11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
12/16/22 6:32 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

Nope.

I could barely walk and I hurt a lot afterwards from the "empty".

TIL to not get in a “urination” contest with Pete. laugh

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/16/22 7:17 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

That was 20 years ago, I would probably lose to a pregnant Chihuahua nowadays

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
12/16/22 11:06 p.m.

TIL  that our galaxy was made from a giant star that in its short life (due to its size) Supernova'd. Thus creating a large amount natural elements and gases. Due to the release of these extremely hot items, new stars and planets were created. 

The one thing that Physicist write about is Dark Matter (it is dark because we cannot see it). Authors have written about Rouge Planets, Asteroids and comets. It comes to mind that all of those items can be made without a star to make them visible and could be just lurking out in the middle of  space. No heat, no orbit just Dark Matter

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/17/22 2:19 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Whenever I'm feeling down, I remind myself that we are all made of stars.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
12/17/22 3:28 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

So, if dark matter only interacts with regular matter through gravity, shouldn't there be a lot of it that migrated to the center of the earth?

Livescience.com: Meet 'The Blobs': Two Continent-Size Mountains in Earth's Deep Mantle That Nobody Understands

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/17/22 4:56 p.m.

I thought "dark matter" was just non-radiative matter that we can't see with telescopes.  We can see stars, we can see some planets, but we have planets we could only detect (at first) by calculating their gravitational perturbation.

How much mass does a completely dead star that didn't go nova account for?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/17/22 5:17 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

Nope.

I could barely walk and I hurt a lot afterwards from the "empty".

TIL I learned that Pete l33t FS would make a good over the road truck driver.   

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
12/17/22 5:36 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I thought "dark matter" was just non-radiative matter that we can't see with telescopes.  We can see stars, we can see some planets, but we have planets we could only detect (at first) by calculating their gravitational perturbation.

"New, more accurate measurements of a group of colliding galaxies appear to indicate that the mysterious substance likely interacts with itself and ordinary matter only via gravity,"

Space.com: This [Gravity] Is (Probably) the Only Way Dark Matter Interacts with Ordinary Matter

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
12/17/22 8:06 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

From my readings it is a brown dwarf, with a maximum mass of 8 percent of our sun’s, or about 80 times the mass of Jupiter.   They do not nova or become a different type of star. They end up just cold and drifting in there galaxy. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
12/17/22 11:38 p.m.

I think that you are talking about a Sun sized star becoming a White Dwarf which in the process of blowing off its outer shells at the end of its life, becomes a Red Giant which will engulf the Earth and what is left then shrinks down to the size of the Earth.

Density of "1 tonne per cubic centimetre". Or about the size of a sugar cube.

Hence why Thor's hammer was impossible to lift. Unless you were worthy.

Wikipedia.com: White dwarf

Sirius A and B

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/19/22 8:59 a.m.

TIL (something that probably everybody else already knows) that silver is the most electrically conductive element. I had always thought that it was gold.

Neil deGrasse Tyson 

14h  · 

Congratulations Argentina in your World Cup Victory.

Not that anybody asked, but…

The chemical symbol for Silver, the most electrically conductive element on the Periodic Table, is “Ag,” from the Latin “Argentum,” after which Argentina is named.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/19/22 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

It's also the most reflective. It might have at least one other "most" but I havent had eenuff coffee yet to remember.. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/19/22 9:19 a.m.
Jay_W said:

It's also the most reflective. It might have at least one other "most" but I havent had eenuff coffee yet to remember.. 

^TIL.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/19/22 10:51 a.m.

When I was in the AF I won a free day off when my Staff Sargent said gold was the most conductive. I walked in the next day with a book from the library showing silver was and got the rest of the day off. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/19/22 10:57 a.m.

Gold's advantage is its non-tarnishing / corroding nature. I've got a lot of silver plated electrical connectors - they're used frequently in radio and microwave installations, especially military. But once they're exposed to oxygen they tarnish and need polished before reconnection.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/19/22 10:58 a.m.

IIRC, the advantage of gold over silver is it isn't as reactive with air, so doesn't lose conductivity like silver can.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/29/22 4:43 p.m.

Today i learned that a 5/8" fireplace door gasket is a different size than a 5/8"pellet stove door gasket. 

Because of berkeleying course 5/8" isn't 5/8".

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/29/22 5:10 p.m.

TIL that my wife has absolutely no sense of humor.

I added a new Ring security camera to my entry and for fun, I put on a hoodie, grabbed a crow bar, and did a cartoonish tip-tow up the entry followed by an equally cartoonish discovery of the camera / flustered run away.

She got the alert and just texted "thank you". sad     

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/29/22 7:28 p.m.
Stampie said:

When I was in the AF I won a free day off when my Staff Sargent said gold was the most conductive. I walked in the next day with a book from the library showing silver was and got the rest of the day off. 

In the Corps you'd have done at least 100 push-ups for mouthing off to a staff NCO...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/29/22 7:34 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

That's why the AF values thinking over doing whatever you're told.  You do know that the AF enlisted in the smartest armed force.  We're the ones that send the officers off to fight while all the rest go fight for the officers.  Love my Marine brothers.  Semper Fi.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/29/22 7:52 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

In the Corps you'd have done at least 100 push-ups for mouthing off to a staff NCO...

The grunts I know probably would have said it was worth it.

12/29/22 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Baaah, sometimes thinking's overrated...  laugh

12/29/22 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Absolutely. I was just pointing out that it would not be a similar reward...

iansane
iansane Dork
12/30/22 10:44 a.m.
Stealthtercel said:

A few days ago I learned that the police in York Region (the urban area immediately north of Toronto) have at least one unmarked Mazda 6 in their fleet. (There was a news photo of an Incident involving a shoot-out with home invasion suspects.) Seems like an outlier choice.

My mother worked for DEA in the late 70s/80s and for the EPA in the 90s. Our driveway always had some oddball drug seizure cars. Drug dealers/traffickers, with a few exceptions, have terrible taste in cars.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/30/22 1:05 p.m.

TIL that I can get tires in 185 45 15. An oddball size, but it can work very nicely on both the Firefly turbo, and the Spark. It's nice to have options

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MQGaADkKAMa7oMh42Ttl72W1eg3suTrQ4HdydUDYU1zWG2VXNBPF3yvos5ZAHAJM