Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
1/6/20 10:42 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I like them- I love opening up the Infiniti's in warmer weather on the drives to and from the cabin when I have all the windows open anyway. I miss that the Dancer's new truck doesn't have one like her previous SUV did.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/6/20 11:02 a.m.

I learned a long time ago that some people like having the sun glare in from overhead, while listening to wind rushing past their ears.

I do not.  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/6/20 11:26 a.m.
mad_machine said:

TIL that people do not like sunroofs. Both here and the rest of the world. I think people like the idea of sunroofs, but never use them except for the one time when they first buy the car. 

I know I am the exception to the rule, I use mine all year round unless it is snowing or raining. In the summer I use both of them.

I will pop mine in the winter to keep air moving through the cabin, but I never have it "open".  It is bad enough having trucks light up the inside of the car at night making it impossible to see, I don't want that in the day too.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/6/20 11:43 a.m.
mad_machine said:

TIL that people do not like sunroofs. Both here and the rest of the world. I think people like the idea of sunroofs, but never use them except for the one time when they first buy the car. 

I know I am the exception to the rule, I use mine all year round unless it is snowing or raining. In the summer I use both of them.

The sunroof on my first car with one (SL2) failed shortly after the bumper to bumper warranty ended.  Thankfully, it failed closed.  The idea of a sunroof is nice,. but it feels like unecessary complexity and weight for the benefit.  I also like the extra headroom when there isn't a sunroof - I've sat in a current generation Civic, and can't keep from brushing my head against the ceiling in a sunroof-equipped one, unless I lean the seat back way more than I want.  At least that isn't as common of a problem with them, but it has happened on other cars, I think a late 80's Regal had that issue when I sat in it, too.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/6/20 11:48 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I use mine a lot other than in the winter.  With the sunroof opened in the back and the passenger side rear window cracked you get quite good amount of airflow in the car without having to turn on the AC.

CJ
CJ HalfDork
1/6/20 12:01 p.m.
slowbird said:

Today I learned that a 4x3 piece of MDF will fit in the back of a Ford Probe, but a 4x5 piece will not. 4x3 is about the limit, really.

Some small cars haul amazingly large stuff.  I once moved a 30" range in the back of my 1981 Rabbit diesel.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/6/20 12:02 p.m.

I love sunroofs, but I'll pass if I plan to keep the vehicle for a really long time. Leaky seals and rusty rocker panels have killed a couple of sunroofed cars for me.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
1/6/20 12:20 p.m.

I hate sunroofs. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
1/7/20 1:52 p.m.

that Eddie Rickenbacker once owned IMS with a group of other investors.

and of course that Roger Penske now owns it.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/10/20 8:14 p.m.
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/10/20 9:06 p.m.
mad_machine said:

And yet manufacturers insist on putting them in their higher end models. SWMBO's old 10 Sonata bought new had one and.never used. Tried to find one without and dealer said is standard on the higher trim package. Just replaced that car with a new 20 Accord EX-L and dealer showed me that the sunroof comes in all but the base edition. Want any options and a sunroof comes with it. Was also standard on the Acura's we looked at. Don't use it, don't want it. Would rather have the extra room although I'm not that tall (5'11") and SWMBO certainly don't fit in that category at 5-foot even.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/10/20 9:16 p.m.
Wally said:

Costco sells a 72 pound wheel of Parmesan cheese. 

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-whole-wheel-parmigiano-reggiano%2c-72-lbs.-.product.100096211.html

I'm thinking you might be serious in buying this.  That in itself is funny to me. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/20 9:20 p.m.

As soon as March rolls around and the weather gets into the milder low 60s, both DW and I will open all the windows and the sunroof up and drive with the seat heaters cranked. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/10/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Hell, I drive with the seat heater cranked when it is triple digits outside.  My back loves it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/10/20 9:34 p.m.
Duke said:

As soon as March rolls around and the weather gets into the milder low 60s, both DW and I will open all the windows and the sunroof up and drive with the seat heaters cranked. 

I used to do that in below zero temps in mn. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/10/20 9:37 p.m.
mad_machine said:

I dislike them for the possible water leaks. I think that was the majority of the electrical issues on my old '90 Acura Legend. I could never seem to get the rear drain tubes clear, which would have required removing the entire headliner, and I don't think the driver's front one was hooked up or routed properly or something and was draining into a fuse block or connector. Every time it rained, you would hit the brakes and it would drizzle on the front seats, and then later in life it would rain and the electronics and relays would all cycle and the radio and cooling fans would run of their own accord. After that, I swore to never have another sunroof.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/10/20 9:42 p.m.
wlkelley3 said:
mad_machine said:

And yet manufacturers insist on putting them in their higher end models. SWMBO's old 10 Sonata bought new had one and.never used. Tried to find one without and dealer said is standard on the higher trim package. Just replaced that car with a new 20 Accord EX-L and dealer showed me that the sunroof comes in all but the base edition. Want any options and a sunroof comes with it. Was also standard on the Acura's we looked at. Don't use it, don't want it. Would rather have the extra room although I'm not that tall (5'11") and SWMBO certainly don't fit in that category at 5-foot even.

I had written off the Mazdaspeed6 as a car-to-have because, I was told, they ALL had sunroofs.

Then I found out that some did not, but they are kinda rare.

I did find one for sale locally-ish on Autotrader.  I e-mailed the dealer an inquiry.  To this day I still get email from them about the Edge they have on sale.  No, I don't want a berking truck, I have two balls and no children, I want a sunroofless unicorn, you can no longer offer me that so go away.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
1/11/20 9:39 p.m.

TIL WinAMP is back and it still really whips the llama's ass

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/13/20 6:11 a.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Does it?

I'm still using VLC, but I don't think VLC has been updated for eight years.  There's some features i wish it had, like better dual-monitor support.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/13/20 10:05 a.m.

TIL that Geddy Lee's real name is Gary, and that Gerry Garcia only had nine fingers.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/20 10:08 a.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

I remember WinAMP!

I had a really cool skin for it that looked like the radio from an M-4A Sherman, complete with nixie tube numbers, etc.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/13/20 10:12 a.m.

WinAMP had Milkdrop which was and still is the single greatest music visualizer known to man.

@Knurled: VLC had its last update 4 months ago.. unless you just mean they haven't added major features in a long time?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/13/20 6:30 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

They did?  I'm using whatever I installed in 2013 when I got this computer, and any time I did a search for updates it said it was current.  It seemed like Android was getting all the updates while WinPC was getting "yeah, it's good as-is".

Not that I'm complaining, because it's been a solid little app, but the kludge I have for dual monitor isn't the best.  And sometimes it gets confused and plays on the wrong monitor.  (the video will play on one, and the VLC window, blank, will be on the other one)

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/13/20 6:45 p.m.

If you're trying to be a good egg and run to CVS otc meds for someone's somewhat embarrassing issue but go to self checkout to avoid human contact the light starts flashing and a chime goes off to alert everyone but the people that work there that you need approval to continue paying.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/20 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

#mrmom #kotex #pricecheck

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6n2dnMgAKZjcrvdvVtANHPo2mbbxqcSpKtJ2tvf1RiD0VNa1vvSELhFkQoPQiECn