paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
10/31/18 6:29 p.m.

TIL what I already knew, but forgot- keep a fire extinguisher close by while welding on a car.

TI(also)L that sound deadening material is flammable.  Even if you don’t know it’s there...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/9/18 1:51 p.m.

Last night i learned just how insanely quick a fully charged tesla model s 85d is with a fully charged battery. Wet road, full throttle from a stop. Holy hell, ive rarely been launched like that on a well prepped drag strip let alone wet surface street.

I think I can't compete with new cars.....

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
11/9/18 2:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Last night i learned just how insanely quick a fully charged tesla model s 85d is with a fully charged battery. Wet road, full throttle from a stop. Holy hell, ive rarely been launched like that on a well prepped drag strip let alone wet surface street.

Instant torque and AWD is nice.  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
11/9/18 2:54 p.m.

I learned that Armor All wipes will get grease off your hands when you go the JY and forget gloves.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/9/18 3:21 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The 100d in ludacris mode will do 0 to 60 in 2.28 seconds or something absolutely crazy like that.  Fastest car to 60 motor trend ever tested.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/9/18 7:05 p.m.

TIL that just because the instructions manual says something is possible, doesn't mean that doing so will not require hand gyrations that cause hopefully not permanent nerve damage but wow that was an ugly noise I heard from the back of my hand, and it still feels "weird" eight hours later.

The rear two lid bolts on a Magnuson supercharger setup for a 6.2l C6.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
11/10/18 12:35 a.m.

what tl dr means.  bleh. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/10/18 1:56 a.m.

There are people actively happy that Cali is burning.  That people are dying, their homes and businesses are destroyed and they can’t be arsed to care even a little.

I got no love for Cali in many ways, but that doesn’t mean I want people to die, etc.

Just a disgusting attitude.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
11/10/18 6:43 a.m.

TIL Bar Keeper's Friend powder makes an EXCELLENT rust remover soak. And it's CHEAP! The active ingredient is oxalic acid.

I put about a tablespoon in an half quart tub with water and soaked a couple bits and nails overnight. The bits came out beautifully and the nails will be perfect after another day, but they're just nails for testing. The powder i put in the water didn't completely dissolve, so I could have gotten away with less of it. The can was $2.59cdn at The Walmarks and One can could do a motorcycle gas tank easily. I bet a single can could soak a motorcycle frame if you had a large enough container. 

CJ
CJ Reader
11/10/18 8:07 a.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

That stuff is great for cleaning railings and window trim on boats, too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/10/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

DOOD! That's the tip of the week!

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
11/10/18 10:58 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to akamcfly :

DOOD! That's the tip of the week!

Thanks smiley

I mentioned the oxalic acid because you can google what it does to rust.

Is link!

wae
wae SuperDork
11/10/18 2:51 p.m.

TIL that my middle daughter is going to make an excellent saleswoman someday.  She told me that she wanted to do a project with me today and make a sailboat out of wood since they're studying about sailboats in 5th grade Social Studies.  No problem!  I've got some scrap bits of wood that would be big enough and I figured we could cut a few bits out, glue them together, sand the bottom into a keel shape, drill a hole and use a dowel as a mast, and throw a quick bit of cloth on as a sail.

I'm thinking a slightly more boat-shaped version of this:

Once we arrive at the workshop and pull out a length of paper to start making the template, she starts talking about needing to have five masts.  Upon further questioning, she's studying the Batavia which is a Dutch East India Company ship from the 17th century and looks more like:

I've been snookered!

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/13/18 5:22 p.m.

TIL my dentist’s assistant bought herself new boobs.  Seems like a pretty expensive way to boost their customer satisfaction survey. I’d have been happy if they just stopped making me lie about flossing twice a day. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/13/18 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Pics or it didn't happen devil

Today i learned that the geeky yellow glasses dads corvette buddies swear help you see at night actually work. I think its because they level out light sources to be more equal, but im no optometrist or dental assistant with new boobs. I do know that in the rain and fog i saw better than ever before. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/13/18 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I wasn't as impressed as I probably should have been. I was hoping once his boat was paid for my teeth would be better but now the staff is getting excited over frivolous purchases too. A few more crowns and the receptionist will be showing of her new Porsche.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
11/13/18 9:51 p.m.

Was it on this forum that someone said his dental assistant was so hot that before having his teeth cleaned he ate caramels & Oreos?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/13/18 10:05 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

Was it on this forum that someone said his dental assistant was so hot that before having his teeth cleaned he ate caramels & Oreos?

I think that was Steven Wright.

P3PPY
P3PPY Reader
11/13/18 11:06 p.m.

TIL with my newer tires, if the car is already in motion, my car can't whip around and face the other direction, no matter how low the speed, no matter if I give it some nose-dive from braking.

I was so shocked and surprised that I tried it 4 times just after leaving work and then after pondering it the whole drive home I tried it 4 more around medians by my house. If I start from zero it will do the trick, but not even at a little roll. Very disappointing. I kinda prefer the old tires now.

2003 Z4 3.0

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/14/18 12:12 p.m.

TIL that there is a place in Japan that will rent you a Nissan Stagea 260RS for about $80 a day. That's a cool AWD, RB26DETT-powered wagon, for those not in the know.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/14/18 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

When I mention my kids orthodontist to others I also mention the sweet BMW he owns usually parked in the back corner of the lot.   

In 1989 I used an oral surgeon to break my wisdom teeth out of my head and since I had dry sockets I would be waiting for him to show up and one day he rolls in the lot in a 1964 Corvette convertible.  

My current dentist has two kids in high school and drives a Honda CRV

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
11/14/18 1:24 p.m.

TIL that consuming a large number of Oreos will look like you are suffering from massive internal bleeding when it comes time for your body to get rid of them.

Also, WebMD is a scary website.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/14/18 6:47 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Wally :

When I mention my kids orthodontist to others I also mention the sweet BMW he owns usually parked in the back corner of the lot.   

In 1989 I used an oral surgeon to break my wisdom teeth out of my head and since I had dry sockets I would be waiting for him to show up and one day he rolls in the lot in a 1964 Corvette convertible.  

My current dentist has two kids in high school and drives a Honda CRV

One of the oral surgeons my mom worked for always drove old beat up econoboxes.  He said, I have two kids in high school, I'm not going to drive anything they might trash.

IIRC he didn't buy them cars just for being there, either.  You want it, you buy it yourself, that way you respect it.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/14/18 7:01 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

TIL what I already knew, but forgot- keep a fire extinguisher close by while welding on a car.

TI(also)L that sound deadening material is flammable.  Even if you don’t know it’s there...

A squirt bottle of water is good to have handy, it will put out those little annoying fires without the mess a fire extinguisher makes.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/14/18 8:09 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

TIL that consuming a large number of Oreos will look like you are suffering from massive internal bleeding when it comes time for your body to get rid of them.

Also, WebMD is a scary website.

It’s probably a tumor 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JoaV30lUZzsSE8mIOFanzR2wS1ZZuckgJtc9MSn39DCzJTHuLHMQPHAKbnQvPeoJ