GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/14/14 12:55 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Let's just get it over with and replace journalists with small shellscripts. They're not doing any better.
Why you gotta pick on shell scripts? They are very powerful tools!

I have nothing against shellscripts, but when they squeeze out a crappy article at least you can blame the GIGO effect.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Reader
8/14/14 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

The word is he will sit this weekend out as well...

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/14/14 1:40 p.m.
stafford1500 wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: The word is he will sit this weekend out as well...

he's probably all torn up, trying to figure out if he did anything wrong and what he could have done different.. replaying it over and over in his head.. and will be for a long, long time to come. it will probably have an effect on his ability to drive race cars at any level- the doubt that something like this could happen again. i seriously wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't take him out of the owner/driver roll at SHR and just makes him an "owner"..

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/14/14 2:58 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
stafford1500 wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: The word is he will sit this weekend out as well...
he's probably all torn up, trying to figure out if he did anything wrong and what he could have done different.. replaying it over and over in his head.. and will be for a long, long time to come. it will probably have an effect on his ability to drive race cars at any level- the doubt that something like this could happen again. i seriously wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't take him out of the owner/driver roll at SHR and just makes him an "owner"..

The way the media is portraying him it's like they were expecting him to show up with a berkeley KWjr t-shirt and "Who else wants some, step to me bro" written down the side of his car.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Reader
8/14/14 3:03 p.m.
Woody wrote: The wing grab video seems to have disappeared.

Another slow and zoom video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAe9-JVCmek&feature=youtube_gdata

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/14/14 3:10 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote:
Woody wrote: The wing grab video seems to have disappeared.
Another slow and zoom video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAe9-JVCmek&feature=youtube_gdata

Whaaaat? That video was faked somehow. Two things:

1. It's the same as the video we've all seen before except that the point of impact is conveniently in-frame this time, somehow.

2. You can see Kevin Ward behind (from our view, to the right of) Tony Stewart's car for a frame or two before he teleports onto the car. Not even a good job of fakery.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/14/14 3:17 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I've watched it a couple times now and I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing you are. Of course I'm on my phone so I'll look again when I get to a computer.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Reader
8/14/14 3:26 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Seriously? I just saw it linked on YouTube, didn't think to go check snopes.

I have to go back and look again....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/14/14 3:41 p.m.

Here is one of the frames where you can see a trace of Kevin behind the car before he teleports onto it. It seems to last between 1-3 frames, I don't have all the tools to do a proper video analysis on my work PC. You can see the shine from his helmet and forearm suit stripe here:

Just play the video and watch carefully behind Tony's car, you'll see it.

Hoodpins
Hoodpins
8/14/14 4:03 p.m.

You can view youtube videos in slow motion if you hit the setting gear and select Speed=0.25. Gets you 1/4 speed. This may only work in the Chrome browser.

Based on doing this I would say that the slow motion video posted has been edited. The original does not look like it was an active attempt to grab the wing.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/14/14 4:14 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: he's probably all torn up, trying to figure out if he did anything wrong and what he could have done different.. replaying it over and over in his head.. and will be for a long, long time to come. it will probably have an effect on his ability to drive race cars at any level- the doubt that something like this could happen again. i seriously wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't take him out of the owner/driver roll at SHR and just makes him an "owner"..

Perhaps. It's hard to speculate on what's going through his head right now. I'm sure he knows if he appears at any event he'll be inundated with questions about the incident. Questions he really shouldn't answer as a possible suspect. Nothing he can say or do will help his situation right now other than staying low and keeping quiet until the police complete their investigation.

I'm willing to bet as soon as he got of the car that night, his crew cheif handed him a cell phone with his lawyer on the other line, telling him "Don't you DARE say a damn thing about this. NOTHING. Without me present or reviewing it first."

ncjay
ncjay Dork
8/14/14 4:33 p.m.

As of right now, Tony Stewart is still listed as the driver of the #14 car in Michigan. If Tony is hearing and seeing the same stuff I am, he's got to be at least a little more relieved. Generally all the people I've talked to and heard from all agree Kevin Ward was an idiot for walking into race traffic and that he pretty much caused his own death. Even other drivers that were on the track with Stewart support his claim that he did everything in his power to not hit him. AND Other driver says Stewart could not avoid Ward: "From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said sprint car driver Cory Sparks. Sparks was just a few cars behind Stewart during Saturday's race. He said videos that have been posted online do not give an accurate picture of what happened. "People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him," said Sparks.(Time Warner News)

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/14/14 4:53 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

OK I see it clearly now. You are most certainly right.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/14/14 5:01 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aDXRPLkSM&bpctr=1408055083

This is the one I posted on page twelve where I said I definitely see him hanging onto the wing. But now looking at the back of the car it almost looks like I see the same thing in this one as well. It's much harder to tell in this one though.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/14/14 6:11 p.m.

Tony Stewart will sit out Michigan this weekend bravenrace

ncjay
ncjay Dork
8/14/14 6:41 p.m.

Just announced. Jeff Burton to drive the 14 at Michigan.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/15/14 7:10 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Tony Stewart will sit out Michigan this weekend bravenrace

That six pack must be getting pretty warm by now.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/15/14 7:16 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Karl La Follette wrote: Tony Stewart will sit out Michigan this weekend bravenrace
That six pack must be getting pretty warm by now.

I think he will get back in the car once the investigation clears him, if it does.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
8/15/14 8:53 a.m.

The video showing him 'grabbing' the wing. Was it that or was it the fact he's on a potentially slick track and slipped and lost his footing and it’s actually him losing his balance and flaying his arms in the air. That could also explain how/why he ended up hitting / being hit by the car?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
8/15/14 8:56 a.m.

As predicted: http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/11356848/nascar-announces-rules-change-where-drivers-leave-cars-track-incidents

NASCAR announced a new rule prohibiting drivers from exiting their cars after on-track incidents unless "extenuating circumstances exist," NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton announced Friday.
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/15/14 9:04 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: As predicted: http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/11356848/nascar-announces-rules-change-where-drivers-leave-cars-track-incidents
NASCAR announced a new rule prohibiting drivers from exiting their cars after on-track incidents unless "extenuating circumstances exist," NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton announced Friday.

The new rule will be titled, "Something your daddy should have told you but maybe he didn't, so here's a rule, rule"

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/15/14 9:07 a.m.

Can't say I couldn't see that happening.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/15/14 9:34 a.m.

Nice.

I wonder if Sprint racing will abide by NASCAR rules...

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/15/14 9:54 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: As predicted: http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/11356848/nascar-announces-rules-change-where-drivers-leave-cars-track-incidents
The new rule will be titled, "Something your daddy should have told you but maybe he didn't, so here's a rule, rule"

You used to not need many rules on how to behave because you were dealing with adults. There weren't many parents buying their kids race cars so by the time someone was getting into a car they were generally at least into their late teens and by the time they got to a sprint car they would be into their 20s. They would have some common sense and respect. Since they would also have some of their own money and labor into the car they were less apt to tear things up every week in the first place. You still had tempers but they were usually saved for arguing and the occasional fist fight afterwards where the chance of getting run over was fairly slim.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/15/14 9:55 a.m.

A Couple of dirt tracks have installed such a rule.

Jeff Burton will drive the #14 at Michigan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tmCHehDogB72cy7s6tsr4xFEiGEoNs05xXuIVU6OGLFeqcjXFFuGa5eexqJHJBA6