KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/17/14 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Wally: You almost sound jaded and cynical. Say it ain't so Wally!

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
9/17/14 12:51 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to johndej: He just doesn't want the backlash from the locals......much easier to blame a faceless grand jury.

this ^^^ … he has to run for re-election … the GJ doesn't

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
9/24/14 2:06 p.m.

Grand jury says there's no basis to charge Stewart with any crimes, and that Ward had marijuana in his system at the time of the accident.

Common sense has prevailed.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/24/14 2:09 p.m.

I thought the weed was supposed to make you chill, not run out and attack a race car...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/24/14 2:10 p.m.

The dude was stoned driving a 700HP missile! I'd say Darwin stepped in to save every one else. Seriously, taking a drug that slows down your reactions then driving a sprint car?

WTF

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/24/14 2:12 p.m.

I can't imagine he was still baked at all if he did something as energy-intensive and un-chill as throwing an on-track hissy fit.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
9/24/14 2:16 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: The dude was stoned driving a 700HP missile! I'd say Darwin stepped in to save every one else. Seriously, taking a drug that slows down your reactions then driving a sprint car? WTF

Marijuana in his system just means he smoked sometime in the month before the accident, doesn't necessarily mean he was baked on track.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/24/14 2:18 p.m.

"There are tests that can detect if you toked up going back months (based on hair samples), but I'd assume if they're saying he had it in his system they'd have evidence of something more recent.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/24/14 2:21 p.m.

Based on how he acted I would have ran a test for bath salts.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/24/14 2:30 p.m.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/nascar-driver-tony-stewart-won-t-be-charged-in-death-of-kevin-ward-jr-092414?cmpid=tsmtw%3Afscom%3Anascaronfox

Sultan
Sultan Dork
9/24/14 2:43 p.m.

From Motorsports.com

"According to a toxicology report, Ward was under the influence of marijuana at the time of his death, and there was enough in his system to impair judgment."

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/24/14 3:02 p.m.

Unfortunately it still will not prevent the Ward family for filing a civil suit. I'm sure there will be a substantial sum of money changing hands before this is over.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/24/14 3:14 p.m.

He must have succumbed to the reefer madness.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
9/24/14 3:15 p.m.
Sultan wrote: From Motorsports.com "According to a toxicology report, Ward was under the influence of marijuana at the time of his death, and there was enough in his system to impair judgment."

Really? How many bad decisions can one make at once?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/24/14 3:16 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Unfortunately it still will not prevent the Ward family for filing a civil suit. I'm sure there will be a substantial sum of money changing hands before this is over.

Of course. This is America.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
9/24/14 3:17 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Unfortunately it still will not prevent the Ward family for filing a civil suit. I'm sure there will be a substantial sum of money changing hands before this is over.

I can't see how any judge in the country could possibly rule in favor of the dude stoned on an illegal substance advancing on a race car on a hot race track. How would that even be possible?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/24/14 3:22 p.m.

The judge doesn't have to be involved. Out-of-court settlements can be mighty tempting vs. the cost of hiring a lawyer + how much a rich dude would pay to not have to spend time in court.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/24/14 3:38 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
I can't see how any judge in the country could possibly rule in favor of the dude stoned on an illegal substance advancing on a race car on a hot race track. How would that even be possible?

Its New York.....some judge will.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
9/24/14 3:38 p.m.
Sultan wrote: From Motorsports.com "According to a toxicology report, Ward was under the influence of marijuana at the time of his death, and there was enough in his system to impair judgment."

I'm not defending the guys actions and I'm not saying he wasn't stoned at the time but last I knew there wasn't a test that accurate. It's not as easy as figuring BAC. That's why Colorado and Washington are having all sorts of fun trying to nab people driving stoned.

Also, to be under the influence at the time of accident he'd have to have toked up at the track, it doesn't last that long (not that I'd know anything about that).

I could and may very well be wrong but this sounds like a case of the media playing the "he was high on the marijuanas!!!" card.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/24/14 3:40 p.m.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there's an accurate test that can only be run on a corpse?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/24/14 3:40 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Which is probably how it'll get pitched to the Ward family. Maybe Smoke will bend... maybe he won't. Maybe the Ward family will take the high road and accept their son screwed up and paid the ultimate price.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/24/14 3:55 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Also, to be under the influence at the time of accident he'd have to have toked up at the track, it doesn't last that long (not that I'd know anything about that). I could and may very well be wrong but this sounds like a case of the media playing the "he was high on the marijuanas!!!" card.

With a name like PubBurgers.......yea

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
9/24/14 3:56 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: I could and may very well be wrong but this sounds like a case of the media playing the "he was high on the marijuanas!!!" card.

Really? You're going to the "blame the media" card? I watched the press conference, and it was the DA/prosecutor/whatever he was that said that Ward had marijuana in his system, and that it was deemed enough to impair his judgement.

Who knows, maybe he liked to have a toke before a race to calm his nerves.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
9/24/14 3:58 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Who knows, maybe he liked to have a toke before a race to calm his nerves.

Looks to me like he should have toked a little more to get his rage under control.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/24/14 4:03 p.m.

So he smoked, and then got smoked by Smoke?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B8gSNcGOs32VEUIQNSRrQORZPQU5Cxo1rh69PpfyFtV0qfMBZiodcBf74NBIg8lu