1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/1/22 9:22 a.m.

A customer brought me a grocery bag size of celery.  It's sturdy, flavorful, but quite tough.  I'm not likely to eat enough celery with cheese or peanut butter to get through this bundle, so it's an opportunity to learn.

Recipes.  Soup? Casserole? Roasted?  Pickled? I've only eaten it cold, as a snack thing beside carrot sticks.  What does one do with celery?

Or do I just use it for tent pegs?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/1/22 9:35 a.m.

Chop it up and freeze for quick mirepoix ingredient is my best idea. Chop, lay in single layer on pans in freezer till hard, pour into ziploc bags. Use water displacement method to take all the air out of the bags (or vacuum if you have one), pop back in freezer. Amaze your friends with never ending supply of celery.

Margie

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/22 9:50 a.m.

Celery, water chestnuts, and packing peanuts are all related in that they all taste similar.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/1/22 10:21 a.m.

I'm not a celery aficionado but I like it, raw as a snack or the usual recipe uses.  However, my wife hates the stuff.  She claims it tastes like dirt and makes everything it's near taste the same...odd.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/1/22 10:23 a.m.

I love celery, if I have some then I'll cut it up and put it in just about anything.

Or just eat it as-is.  Which is why I usually do not have celery.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
10/1/22 10:25 a.m.

Beets and Radishes taste like dirt.  Sweet or peppery dirt..  

Celery is great. Plain, or with cream cheese, ranch, peanut butter, humus (all flavors), spinach artichoke dip, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have any recipes where it is the star...  

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
10/1/22 10:27 a.m.
hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
10/1/22 11:35 a.m.

Soups tend to use a fair bit of celery. Maybe make up a soup base of celery, carrot, and onion and then freeze in packets to use as needed?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/1/22 2:08 p.m.

Celery is the key ingredient in all good crock pot recipes.

russde
russde Reader
10/1/22 2:21 p.m.

My wife was taught a number of recipes by a Louisiana lady who claimed that ALL Cajun cooking started with the holy trinity (lower case): Celery, onion, and garlic sauteed in oil

I refuse to eat the stuff raw, but cooked is great

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/1/22 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Chow Mein is made with celery.  Cooking it softens it add chick or pork.   Plus water chestnuts. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/1/22 2:34 p.m.

Using Margie's method or a vacuum sealer, no freezer burn?

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
10/1/22 2:47 p.m.
Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
10/1/22 3:11 p.m.

Lots of Bloody Mary's?

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/1/22 3:57 p.m.

I'd be making a vat of buffalo chicken dip

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/1/22 6:05 p.m.

I sometimes go to a Chinese restaurant that serves it stir fried. The sauce they use to finish it is made with  garlic, red pepper flakes, scallions and perhaps fresh ginger and thickened with cornstarch water mix. I'm not a big celery fan but fixed this way, it's delicious.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/1/22 6:24 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Celery, water chestnuts, and packing peanuts are all related in that they all taste similar.

I am not sure I want to know how you know what packing peanuts taste like.  laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/1/22 6:54 p.m.

I'm going for soup first.  I like the idea of Asian peppery stir fry, too.  I may have to get some strings out of it.  It's a lot sturdier than store bought stuff.

Celery does not taste like packing peanuts, unless you are eating very bad celery.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
10/1/22 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Cut into short pieces the strings shouldn't be much of an issue.    I like the idea of chopping and freezing it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/1/22 8:50 p.m.

Crunchy water - 9GAG

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/1/22 10:51 p.m.

I made soup, which tastes very much like celery.  I may try some seasoning in small helpings to see what direction I need to go.  Asian red pepper-ey, I think.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/2/22 2:15 a.m.

Water chestnuts and packing peanuts sure.   Celery? Absolutely not! Too weird tasting for me. My grandmother likely ruined that for me with her making rhubarb pie all the time (I called it celery pie). 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/2/22 8:49 a.m.

I ate rhubarb once, thinking "Ooh, red celery!"

I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/2/22 9:05 a.m.

Rhubarb is delicious, when combined with a sufficient quantity of sugar.  It shares nothing other than shape with celery.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/2/22 9:29 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I am not sure I want to know how you know what packing peanuts taste like.  laugh

They taste just like puffy Cheetos, but without the cheese. Definitely better than celery. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hWwyLvhO5QusQpoPR5JzXBh2IlHJIYQxX3GNZO5JK3IxCNFVFvi7ZDdyT0zXAC95