glad I didn't follow the hypothesis of a bad ABS pump causing hydrolock between the MC and ABS. Instead of throwing hundreds at it, we were back on the road for $0.87.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
10/24/22 10:44 a.m.

TIL that there is another person with my same name less than 100 miles away in Louisville- that is apparently a drummer. I learned this when I was going through and clearing out my email from the last few days and noticed an order confirmation email from Sweetwater (an instrument/production gear company- which I highly recommend if you need anything of that soert) for an order that I didn't have any idea about and had to search to figure out what the heck the order was for (a tom drum for a drum set it turns out). The billing & shipping addresses were mine, but the card used was one that I didn't recognize. So I called them up (they have very good- almost too good at times, they're a bit overenthusiastic- customer service) and eventually got to the bottom of things- the order was placed over the phone by someone the service agent actually knew but she saw that my account in the system and thought that it was his and assigned the order to it. They're transferring it over to the proper account, but it was a bit of excitement I wasn't expecting this morning.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/24/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Does that mean no candy?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
10/24/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I don't think they're going to just send me the candy. Amusingly, I still have the bag of candy from my last order from a good while ago sitting on my desk because I came across it while cleaning up over the weekend.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/25/22 9:53 p.m.

dude I talked to didn't know who big Texan was.  Never heard of him. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/26/22 9:25 p.m.

TIL that with Google, youtube, and some basic hand tools one can successfully overhaul the valve body and solenoids in a honking Allison 1000 tray under a motorhome.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/22 9:27 p.m.

TIL that in 2018 everyone in my title was removed from the state pension system for some reason. No one can explain way, or fix it apparently.  The only reason I stay in this God forsaken place was the hope of retiring before it kills me.  

wae
wae PowerDork
10/26/22 9:32 p.m.

Apparently what I call an "engine cover" Mazda and/or Alldata calls a "plug hole cover"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/22 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Cheese and berking rice. That sucks. I hope they can figure something out.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
10/28/22 9:22 a.m.

I was listening to Justin Bell's podcast with David Hobbs and learned that Hobbs father invented an automatic transmission that David raced with and Jimmy Clark used it in the first Sports car race at Daytona.

Howard Frederick Hobbs and His Transmission Heritage

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/28/22 9:38 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I was at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio this weekend and I saw a lot of modified red early Miata's.  

According to my daughter/student a lot of d-bags at the school drive them.  

Based on the modifications I don't think the guys COULD BE d-bags?  Have I failed with her?

The d-bag quotient is pretty high at Miami University, so it is quite possible.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/28/22 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

We have lawyers working on it. Apparently very shortly after we decided to organize, mostly because of things they were doing with our pay and time, we stopped accruing time towards our pensions. Odd coincidence. 

Our Preferred Partners
civQGTkjPVvefsZbzMYd7XKoXMhzYjkJjAGPz1CDFOFOmrQpskvoG6K8qXCPnGij