Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/26/19 7:17 a.m.
Knurled. said:Jim Morrison was kind of artfully vague and he was surrounded by some great musical talent.

For a lounge act

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/26/19 7:19 a.m.

TIL that Col. Ed McMahon was a USMC Corsair pilot and flight instructor.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/26/19 7:25 a.m.
Suprf1y said:
Knurled. said:Jim Morrison was kind of artfully vague and he was surrounded by some great musical talent.

For a lounge act

The Doors are one of the few bands that will make me think about changing the radio channel.  Live Doors music has me running to the dial.

Many days ago I learned this is not a commonly held philosophy.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/26/19 7:30 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I do the same.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/26/19 7:31 a.m.

TIL Woody and I seem to listen to the same radio stations.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
10/26/19 9:13 a.m.

That Bermuda is due east from South Carolina! I must have either forgot or failed geography class in high school. We’ve never travelled to any of the islands, so I have no first hand experience, but I’m now thinking that I must have slept through geography class in high school.

Thank-You to the other thread for “learning” me something today.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/26/19 2:50 p.m.

Last night I learned that 151 proof rum actually burns when lit. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/26/19 3:11 p.m.
Wally said:

TIL Woody and I seem to listen to the same radio stations.

I have you to thank for that. It's all I've been listening to since you pointed me in that direction.

I also learend that Don Rickles could be surprisingly humble during interviews in the 70's.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/26/19 3:21 p.m.

Today i learned that a miata and a truck can take up 9 parking spots in publix.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/26/19 3:27 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In my drinking days we did flaming shots.  It was the early 80's and some guys lost part of their mustache.  

Then when we emptied the bottle we lit the fumes inside.  Whoosh.   

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/26/19 4:20 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The Doors are one of the few bands that will make me think about changing the radio channel.  Live Doors music has me running to the dial.

I don't really mind the Doors. My Dad was a huge fan and I grew up hearing, among others, Riders on the storm blasting through the impressive (for the day) system of his Eldorado and liking it. I can't remember who said it but when asked about the Doors, and I think it was a big 70's musician, his comment was something like, that's not rock, that's lounge music.

And I realized that he was right.

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
10/26/19 4:49 p.m.

The Doors were a lounge act, but in a really good lounge.  So good in fact that some folks never bothered to get back up.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/26/19 7:42 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I don't really mind the Doors. My Dad was a huge fan and I grew up hearing, among others, Riders on the storm blasting through the impressive (for the day) system of his Eldorado and liking it. I can't remember who said it but when asked about the Doors, and I think it was a big 70's musician, his comment was something like, that's not rock, that's lounge music.

And I realized that he was right.

When I was a teenager, I had an entire basement to myself, which fairly well rocked because I had a bedroom, and my own shower, and my own living room, and I was freakin' 14.  Downside, my mom's boyfriend had a really really awesome Yamaha keyboard with hydraulic weighted keys, and he had it in front of the bay window that was in the living room right over my bedroom.  And he was a huge Doors fan, which is most/all of why I am a Doors fan.  He liked to play Riders on the Storm, a lot, on that hydraulically-weighted-keys Yamaha keyboard, which required a lot of finger power.  That finger power translated directly through the keyboard stand to the floor.

To this day, when I hear RotS, I hear "THUMP-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-THUMP-thump" from being downstairs while he played the keyboard.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/27/19 9:19 p.m.

today I learned that I have no idea why the sunroof in my Disco was NOT leaking. I have the headliner out to redo it and as much as I tried to avoid driving it like that, I had to due to the weather today. My Abarth would have floated away. All was fine until I took a left turn and water poured out in a stream from the side of the sunroof cassette. Seems somebody broke the plastic drain tube sometime in the past and just tucked it out of the way. What is sad, it's going to be an easy fix.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/27/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

As a kid I caught the tail end of his career, usually if he was having a comedian on.  My grandfather, who didn't watch a lot of tv liked him and would call to let me know if someone like David Brenner or Rodney Dangerfield was going to be on.  Hearing it now I have a new appreciation for what a good interviewer he was to make every guest seem interesting no matter the subject.  The celebrity guests, particularly in the 70s, were also different and seemed less polished and more fun.  

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/28/19 1:24 p.m.

TIL that you can spray a 1976 318 in a Dart from 16.50s all the way down to 13.00s, but only once. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/28/19 6:23 p.m.
Knurled. said:

TIL that Patrick is coming back from the Challenge with twice as many transmissions for me as I was expecting.

Cool so you got the other two in addition?  I feel like the GRM matchmaker sometimes. "Hey do you know someone that can use some rx7 transmissions?"  "Why yes I do."

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/28/19 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Unfortunately, I have also discovered that you can actually hear the onset of COPD in both Johnny's voice and in a whole bunch of his guests'. It's really sad. Everybody smoked back then.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/29/19 6:00 a.m.
Stampie said:
Knurled. said:

TIL that Patrick is coming back from the Challenge with twice as many transmissions for me as I was expecting.

Cool so you got the other two in addition?  I feel like the GRM matchmaker sometimes. "Hey do you know someone that can use some rx7 transmissions?"  "Why yes I do."

So it's YOUR fault!

I mean, uh, thank you!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/29/19 9:18 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

For a lounge act

Shut your whore mouth.  I listen to several CDs driving home yesterday and the Doors was the best one.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/29/19 9:20 a.m.
Daylan C said:

Yea I learned that like 40 years ago in college.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/29/19 10:02 a.m.

TIL that Camry trans dipstick will get very hot in less than a second when it sticks going back in the tube, and bends over to touch the positive post of the battery.

Lesson learned?  Don't touch the stick between the two burn marks.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/29/19 10:30 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Daylan C said:

Yea I learned that like 40 years ago in college.  

So TYL that Daylan is about 40 years younger than you?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/29/19 10:36 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

TIL that Camry trans dipstick will get very hot in less than a second when it sticks going back in the tube, and bends over to touch the positive post of the battery.

Lesson learned?  Don't touch the stick between the two burn marks.

TIL that you need this: (the terminal cover)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/29/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I had removed it to service the posts...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j6XcRhFqonKyu8kei1BOW797cZkLwrymD576snM35EBQ1VIMbrAda4QXK2B3ZrOa