CJ
CJ Reader
4/29/19 6:05 p.m.

TIL that using a ladder to try to change a lightbulb at the top of a stairwell is a very bad idea... and that gravity is not your friend... and that, if you are going fast enough, your head can pierce drywall... and that TBIs are not fun.  Not fun at all.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/19 6:18 p.m.

As a tbi survivor now, make sure that you get checked out. Also, if your loved ones notice any behavior changes or cognitive decline, don't "man up" get your ass to a doctor and don't take no for an answer. 

I manned up long enough to have trouble with numbers, permanent migraine issues, and short term memory loss. Probably going to have those for the rest of my life because i waited too long.

Today i learned that nobody in my department chooses to pay attention to me because they all assume I'm working rings around everybody else. I also learned that my boss really doesn't care if i roll out a couple hours earlier than i should because im so far ahead of the rest of the department. 

CJ
CJ Reader
4/29/19 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Seeing a neuro doc in 2 weeks to follow up.  Guess I'm not bullet proof any more

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/29/19 9:41 p.m.

Have you read Dale jr's book, Racing to the finish?  Might fall into your field of interest.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
4/30/19 8:52 a.m.

TIL that you can buy weird engines from Walmart thanks to an ad on Facebook...  Note the category, but still, what to do with this thing?  (Also note that they sell a tiny 7 cyclinder radial, but this four banger was what I was presented as an ad)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/30/19 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'm going to have to read that. Sometimes we think that we're the only ones struggling. 

And the fear is real. So is the paranoia of being "found out" and treated differently because of it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/30/19 9:36 a.m.

I think even more, after reading your reply, that you should read his book.

Don49
Don49 Dork
4/30/19 6:44 p.m.

TIL that I have severe osteoarthritis in my left knee and will be getting a bionic knee brace to avoid having a knee replacement. Thank God for VA Medical as that looks like it costs a fortune. According to the doctor it will react to load and stop my knee from compressing!

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
4/30/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to (not) WilD (Matt) :

It's for remote control airplanes afaik.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/1/19 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Today I learned thar I was wrong about Smart car DiDionangry Thanks Knurled for putting me straight.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/1/19 5:45 p.m.

There is always something to improve, even on the best of things.   My new STR NC was set up by one of the greats in the autocross world.  But for whatever reason he left the brakes alone.  Sunday reinforced my hatred for what turned out to be duralast pads.   

It’s getting Hawk 5.0 pads and new rotors as we speak.   When I ask a race car to woah, I want g-d VIOLENT levels of woah.

None of this hey-boss-I’m-trying-but-you-can’t-expect-much.    

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/1/19 6:45 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

But crappy pads mean it's easier to avoid lockup, maybe.

At least, that is the excuse I have for the granite pads on teh RX-7.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/1/19 7:25 p.m.

It wasn’t even getting close to ABS on 245 RE-71s.  And it’s an excuse to put these fancy schmancy new rotors on.  Save 2 lbs per side!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
5/1/19 8:19 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

As a tbi survivor now,

I thought you meant Throttle Body Injection for a minute.

Today I learned that the bald eagles nesting in the city park will likely be moving on soon.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/2/19 9:04 a.m.

Well I actually learned this yesterday, but YIL that a factory soft-top Samurai's roof structure won't entirely collapse in a complete rollover. Not on mine, luckily (plus I have a roll bar).

On mine I learned that a notchy-feeling gas pedal is a warning sign for throttle cable failure.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
5/2/19 9:24 a.m.

TIL that NC has the largest native population of brook trout in the SouthEast.

BenB
BenB Reader
5/2/19 10:25 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

TIL that NC has the largest native population of brook trout in the SouthEast.

Now I have that Bugs Bunny song stuck in my head.

TIL: We are only three years from Soylent Green.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/2/19 10:44 a.m.

TIL that the BMW X1 and X2 are based on front wheel drive platforms and you have to up buy the AWD.

I.E. Fwd BMWs exist!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/11/19 6:30 p.m.

TIL Indy-Guy plays a mean game of punch bug. He called one as it was heading towards us for a head on collision.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
5/12/19 8:36 a.m.

Today I learned brakes will tick and crackle for an alarming amount of time on a new Freightliner Cascadia.

Reasons?

1) Dispatch assigns an impossible set of deliveries over a ~300 mile route

2) I stood on the throttle to last instant

3) I used full jakes and air brakes, almost set off alarms

4) I was ~ 78000 lbs

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/12/19 8:41 a.m.

TIL that early WRXs are worthless, even in JDM-yo land.

Trying to live the dream that SCC-reading 21 year old me wanted.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/12/19 9:03 a.m.

TIL I hate drum brakes. And I still hate working on other people's cars.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/12/19 5:13 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

But crappy pads mean it's easier to avoid lockup, maybe.

At least, that is the excuse I have for the granite pads on teh RX-7.

I did the same thing on my Miata. More for co-drivers' (and my tires') sake, after every person who drove it flatspotted the E36 M3 out of my front tires. I had Rock Auto $20 front pads and Porterfields rear pads to balance my the proportioning out

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/12/19 5:17 p.m.

Today I Learned that if you ever need to buy a wheelchair or walker, buy it online. Amazon Prime will have it to you in 36 hours and you will save at least $100 versus the Local Wheelchair Shop.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/12/19 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

After my wife’s accident I’ve been buying almost everything medical from Amazon.  It’s come faster than a local store could get it and much of it for less than my copay if it were something my insurance covered.  As much as I like buying local it’s hard to justify when my local pharmacy wanted $95 for a wound cleaning solution, paid before they would order, that Amazon sent on two days for $17. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5s4HdCUfDE32NqV9ik8z9fAvW7uNMm8CHzUk6YTxyzGGm7KOUrSHpJbSE6JGGPCy