Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/10/18 10:31 a.m.

Today i learned that 50% of the weight of tbe dash in a miata are in the airbag and stereo.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/10/18 10:40 a.m.

TIL that I can buy made to fit flares for my 4 door RX-3 as well as new glass for everything except the windshield.

I wonder how different 2 door and 4 door glass is.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
6/11/18 8:21 p.m.

TIL the rivet that holds the outer window sweep on a 1997 Mustang is stronger than the sheet metal it's attached to. It tore off when I rolled the window up.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
6/12/18 7:47 a.m.

TIL that I would rather get bedliner than POR-15 on my hootus. Fortunately, I got neither on that particular region of my body, but in the spots I did get POR-15 on my arms and legs it WILL NOT come off unless the skin it's attached to is removed as well. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/12/18 8:10 a.m.

Yup. Por15 sticks like syphilis. 

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
6/12/18 12:44 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Yup. Por15 sticks like syphilis. 

You want to smear vaseline on any skin that might come into contact with it.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
6/12/18 12:57 p.m.

Don't pack drunk.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
6/12/18 1:05 p.m.

There's a person on BookFace named Berkeley Choate and they are a car person as I had a discussion about the use of Audi Transaxles in mid-engined high powered home built vehicles.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/12/18 1:08 p.m.

Today i learned that the nut holding the grant steering wheel adapter loosened and fell off.

Luckily i found it in the driveway before my chiropractic appointment. 

I locktite that thing on reinstall. Amd every other fastenr in the works.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
6/13/18 5:15 p.m.

Today I found out there are a bunch of  80s monster truck and demo derby videos available on prime video. Rainy days aren't so terrible again. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/14/18 9:59 a.m.

That while the oil filter housing on my 2007 3.6 VW uses a nifty and very wrenchable 6 sided 32 mm nut to unscrew it my neighbors 2008 2.5 VW uses an utterly worthless 74 mm 14 SIDED oil filter wrench which isn't capable of transmitting enough torque to the housing to actually unscrew the damned thing.  Thanks to the VIOC monkey that slammed it on to 1,000 ft lbs I wasn't able to actually finish the oil change.

Technically I suppose that belongs in the rants thread but I did learn that anything that was well engineered can then be over-engineered into E36 M3tyness.  Good job VW!!!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
6/14/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I ran into something similar once with the Mariner after she had the oil changed at a shop- they put the drain plug back in with an impact gun and I couldn't get the thing to budge even with my longest breaker bar on it. Ended up saying 'berk it' and drove it to the nearest oil change place where I let them fight to get it off with their big impact gun but told them after they saw how much fun that had been to NOT EVEN THINK of using a gun to put it back on.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
6/14/18 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

At least they didn't strip the threads out of the pan.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/22/18 8:34 p.m.

TIL that "RAM" pickups are huge piles of crap.

The one I was saddled with today had giant faux-chrome plastic appliques that clipped over the 20" alloy wheels.  They mostly looked bad and rattled constantly.

When applying the brakes, the steering wheel would drop down almost an inch, due to everything in the dashboard flexing.

I wonder how much the Mopar execs were paid off by Chevy and Ford to approve this POS.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/23/18 12:02 a.m.

TIL: Building a garden enclosure out of PVC because you are too lazy to make something out of wood, is not actually a short cut.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
6/24/18 12:51 a.m.

That 'Snook' is a real last name not just a cool sounding name for a WMD in a great movie.smiley

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/24/18 6:13 a.m.
Knurled. said:

TIL that "RAM" pickups are huge piles of crap.

The one I was saddled with today had giant faux-chrome plastic appliques that clipped over the 20" alloy wheels.  They mostly looked bad and rattled constantly.

When applying the brakes, the steering wheel would drop down almost an inch, due to everything in the dashboard flexing.

I wonder how much the Mopar execs were paid off by Chevy and Ford to approve this POS.

To be fair, Ford has done the shine plastic chrome over alloy wheels too on the F150.

My dads 2017 Ram Rebel is a pretty nice truck.

TIL those pedicab (bicycle powered cart taxi) outside the touristy spots of downtown Chicago could have probably charged more to get us back to our car at the ramp after the Shedd Aquarium and the kids not having naps and barely eating a lunch and full on melt down while walking through Grant Park. Nice guy too.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
6/24/18 12:26 p.m.

Apparently there is a Genital Cutting Awareness group, and they have a truck and a hotline.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
6/24/18 1:18 p.m.

Cheap Asian carbs on Harbor Freight generators are the easiest carbs to , take apart, clean up. and get running good.

Another hack thing.  Using stripped wire makes a good tool for cleaning out passages on jets.  Also making a small "wire brush", for those tight spaces.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/24/18 5:04 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

This is literally a plastic hubcap that clips over the base model wheels, not the integrated plastic thing that Ford has been using for a while. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/28/18 1:01 a.m.

NPR had a piece over lunch on the Zoot Suit Riots.

Holy hell that was an eye opener.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/28/18 6:32 a.m.
The0retical said:

NPR had a piece over lunch on the Zoot Suit Riots.

Holy hell that was an eye opener.

Now I understand the movie 1941 a little better.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/14/18 3:12 p.m.

TIL: using a lift to work on things like brake lines makes a terrible job almost enjoyable!  I gotta get me one of those.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/14/18 5:52 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Do not, my friend, become addicted to a lift.  It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

(possible obscure movie quote?)

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/15/18 12:04 p.m.

TIL that although I really need to do a oil change on my truck that doing it in 90 deg heat in the sun on an asphalt driveway is not fun so instead I decided to pay bills and do accounting stuff in the AC. 

I learned I like accounting.  Ok and I also learned I like ac better than hot asphalt. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cbCyDsjD1FXj2bqG3AWLlJvkBx1W6Axm8gGO9K7JzdLUlx2z1eheqWhYptYnM2N6