RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/12/23 12:33 p.m.

TIL if I put the magnifying thing into my welding helmet backwards, it makes me feel really drunk and nauseous.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/13/23 2:27 p.m.

TIL Washington State wants to ban gas and propane stoves in new homes.  12% of children with asthma grew up with gas in the house, lets banish it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/13/23 2:34 p.m.

TIL that TIL that gas stoves are an issue with asthmatic youngsters.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/13/23 2:55 p.m.

And teflon pans are bad for canaries.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/23 3:01 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Except that they really aren't.

There is not very much (if any) correlation at all.  It's a scare tactic to coerce people away from gas because fossil fuel environment something.

Never mind where the electricity comes from since we're not allowed to build nuclear any more...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/13/23 3:06 p.m.
914Driver said:

TIL Washington State wants to ban gas and propane stoves in new homes.  12% of children with asthma grew up with gas in the house, lets banish it.

The study’s conclusion is that 12.7% of childhood asthma cases are caused by gas stoves, not that 12% of children with asthma are in homes with gas stoves.  If that had been the conclusion, then it would meant gas stoves are safer than electric regarding asthma, since gas stoves are in about 35% of homes.

The calls for banning them are being overhyped right now, mostly by those with an agenda.  IMHO, this calls for more study, and if it is backed up by more peer-reviewed studies, there probably should be some consideration of a ban on new gas stoves.  There should also be research on the unintended consequences of a ban, too, to make sure the cure isn't worse than the disease.  I'm old enough to remember pushback against banning CFCs, and I would hazard a guess there was similar pushback against lead paint and leaded gas...

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
1/13/23 3:27 p.m.

TIL it takes roughly 20 seconds to fall 220'. 
feel free to correct my math, but it should be close. 
The question came about while reminiscing about the only time I've been to San Francisco. The GGB is 220' above water. While there, I did what any 17yo would do, and answered natures call. Now, I know the stream would cease to be a stream before long, but if there was a way to maintain a stream, you'd only need to go for 20s to hit water. Totally attainable. Now to figure out how to make an unbroken stream and plan another trip...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/13/23 3:39 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

With no wind resistance, I think it'd be under 4 seconds (accelerating at 32 ft/s^2 ).   I'm not sure what the wind resistance would be, or terminal velocity.

barefootcyborg5000
1/13/23 3:45 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Hmmm. I didn't do the math, just found a quick online calculator. 4 seconds of free fall doesn't seem as impressive. Also I don't know how to calculate the wind resistance on a stream, although technically maybe it's a column? Idk. Calling all resident physicists. Let do math!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/23 3:47 p.m.

This disagrees with you, but I still think you can make it happen.  The average human adult pees about 500ml per day.  Let's assume you pee 5x / day.

According to this, 100g of urine should take about 33.5 seconds to free fall 220 feet, with air resistance.

Ignoring air resistance it only takes about 3.7 seconds.

barefootcyborg5000
1/13/23 3:54 p.m.

There's just so many variables. How hard are you pushing, what's the initial angle of acceleration. Most importantly, how high it the arch? 
Id like to crowdsource this research. We can get the mythbusters folks out to the bay to conduct the tests. It's hit tv, I guarantee it. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/13/23 4:01 p.m.

Wow, that's a lot of air resistance to slow it down that much.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/13/23 4:07 p.m.
Duke said:
Datsun310Guy said:

There is not very much (if any) correlation at all.  It's a scare tactic to coerce people away from gas because fossil fuel environment something.

Never mind where the electricity comes from since we're not allowed to build nuclear any more...

TIL that I'm keeping my gas stove.  I lived my entire life until age 39 with electric stovetops.  Gas burners are magic......

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/23 4:09 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I used the default value from air resistance.  I'm sure more research could refine that number a bit.

barefootcyborg5000
1/13/23 4:21 p.m.
Duke said:
eastsideTim said:

I used the default value from air resistance.  I'm sure more research could refine that number a bit.

Google says that raindrops fall between 15 and 25mph. Safe to assume said stream would devolve into something like raindrops before falling very far. If we assume high, and don't take into account acceleration time, we need at least 6s. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/23 4:53 p.m.

It looks like the default drag coefficient was way too high for a water drop - several orders of magnitude too high.  It appears to be about 7.0×10-6 kg/m.

Correcting that value shows about 6.7 seconds with air resistance.

I'm also assuming a horizontal, ummm, expulsion vector in order to eliminate the force of expulsion from the freee fall velocity.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/13/23 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Looks like about 2-3 m/s is the first thing I could find from a semi-reputable source, so starting at about 9 ft/s downward could knock some time off if aimed downward, but I'd assume air resistance at that speed would be enough to make the calculation not overly simple.  I'd hazard a guess the most it would reduce the time by is about a second or so.

This definitely seems like a Friday afternoon discussion.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/13/23 5:09 p.m.

What's the terminal velocity of piss?

barefootcyborg5000
1/13/23 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

About 25mph depending on wind conditions. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/13/23 5:27 p.m.

I've searched, in vain, for a Mad magazine Don Martin cartoon that has a guy standing on the sidewalk when it starts to rain, and he breaks into dance and "Singing in the Rain".  Turn the page, and he's below a rooftop long distance spitting competition.

Can't imagine why I thought of that in this thread.

barefootcyborg5000
1/13/23 5:33 p.m.

Well now I have a dream of opening a destination toilet. Someplace with a view where you could complete your business before impact. I ever hit the lottery I'll build it and give free admission to anyone who drives up in a car sporting a dork badge. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/13/23 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

And now I'm thinking of the house party scene with Stifler in American Pie 2.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/13/23 6:06 p.m.
Duke said:
Datsun310Guy said:

Must. Not. Flounder.

I’m glad I’m not the only one calling bullE36 M3 on this.   I get it, we’re heading towards an electrified future.  But I don’t know, maybe instead of scaring the underinformed masses E36 M3less about their household appliances maybe put some effort into new generation and grid infrastructure to support the electrified future first.  

Here in the northeast something like 60% (I may be overstating but that’s my understanding) of our electricity is generated by natural gas.  That’s OK but I’m going to poison my family if I light my stovetop, use the gas clothes dryer or heat my home and domestic water using a pretty efficient gas fired boiler.  The rate for our latest electric bill was $0.34 per kWh, that’s double last year and even then we were among the highest electrical rates in the US. That has a lot to do with our regional fuel choice.

It’s easy to go after Mr and Mrs. homeowner in cases like this as opposed to getting the utilities to step up and maintain/ improve their infrastructure.  Maybe get that part going first and I’ll happily do my part.  If we all jumped on the electric heat pump / stove / water heater / car bandwagon right now we’d all freeze to death in the dark because we don’t have any where near the generation capacity to keep up with the demand all this will create.  Heck, regionally we barely have the capacity to meet our current demand. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/13/23 6:14 p.m.

TIL that it wasn't that Hitler was bad at art and got rejected from art school, as is commonly told, it was that the art school believed that he was better suited to being an architect rather than an artist.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/14/23 3:23 p.m.

TIL everything has an angle and everything will piss off somebody.  I was miffed, annoyed, surprised (?) maybe not, at the speculation of a ban.  Another example of inconveniencing the many to appease the few.  Apologies and I will be more careful in the future.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
suFT7Ostr3NXd4dKaChooMOeQwwRjLpEt4RCswKZwWX4OkyCjHysLIMtOMr3X5vr