NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
11/18/22 4:04 p.m.

TIL that my friend who owns a body shop did 2 awesome things last week. 
1- bought an older 24' ish enclosed trailer and then proceeded to cut the back 2/3 off so you could see his vintage modified when he hails it down the road. 
2- bought a second vintage modified that was (allegedly) made by the same chassis guy that made some of the iconic Richie Evans pintos. It is also a pinto and based on comparing what I saw to Evans pics it is very likely. 
This is useless without pictures and I didn't take any because I was in a rush. I'll get back to the shop next week and take some pics. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/18/22 4:54 p.m.

TIL how to make Saab valve covers attractive.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/18/22 9:57 p.m.

TIL my older brother doesn't understand the ramifications of texting "Are you free for me to call?" when you have elderly parents.  Turns out everyone is good just a normal family BS how are we doing Christmas thing.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/18/22 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

TIL my brother lost his job. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/20/22 5:34 p.m.

TIL that Adam West was seriously considered for the role of James Bond after Sean Connery. The irony was that Adam West turned the role down because he felt the role should be played by a British person, despite the fact that Connery was Scottish and Connery's eventual replacement, George Lazenby, was Australian. Cary Grant was also a strong contender for the role, but refused to sign on for a multi-film deal.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/21/22 8:32 a.m.

Racing camels have gotten 30% faster in recent history, and child jockeys were replaced by small robots.  The things you learn listening to overnight radio. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/21/22 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

If I didn't trust you, I swear that's a page out of Mad Libs.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/21/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Good lord, the history behind those is horrifying. They're made to replace the child jockeys that were around 4 years old, bought (as in they are slaves) by the camel owners, and starved to keep them small. WHAAT THE HELL

Also, this pic from Wikipedia of some robot jockeys was interesting to me:

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/21/22 1:01 p.m.

This is some form of dystopian hell. There's camel racing, which may have issues in itself on the humane side of things. Then there's slave jockeys which is horrifying and brings up political issues we shouldn't get into here. Then there's robots taking over the jobs, which should be a good thing at first glance, but there are always unintended consequences (pretty horrible possibilities I'd rather not think on). The whole thing seems like it could be an episode of futurama. What a world. 

After looking at those "robots" I'm having thoughts about the drill motor based challenge speed competition.... 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/21/22 3:15 p.m.

It was an insane reporT. Our NPR affiliate runs BBC shows overnight and the story just kept taking bizarre twists. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/21/22 3:23 p.m.

Camel racing brought to you by Makita.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/21/22 3:25 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I mean, the spec series would have to be based around the hammer store brand, but I digress. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/21/22 3:26 p.m.

Today I learned that a 21 Forte GT auto with bolt ons and a tune can run a 12.881@109mph. 250whp on the 1.6T

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/21/22 9:52 p.m.

TIL that I should've left the ripped Honda Pilot door weatherstrip alone cause I can't seem to figure out how to get the new rubber under the chrome trim on top of the door.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/22/22 2:08 p.m.

TIL that Bowling For Soup's song "1985" is a cover.  It was originally performed by SR-71, who even rewrote some of the lyrics for the Bowling For Soup version.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/22/22 7:42 p.m.

TIL that I have matured enough to refrain from stomping someone out in the doctor's lounge, no matter how much they deserve it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/28/22 10:38 p.m.

TIL (well, yesterday, forgot to post until today) that Herb Alpert spent most of the 70s with a mental block that prevented him from being able to play the trumpet.  He even took college psychology courses trying to figure it out.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/29/22 7:07 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

TIL that Bowling For Soup's song "1985" is a cover.  It was originally performed by SR-71, who even rewrote some of the lyrics for the Bowling For Soup version.

I also just learned that from you! Bowling for Soup is great.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/29/22 7:18 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Herb Alpert is fantastic. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/29/22 9:48 a.m.

TIL that changing oil on a 2022 Kia Carnival is a PIA.   Cartridge oil filters?  I thought we quit those in the 50's.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/29/22 10:12 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that changing oil on a 2022 Kia Carnival is a PIA.   Cartridge oil filters?  I thought we quit those in the 50's.

I think you have a surprise coming. They are more and more common.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/29/22 1:30 p.m.

It turns out they are more enviro-friendly, especially in areas where garbage is incinerated.

Plus it is hard to cheap out on the filter media, which is another bonus.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/7/22 5:25 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

TIL that there is another person with my same name less than 100 miles away in Louisville- that is apparently a drummer. I learned this when I was going through and clearing out my email from the last few days and noticed an order confirmation email from Sweetwater (an instrument/production gear company- which I highly recommend if you need anything of that soert) for an order that I didn't have any idea about and had to search to figure out what the heck the order was for (a tom drum for a drum set it turns out). The billing & shipping addresses were mine, but the card used was one that I didn't recognize. So I called them up (they have very good- almost too good at times, they're a bit overenthusiastic- customer service) and eventually got to the bottom of things- the order was placed over the phone by someone the service agent actually knew but she saw that my account in the system and thought that it was his and assigned the order to it. They're transferring it over to the proper account, but it was a bit of excitement I wasn't expecting this morning.

I will never, ever have this problem.  I am the only person on the planet with my name.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/7/22 5:46 p.m.
dculberson said:

I think you have a surprise coming. They are more and more common.

I now own at least three, maybe four, vehicles with cartridge filters: Toyota, Jeep, and Porsche. And possibly the new Honda, but we haven't gotten to the first oil change yet. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/7/22 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

My old 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 V6 pentastar had the oil filter cartridge. I could change the oil without lifting the vehicle up at all. 

Now we have a 2021 Durango with the V8 and its a normal filter and I now have to put the vehicle up on ramps for an oil change even though its basically the same under pinnings.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0qjq7Qdwl4bAjkHSJbGYRSbs2wJ3k1HFJfAhzE8NHB0uwHglvifzRM71mcJZw0SB