1 2 3 4
Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
4/11/16 8:01 p.m.

My wife to our toddler: "How old are you?"

Toddler: "Frogs!"

Today I learned our daughter is "frogs" years old.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
4/11/16 8:11 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Today I learned how much product can be ejected from a broken high pressure sewage forced main, and how rapidly someone can be covered in it. I also learned how quickly I can disconnect a pump when there is absolutely nothing whatsoever I care about other than getting said pump disconnected.

That sounds like a crappy job...

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
4/11/16 8:17 p.m.

The second day of wearing new to me bifocal contact lenses is just as bad as the first.

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy HalfDork
4/11/16 8:39 p.m.

Today I learned what was making the bad clunking noise in my wife's car this morning.

I also learned that the rear shock upper mounts on the Mazda5 are made of the metallic equivalent of mdf board.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
4/14/16 2:56 p.m.

Today I learned that someone can have a very good eye for design, alignment, etc., and still look like a complete tool if they use their skills to precisely place three chrome Ventiports on each front fender of their Honda Fit.

Seriously.

On the other hand, I also learned that a 2nd-gen Avalanche, in basic white, lowered maybe two inches over all-black alloys, looks totally badass, so maybe it evens out.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
4/14/16 2:57 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: My wife to our toddler: "How old are you?" Toddler: "Frogs!" Today I learned our daughter is "frogs" years old.

My three-year-old told me yesterday that "giraffe penises are probably blue."

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/14/16 3:44 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Today I learned that someone can have a very good eye for design, alignment, etc., and still look like a complete tool if they use their skills to precisely place three chrome Ventiports on each front fender of their Honda Fit. Seriously.

Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick?

Today I learned those public baby changing stations are spec-ed to withstand the force of two (or maybe even more?) humans having sex on them. Think about that one the next time you're changing poopy diapers at the mall...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/14/16 4:18 p.m.
Furious_E wrote:
Stealthtercel wrote: Today I learned that someone can have a very good eye for design, alignment, etc., and still look like a complete tool if they use their skills to precisely place three chrome Ventiports on each front fender of their Honda Fit. Seriously.
Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick? Today I learned those public baby changing stations are spec-ed to withstand the force of two (or maybe even more?) humans having sex on them. Think about that one the next time you're changing poopy diapers at the mall...

And how did we learn that?

calteg
calteg Dork
4/14/16 4:20 p.m.

The 09+ Mini coopers have a second glovebox, right in front of the passenger. It looks like it's where the airbag should be.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/14/16 4:56 p.m.
Furious_E wrote:
Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick? Today I learned those public baby changing stations are spec-ed to withstand the force of two (or maybe even more?) humans having sex on them. Think about that one the next time you're changing poopy diapers at the mall...

But what size people?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
4/14/16 8:46 p.m.

Today I learned that the only real issue with fitting a 4L80E trans into a first gen Camaro is finding a tight 90 fitting for the cooling lines. Difficulty increased by the 13x1.5mm thread on the transmission case for the fittings.

TCI to the rescue, in case anybody else cares.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-831011/overview/

As long as I can find a billet 90, I'm golden. Well, that and a hammer to move the tunnel out a wee smidgen.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
4/14/16 9:49 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Furious_E wrote:

Simple trial and error, obviously. Start at 4 people, work backwards until the table doesn't break.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/15/16 8:07 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Furious_E wrote:

Fun fact from my boss, apparently a previous employer of his was either bidding on or awarded a contract to produce a bunch of the things.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/15/16 8:09 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Assume you have to go worst case scenario...like 95th percentile of Walmart shoppers x2 with a safety factor of like 3 at least. So damn, those things must be strong!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
4/15/16 2:49 p.m.
Furious_E wrote:
Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick?

I can think of worse.

Today I learned that the port on my laptop that I thought was HDMI isn't. I'm glad it was only in front of three people, none of whom knew any better.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
4/15/16 2:54 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

DisplayPort I'm guessing. Need an adapter. Its BS.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
4/15/16 3:14 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Furious_E wrote:
I can think of worse. Today I learned that the port on my laptop that I thought was HDMI isn't. I'm glad it was only in front of three people, none of whom knew any better.

I kinda figured this was coming . I was thinking more along the lines of the 99% of Buicks you actually see driving around, with Grandpa behind the wheel. More like this:

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
4/15/16 3:56 p.m.

TIL when the guy at O'Reilly gets hung up in the backroom for like 10 minutes on some commercial order, you should double check he pulled the right part. Needed K060605 (as my receipt says), got K060685, about 8 inches too long. Noticed this when I had it all routed and was getting ready to pop it over the alternator pulley, with a handful of belt left.

Also, the MasterPro belts seem pretty nice for the cheapest one in town, the wrong one I got was made in USA.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
4/15/16 7:14 p.m.

Today I re-learned that evaporust is essentially witchcraft. Sure, they claim it's engineered and stuff, but I'm not buying it.

I'm buying evaporust, lots of it, but not that story, I mean.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/20/16 9:59 a.m.

TIL how to visually determine a Ford Pinto engine from a Lima engine.

The Pinto:

Notice the distributor is in front of intake runner #1

The Lima:

[EDITED} The Pinto has 10 valve cover bolts and the Lima only has 8. The Lima was the only one to come with 8 spark plugs too.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/20/16 1:15 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Furious_E wrote: Ugh, these are a major pet peeve of mine. Who wants their car to look like a berkeleying Buick?
I can think of worse.

TIL that GNXs have 80s-look portholes and GNs don't.

And here I thought I knew all of the nerdo-weird differences between the two...

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/20/16 1:17 p.m.
RossD wrote: The Lima has 10 valve cover bolts and the Pinto only has 8. The Pinto was the only one to come with 8 spark plugs too.

Don't you mean the other way around? Lots of Lima-engined Mustangs and Rangers with 8 plug heads. I don't think they ever even made a Pinto engine with EDIS.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/20/16 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Oops, yup got it backwards.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
4/20/16 3:20 p.m.

I learned if you are cleaning out a backed up sink keep the 5 gallon bucket around even if you don't think there could me more that a gallon in the sink. Oh and the only electric tool I hate using is the sewer snake. Felt a bit like SVrex covered in sink muck.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
4/20/16 9:20 p.m.

I already knew my dads old Chevy express 3500 work van had a weight limit designated by Chevy. I assume it had some safety margin in that number. He had constant problems with everything, suspension, brakes, chassis, everything but the engine (which was problem free for the 150k miles he had the truck). I thought it was a sucky truck compared to his E-350, which doesn't break constantly, despite similar weight ratings and identical loading.

Today I learned his Chevy had been airborne, more than once. Mayyybe it wasn't all GM's fault the thing kept having problems...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wkbRwAS15j3kY2mNqxNzd4bgVnKV7fW2hjg7lM6BKJtL50pxRj9CPOaABiq94p7w