racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
8/15/14 10:23 a.m.

I don't think you will see Tony race again this year. If I were him I wouldn't...for many reasons.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/15/14 10:27 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I don't think you will see Tony race again this year. If I were him I wouldn't...for many reasons.

Maybe so, but what about the sponsors? Think they will have any influence?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
8/15/14 10:32 a.m.

I still say he'll come back to NASCAR once his name is officially cleared by the local authorities. But he may be done racing sprint cars. At least for this year, if not forever.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/15/14 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

His heart is in Sprint cars. That's why he does it.

However his career is in NASCAR.

I agree. He will be back in NASCAR, but may never race Sprints again.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
8/15/14 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I really thing he'll be back in sprint cars sooner or later … sprint cars are his life blood … his heart and soul

as an added bit, he owns one of the best known dirt tracks in the country … it may take a while, but I think he'll be back in one …

disclaimer: assuming he's sure in his mind and heart that there was nothing he could have done differently … Marlin still raced again after the earnhardt crash … different I know, but still ...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/15/14 12:54 p.m.
wbjones wrote: disclaimer: assuming he's sure in his mind and heart that there was nothing he could have done differently …

Maybe it will go the other way... like a wild animal that gets a taste for human flesh. Now all he thinks about is driving thru play grounds full of happy, playful children... a chain of nuns crossing the street all holding hands.... the NY marathon.

He is a monster now. He has to be put down. For the sake of the children.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/14 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

"Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? Nope."

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/29/14 11:51 a.m.

nervous

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/29/14 12:12 p.m.

press conference... meh

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
8/29/14 12:42 p.m.

Retirement ?

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/29/14 12:54 p.m.

Nope, back on track.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26432125/tony-stewart-wards-death-will-affect-my-life

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/29/14 1:29 p.m.

Well the NASCAR drivers were too smart for our rules. Read carefully:

Since Ward's death, NASCAR has announced a rule that prohibits drivers from exiting from a crashed or disabled vehicle -- unless it is on fire -- until safety personnel arrive. Last week, Denny Hamlin crashed while leading at Bristol and stayed in his car until safety personnel arrived. But Hamlin then exited his vehicle and angrily tossed a safety device at Kevin Harvick as he passed by moments later. He was not penalized.

Stupid...finds a way.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/29/14 1:50 p.m.

Nice...

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
8/29/14 1:59 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Nature always finds a way to build a better idiot when Darwin can't do his job.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/29/14 3:16 p.m.

OK now that America has invented a workaround to the "stay in your car" rule what amendments to the usual rule could prevent this? AFAIK all existing "stay in your car" rules from other series assume that the driver is not a dedicated, persistent asshat. We're in unknown territory now.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
8/29/14 3:31 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Its still probably safer than what the europeans are doing.....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/29/14 3:33 p.m.

^What's that from? I haven't been watching F1 recently.

If it's Weber's ride back to the pits last year, yeah I cringed at that a bit just because of the danger of sitting on a moving F1 car, but it's not in the same league as any of this stuff. IIRC most people on this board were saying he shouldn't have been hit with a fine for it.

Edit: Pretty sure that's what it is, car has no dick-nose and a full-width front wing. Not remotely in the same league of stupidity or danger.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/29/14 3:46 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Well the NASCAR drivers were too smart for our rules. Read carefully:
Since Ward's death, NASCAR has announced a rule that prohibits drivers from exiting from a crashed or disabled vehicle -- unless it is on fire -- until safety personnel arrive. Last week, Denny Hamlin crashed while leading at Bristol and stayed in his car until safety personnel arrived. But Hamlin then exited his vehicle and angrily tossed a safety device at Kevin Harvick as he passed by moments later. He was not penalized.
Stupid...finds a way.

I don't see the problem. The rule is to keep him from getting run over, he followed it and was not run over. It wasn't intended to stop anything else.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/29/14 5:33 p.m.

Hamlin obeyed the rule. He stayed in the car until the safety crew arrived. No rule against throwing your Hans device at another car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/30/14 10:40 a.m.

Huh.

Somebody on Page 7 wrote: Rules create loopholes. They do not create a society that behaves right.

Go figure...

johndej
johndej Reader
9/17/14 10:47 a.m.

Looks like this will be drug out some more

http://news.yahoo.com/tony-stewart-fatal-dirt-track-accident-heard-grand-185202582--spt.html

"I have made the determination that it would be appropriate to submit the evidence to a grand jury, for their determination as to what action should be taken in this matter," said Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo."

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/17/14 10:56 a.m.

In reply to johndej:

He just doesn't want the backlash from the locals......much easier to blame a faceless grand jury.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/17/14 11:24 a.m.

It makes sense to present it to a grand jury, even if all you want to do is remove doubt that nothing criminal happened.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/17/14 11:28 a.m.

Almost everything that faces a Grand Jury in NY goes to trial. If nothing else it will get the prosecutor some time in the press some he can run for a different office.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/17/14 11:34 a.m.
Wally wrote: ... If nothing else it will get the prosecutor some time in the press some he can run for a different office.

Ding, ding, ding, Winner!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
01jI8MqgfgoqOItwzmIdiaO1daM4mFqfbJ8TCYOiUxnCIwUbPF0562rNnyrh1WXo