Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/24/23 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I forgot all about that show. It was awesome. And I think Viper came on right afterwards.

iansane
iansane Dork
1/24/23 3:59 p.m.

TIL I'm related to Taylor Hawkins. But it looks like the split was way back in 1648 on the other side of the pond. So, pretty distant.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/27/23 10:32 a.m.

TIL that Tesco Vee formed The Meatmen in Lansing MI.  Although i see no reference to MSU, i still have to say:

GO GREEN!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/27/23 11:42 p.m.

TIL that Dan Rowan of Laugh-in fame was a P-40 pilot in the Pacific theatre. He had 2 confirmed kills before getting shot down and badly wounded.

He was awarded the DFC with leaves, the Air Medal, and of course the Purple Heart.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/28/23 9:38 a.m.
Duke said:

of course the Purple Heart.

When I was a kid I remember listening to 8 track tapes of Gene Tracy in my Dad's Eldorado.  The punchline of a joke involving two old ladies was,

He has a Purple Heart on. 

Well, I don't care what colour it is, let him in. 

That's what I think about every time I hear Purple Heart. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/28/23 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

And wax shot out both of his ears.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/28/23 12:59 p.m.

TIL that the helicopter crash in Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes was not staged or even in the script. The pilot tried to do the cool flared landing, smashed the tail rotor into the ground, and then he was just along for the ride. You can see the exact moment the cop in the foreground stops acting and realizes things just went wrong.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
1/28/23 5:43 p.m.

TIL the third of three annoying things about the GMC Terrain rental car I'm in---

1. the toggle switch transmission control is dumb
  2. The "stylish" raised window line aft of the c pillar leaves you looking at a big hunk of interior when you change lanes to the left
  3. When open, the hatch raises just far enough to be out of sight, but remains low enough for a good solid bonk on the head. 

What I don't know is whether I'm better off with these shortcomings than the Nissans that were my other choices in the rental lot. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/29/23 8:01 a.m.

TIL that Honey West has a pretty nice car, I was never allowed to stay up that late as a kid.  289 Cobra loaned by Shelby.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
1/30/23 11:30 a.m.

TIL the Geo hood badges have a Chevy bowtie in the center.  The "Geo" text/logo does not.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3k0AAOxycD9TPdj4/s-l400.jpghttps://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xDurbE-MgTjmL4cUBAB-RQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=f056049551665a69270b757f7db82e13359f172cd862980102e649e980a5e33f&ipo=images

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/30/23 2:29 p.m.

TIL some insurance companies won't cover certain Kia models, too easy to steal.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/31/23 10:55 a.m.

That I like David E Davis even more:

"If you have never driven a Saab, you have been culturally deprived for too long. You owe this to yourself. —David E. Davis. Jr."

From a C&D article on a pre production 77 SAAB 99 Turbo.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/31/23 10:59 a.m.

TIL that there is a cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Rod Argent, Steve Hillage, Ian Paice, and Bootsy Collins.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/31/23 8:38 p.m.

TIL that greek yogurt is better on a baked potato than sour cream. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/31/23 11:20 p.m.
RossD said:

TIL that greek yogurt is better on a baked potato than sour cream. 

full fat Greek yogurt also makes a killer raising canes sauce clone just replace the mayo with yogurt. I think it's even better than the mayo based sauce. 

TIL that the 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 6 has a coefficient of drag of 0.22cd, which is very good.

But the 1938 Tatra T77A has a coefficient of drag of 0.21cd

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/1/23 4:07 p.m.
Duke said:

TIL that there is a cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Rod Argent, Steve Hillage, Ian Paice, and Bootsy Collins.

And it's pretty good.

There's a reason nobody covers Pink Floyd songs...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/1/23 9:03 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

The first time I saw a side view of Ioniq6 my brain screamed Tatra! Neither are beautiful, but both attract me strongly. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/5/23 9:32 p.m.

TIL.  When you have both in you hands. That a 1993 Miata and a 1994 Miata cat back exhaust are slightly different. 

I had put it off this past fall on doing  the swap. I went on road trips instead.  I never snooped around about any differences between them.  Though about buying one but never pushed the buy button. So today I said..I will just do the swap. It's nice out. I have time. Jacked up the parts car and removed the exhaust. Ate something. Put the lifted Miata on jackstands. Removed its exhaust. Put them side by side. Saw that the angles of the Catalytic Converter mounting points are different. Whipped out the tape measure. E36 M3  The spacing between the bolts are bigger. They could not leave the exhaust the same for ALL NA's?? Apparently not.  So I thought I have another exhaust that I bought for this Miata. I carried it out of the spot I keep it. I thought when I bought it... "This is way cool! Three inch pipe with muffler and Cat!" Well it wasn't for a NA. It is about 3-4 inches too long. 

Now I have my DD exhaust out. So I did this.

The three silver pieces are a Cat removal spacer. It came with the lifted Miata when I purchased it.

The last picture is it all installed. I cut off about a inch and a half of the original Cat front pipe parts. Leaving enough to weld too without getting near the converter area. Welded the new conectors in place. It now fits. It is larger than the original Cat. Now if I am still having the problem with the Catalytic Converter material disapearing.. Now it will not cost me $300 if it does.  I do not know if it was eaten away before I bought the car or if bumpy, vibrating gravel/dirt roads caused it? I will find out.

While out to dinner the other night and waiting for our meals to get to the table, someone said "how long could it possibly take to boil water"? After a few additional adult beverages someone mentioned that back in school they were told that "cold water boils faster than hot water"! Now, I've heard it said before but 2 people at the table actually believed it to be true. Seriously they believed it! So, yesterday morning I had to prove her wrong. Yep, my better half was one of those believers. We grabbed a pot, measuring cup and pyrometer and headed to the stove. The 4 cups of water that went on the stove at 120* came to a rolling boil in 9 minutes. The water that went in at 55* boiled in 12-1/2 minutes. The room temp water, 67* boiled in 12 minutes.

Bottom line, warmer water boiled faster than colder water. I knew it, but 2 people learned a lesson today, debunked a myth and now question everything their high school science teacher ever said!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/6/23 8:40 a.m.

And hot water freezes faster than cold!

My high school science teacher was a woman,  past her prime, but in very good physical condition. She had a great body, but an old lady hairdo, and we were convinced that she was berkeleying the hunky young gym teacher. But above all, she never missed the opportunity to make something a joke, often inappropriate, which we all thought was pretty cool. I didn't learn E36 M3 in her class, and in retrospect, she was an idiot.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/6/23 8:47 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

While out to dinner the other night and waiting for our meals to get to the table, someone said "how long could it possibly take to boil water"? After a few additional adult beverages someone mentioned that back in school they were told that "a old water boils faster than hot water"! Now, I've heard it said before but 2 people at the table actually believed it to be true. Seriously they believed it! So, yesterday morning I had to prove her wrong. Yep, my better half was one of those believers. We grabbed a pot, measuring cup and pyrometer and headed to the stove. The 4 cups of water that went on the stove at 120* came to a rolling boil in 9 minutes. The water that went in at 55* boiled in 12-1/2 minutes. The room temp water, 67* boiled in 12 minutes.

Bottom line, warmer water boiled faster than colder water. I knew it, but 2 people learned a lesson today, debunked a myth and now question everything their high school science teacher ever said!

Can you do the hot water freezes faster than cold one now?  There is some sort of science-ey explanation, but I still call bull...

BoulderG
BoulderG New Reader
2/6/23 10:12 a.m.

I salute you, Lotusseven7!!

I had this same discussion/argument a few times. The response I got was "Actually, what it means is if you boil water and then let it cool to room temp, that water will boil faster than new room temperature water." Really? Those things seem completely different AND it seems like a pointless bit of research! (Though it does make sense, since the first boiling should remove a lot of dissolved gases and you're now just boiling the water.)

Thank you for your research, and yes, please check on the freezing thing!

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
2/7/23 4:03 a.m.

Today, we'll actually Saturday, I learned that there are still people in the world with a humongous urge to win, a big dose of team spirit and monstrous brass kahunas - watch Ross Ashby (nickname "Horse") 38M put it on the line for his team multiple times, not shown in the video standing on the track after the finish to shake hands with the other team.

Warning - don't try this at home smiley

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/7/23 7:54 a.m.
Peabody said:

And hot water freezes faster than cold!

My high school science teacher was a woman,  past her prime, but in very good physical condition. She had a great body, but an old lady hairdo, and we were convinced that she was berkeleying the hunky young gym teacher. But above all, she never missed the opportunity to make something a joke, often inappropriate, which we all thought was pretty cool. I didn't learn E36 M3 in her class, and in retrospect, she was an idiot.

Might want to rethink your opinion of her:

https://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html

now, I have never repeated the experiment myself. Maybe with the kids getting old enough it could be a fun "question your basis" type experiment. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vFqvePFn8MSsFlHPtHv0AMdnIQPyN5cJG9Ht4jCzYa4S4C6GCAdcue6zKdAD7UEU