1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 10:32 a.m.

We've got various threads about tool, good ones, bad ones, unusual ones, but I don't think we've got one for tools you use more than you thought you would.

This is mine.  15 plus years ago I needed a long 3/4" drill / auger.  I went to HD at the time, and a single one was $30, or this set for $50.  I got the set just because.  I honestly thought it would be something I use a couple of times in my life.  I can't believe how wrong I was.  There are so many uses for these things if you're a house owner, I use them all a ton, several times a year for 15 years makes me happy.  I literally smile every time I get them out and think to myself 'yup, here we go again, what a great use of $50'.

So, anything you use way way more than you thought you would?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/26/21 10:37 a.m.

I have a 3/8 drive, 1" extension. I use that ALL THE TIME! It's amazing. How many times was a shallow-well socket too short to reacy, but a deep-well socket a little too long? use a shallow-well socket and the 1" extension and BAM! Same goes for a deep-well socket not being quite long enough? Again, add the 1" extension and it's perfect. 
I'm sure you're reading this thinking I'm an idiot. Well, you're right, but not on this topic. A 1" extension is as great as flat-head screws are the devil. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 10:38 a.m.

Power drill. Never thought I needed one. Got one for Christmas a few years back. Probably my most used tool that isn't a pliers or screwdriver. Closely followed by a Hackzall.

Same for every leatherman type tool I've owned - why would I need this? I have a full set of tools! Except I always have the leatherman on me. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/26/21 10:39 a.m.

My 12 inch extension for 1/4" bits. Drill, screwdriver, torx, whatever. It's nice, especially when trying to get through joists or insulated walls

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/26/21 10:50 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/26/21 10:56 a.m.

I have a few of these Hyde scrapers in my garage and I use them all the time.

I also carry one in my fire gear. I use it to open doors and windows that people don't want to be opened.  

And I absolutely love flex head Gear Wrenches   

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/26/21 11:01 a.m.
DrBoost said:

I have a 3/8 drive, 1" extension. I use that ALL THE TIME! It's amazing. How many times was a shallow-well socket too short to reacy, but a deep-well socket a little too long? use a shallow-well socket and the 1" extension and BAM! Same goes for a deep-well socket not being quite long enough? Again, add the 1" extension and it's perfect. 

A 1" extension is useful -- but a set of mid-length sockets are way more useful.  I bought my set of metric mid-lengths about 20 years ago because I needed a ton of options in 13mm (various turbo fasteners in hard-to-access locations on a Miata) and, like Adrian, the set was less than twice the price of a singleton socket.  Now I use the mid-length sockets all the time.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

DAmn, I like the scraper in your EDC.  I'm going to add one to the little tool/kit bag I keep with various E36 M3 in the car at all times.  Good call.  THX

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/26/21 4:13 p.m.

I have a wobble head ratchet, a pass thru set and an extension ratchet I got from harbor freight when they were doing a huge sale, paid nearly nothing and thought I wouldn't use them much.

Usually one makes an appearance in every project I do

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/26/21 4:16 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I'm sure you're reading this thinking I'm an idiot. Well, you're right, but not on this topic. A 1" extension is as great as flat-head screws are the devil. 

Along these lines, a set of wobble extensions come in handy a lot (including the really short one). I find they work better than the universal joints and often give me just enough room to work. Those things all joined together make getting at the top bellhousing bolts possible on my E28.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/26/21 4:31 p.m.

I bought my Milwaukee 2767-20 1/2" impact (https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20) to take off a Honda crank bolt. It's taken those off with ease, and I've also used it to nail out a few friends who had some very stuck bolts.  I love the step down feature in reverse, which reduces the RPM after the bolt breaks loose, it works great for lug nuts.

I've bought a few Milwaukee M12 and M18 lights that have come in handy on a lot of projects.  The older I get, the more light I need in order to work effectively.

I love the 3/8" long reach flex head ratchet I bought from HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-flex-head-long-handle-ratchet-62333.html

EDIT: Forgot my Milwaukee M12 compact inflator: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/2475-20

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/26/21 4:34 p.m.

JIS screwdrivers.  I bought them mainly to use for scooters/motorcycles, but they’ve pretty much replaced my Phillips screwdrivers, at least for disassembly.

I agree with the wobble extensions.  I’ve also been meaning to pick up a set of mid depth sockets, but just haven’t gotten around to it.  Might order a set tonight.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
1/26/21 4:48 p.m.

The moment I read the thread title, I came here to post "scraper" but Woody beat me to it.

Like that commercial for hot sauce where the little old lady says "I put that E36 M3 on everything".

Most-Useful-Tool-Evarrr 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/26/21 4:56 p.m.

My 1/2" cordless impact gun, and impact extensions. Its such a game changer, moreso than I expected. It's probably my favorite tool in the garage. 

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/26/21 5:17 p.m.

Another vote for a set of wobble extensions. I picked up a set of 3 3/8" from HF a few years ago. The 1 inch extension get used a lot in combination with the other 3", 6" and 10" extensions to get the right length for the workspace.

About 15 years ago, I bought a set of 2 stubby ratchets from HF. They are a little longer than the normal stubbies so you can still get good leverage but they fit in tighter areas than normal length ratchets. It was purely an impulse buy (what isn't at a HF?) but I use them all the time.

Also, a hole saw set. I can't remember the brand (I bought it at Home Depot IIRC) but it was a little more than twice the cost for one hole saw and auger set. I bought it originally to install a small LED light in my Jeep's steel bumper but have used the set for drilling into drywall, drilling holes to install speakers and a few other things.

Lastly, I hate not having enough light when working on something. Every room in my house has like 5 flashlights. All shapes and sizes. A few days ago, I bought a NEBO Slim LED light off of Amazon. Its pretty small, puts out 500 lumens, is rechargeable and has a nice clip. I used it Sunday when replacing a toilet fill valve in the master bath where there was not any room beside the toilet. A man can never have enough flashlights or work lights.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
1/26/21 5:29 p.m.

Allen T-handles, I purchased a set from snap on when I worked on motorcycles full time and thought I should sell them. Kids bicycles, stunt scooters, RC stuff etc all very handy! I only get the sockets out when somethings too tight for the T-handles 

Cadman5
Cadman5 Reader
1/26/21 5:40 p.m.

An oscillating saw has revolutionized my home improvement capabilities. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/21 5:42 p.m.

I probably paid 99 cents for this item, on sale, at the Hammer Store.  I used the 90 degree version specifically so much more than I ever thought I would. 

I especially like it for connectors like this where you need to push down on the tab while pulling.  That small pointy, 90 degree end can be perfect for pushing or prying in the right spot.  

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 5:48 p.m.

My digetal Caliper.  I bought it for one particular job, but I find it way too useful to stick it on a shelf and forget about it.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/26/21 6:00 p.m.

The little Milwaukee M12 impact driver (2462-20). Got it as part of a bundle deal, didn't give it much thought. That thing gets used nearly constantly.

Astro Pneumatic nano impact sockets. Fit almost anywhere with a ratchet, and I love the 17mm hex built in for when you need to fit in really tiny spaces.

Wera Zyklop flex-head ratchet. The locking flex head is tremedously useful, and the little sleeve on the shank allows you to hold the tool securely while spinning it in the vertical position - a really nice detail that makes such a difference in use.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/26/21 6:25 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

My digetal Caliper.  I bought it for one particular job, but I find it way too useful to stick it on a shelf and forget about it.

I have a plastic caliper that I actually use all the time.  The digital one mostly stays in the toolbox because I rarely need that level of precision.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/26/21 6:36 p.m.

For years now it is one of those orange handled screw drivers with 2 double ended tips that they used to sell at the checkouts for less than $3.  I love it so much I went online to find them to buy one for each of my vehicles.  They no longer exist in the same form.  

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/26/21 7:07 p.m.

18v cordless impact. It is absolutely the most used tool in my house. I'm always doing something around the house and I never reach for a screwdriver anymore. It always has a quick change bit adapter in it. I bought a set of spade bits that chuck into the impact and HOLY SMOKES does it get the job done. My 18v cordless drill sits unless I need the higher speed for some reason.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/26/21 7:46 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
DrBoost said:

A 1" extension is useful -- but a set of mid-length sockets are way more useful.  I bought my set of metric mid-lengths about 20 years ago because I needed a ton of options in 13mm (various turbo fasteners in hard-to-access locations on a Miata) and, like Adrian, the set was less than twice the price of a singleton socket.  Now I use the mid-length sockets all the time.

I have mid-length sockets too. I do like them as well, but my 1" extension turns all sockets into mid-length. It makes every socket an intermediate length. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
1/26/21 7:49 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I probably paid 99 cents for this item, on sale, at the Hammer Store.  I used the 90 degree version specifically so much more than I ever thought I would. 

I especially like it for connectors like this where you need to push down on the tab while pulling.  That small pointy, 90 degree end can be perfect for pushing in the right spot.  

99 cents, pfff, my uncle was a dentist and I got his set of six surgical grade stainless steel picks when he passed away for freeee!!!

Not only are they great at picking stuff, they're amazing at mixing tarter sauce because they've seen at lot of, well, you know... 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ns0SvZidDW34ae98x97oJ7WC5vl1sBWQEKQe1vTP9SMXDyoXUfiBuloR3sTjSuEI