1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/2/11 8:47 p.m.

http://www.insideline.com/car-news/top-gear-usa-second-season-gets-more-episodes.html

Just the Facts: * Top Gear's ratings on History have improved significantly during its second season. * This has led the cable network to extend the number of episodes it will air during the second season. * The new episodes will debut early in 2012. HOLLYWOOD, California — Whether or not the American version of Top Gear on the History cable channel is an artistic success is open for debate. What's no longer in question is whether it's working business-wise. After a successful second season that saw the show's ratings climb, History has decided to extend the second season with an order for additional episodes from BBC Worldwide Productions. "We're very happy with this," said Executive Producer John Hesling in a phone conversation with Inside Line. "Our big challenge has been learning how to keep the audience through the commercial breaks. Of course in Britain, the original Top Gear doesn't have that challenge since it's on the BBC and they don't have commercials. We now keep a story arc across the commercial breaks that holds the audience." Through the second season, Top Gear USA averaged an audience of 1.9 million viewers, with about 1.1 million each in the commercially desirable Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 demographics. Particularly satisfying to History is a 24-percent increase in audience size for the Adults 18-49 demographic that has helped Top Gear draw History's youngest audience ever. The additional eight episodes will extend Top Gear USA's second season into 2012. Among the wacky antics planned are the three hosts attempting to chauffeur celebrities to the Emmy Awards in bizarre limousines and finding dangerous ways to recharge electric vehicles while they're still moving. All three hosts — Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust and Rutledge Wood — will continue with the show. "I don't think it was clear who the hosts are and what their attitudes are in the first season," adds Hesling. "But the stories now are exciting and big and driven by the hosts' personalities. You need people to love the hosts and that's what we're concentrating on."
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/2/11 8:54 p.m.

There has been plenty of negative feedback in here about this show, but I like it and will continue to watch it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/2/11 8:59 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I like it and will continue to watch it.

As do I. It is lots of fun.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/2/11 9:01 p.m.

I like it a WHOLE LOT better than "the car show". That pile of trash would be more impressive if I hosted it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/2/11 9:15 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I like it a WHOLE LOT better than "the car show". That pile of trash would be more impressive if I hosted it.

true

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/2/11 9:16 p.m.

The second season was really a watershed moment for me. I was totally on the fence after season one. Had some moments but was a solid meh. Gave season 2 a shot simply because well, it's TV and cars. The moment that solidified it for me was when Tanner (yes, Tanner, the Tanner I think is a right hootus) was drifting the 1 ton Ford around Rut and Adam yelling "AMERICA!!!! AMERICA!!!. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. For some reason, it epitomized what the ridiculousness of the show means to me. And then just as Tanner was beginning to earn some cred with me, he stuffed the Citroen into the wall because he couldn't beat it at Xgames and again lost all cred he had with me.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/2/11 9:27 p.m.

I didn't finish the first season, but it was mentioned to me that the second season was good. I was amazed how much better the second season was. The picking on Tanner was a big part of it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/2/11 9:42 p.m.

Why can't they make a car show of nothing but real life nobody car guys? Of course they would have to good in front of a camera, but it would be more interesting than a bunch of D-list celebrities bickering like old women.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/2/11 9:50 p.m.

I enjoyed the first season, really liked the 2nd and am looking forward to the 3rd. The guys are settling in well and should really be doing some funny stuff

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/2/11 10:38 p.m.

I just can't like the American Top Gear, because i compare it to the British Top Gear. Even though i love Tanner Foust. I just loved how calm and grown up/mild the British hosts were. The American hosts seem like rowdy, obnoxious kids who need to take some Ritalin. Might just be me.

Grizzly
Grizzly New Reader
11/2/11 11:02 p.m.
EdenPrime wrote: I just can't like the American Top Gear, because i compare it to the British Top Gear. Even though i love Tanner Foust. I just loved how calm and grown up/mild the British hosts were. The American hosts seem like rowdy, obnoxious kids who need to take some Ritalin. Might just be me.

Dude, did you ever actually watch British Top Gear?

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/2/11 11:04 p.m.

In reply to Grizzly:

I did, and i know they did goofy things and all, but they seemed witty and fun. The American guys just annoy me too much-- i have to change the channel.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/2/11 11:32 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I like it a WHOLE LOT better than "the car show". That pile of trash would be more impressive if I hosted it.

I honestly have no issues with The Car Show. BTW--did it get canceled?

I wish it was still an hour. Salley was dumped unceremoniously and I kinda liked having him around. That said, the remaining 3 know what they're talking about and I'm genuinely entertained by them.

I'm also a fan of TGUS. It's come a long way and is a damn fine show now.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/3/11 12:03 a.m.

TG USA has been filming a segment in Ouray County, Colorado off and on this past month. They were in Ridgway last Saturday doing stuff with minivans and sheep. They also filmed on a local Jeep trail called Engineer Pass (the segment starting from US 550, for those who know the area).

imirk
imirk Reader
11/3/11 12:07 a.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: They were in Ridgway last Saturday doing stuff with minivans and sheep.

This sounds great out of context. I really like how TG USA has grown

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
11/3/11 8:31 a.m.

The Jeep tour I took in Ridgeway a few years ago was one of the highlights of my trip out west - I'll be looking forward to that episode.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
11/3/11 8:32 a.m.

TGUSA has definitely got better. I don't think the hosts will ever match up to TGUK, but at least they are spending the money on visuals and production values. It would be nice if they were a bit more creative-- a lot of the stuff is just a rehash of something done on TGUK. I guess they are counting on little overlap between the audiences, which is probably not realistic.

The Car Show hasn't been canceled, but it hasn't been picked up for a second season, the last I read. With firing Smalley (no loss) and shortening the show (not much loss) it is clear they are struggling. Carolla is a poor choice to carry a show like that. He tends to irritate a lot of guys (like me) and alienate most women. That only leaves a pretty small audience to play to, mostly Howard Stern's lost fans and guys that will watch just because there are cars, vintage cars, and racing included (like me). The best compliment I've heard for it is "it is better than Motorweek."

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
11/3/11 8:36 a.m.

I think that The Car Show has improved since moving to the short format - some good stuff has been cut, but so the gimmicky crap they tried in the first few episodes.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/3/11 8:36 a.m.

Rarely will my wife or 9 year old daughter watch ANY car show or race with me. They leave the room and go find something else to do.

This show they will watch and my daughter loves it. It might not be as good as the other Top Gear but it is a start with my family.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/3/11 8:49 a.m.

The high point of TGUSA for me was Tanner bouncing the front end of that BMW like he was straight outta Compton.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/3/11 8:58 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: The high point of TGUSA for me was Tanner bouncing the front end of that BMW like he was straight outta Compton.

I think someone described it as "letting his douchbag flag fly." Letting their personalities show really makes it a fun show to watch. If people here on the forums didn't express their personality along with their opinion, which is inherently wrong, I wouldn't be on as often and I would be missed.

Its fun to watch and I'm excited to see a longer season.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
11/3/11 9:01 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Gave season 2 a shot simply because well, it's TV and cars.

This.

I like the show, and given the 100's of channels available on Dish and other Cable providers now, I could not understand the hatred aimed at this show from car guys early on. Would you rather it be replaced with another reality show? more housewives of some city? more whatever crap is generated on a daily basis. It's cars, with car guys, and it's improving.

I also enjoyed seeing the B-Body Roadmaster wagon full of water and tires squatting continuing to run with however many thousands of extra pounds on board.

Glad to hear there's a business case to continue, as they seem to be getter better with age.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/3/11 9:31 a.m.

While TGUS isn't everything I would like in the show as others have said, it is better than more reality or other nonsense.

I like Tanner, I can tolerate fatty, but Adam makes me want to change the channels. The other Adam (car show) also annoys me. I got about 15 minutes of the first car show and it wouldn't have mattered how good the other guys were, the format, theme and HIM made it unwatchable.

I am sure TGUS will branch out to do more non-TGUK stuff as it grows, but it only makes sense at first to copy the parts of the UK show that have worked. It's hedging your bets.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/3/11 9:47 a.m.

I like Tanner because he's the only one on both shows who has been a professional driver. He knows how to drive. That said, I think they amped up his jerk level way to high on season two. Rutledge is nice, but even I'm not that southern. Adam? Well, sometimes he makes sense, but then he goes and destroys a car for no reason. I'm hoping season three balances this out.

cardiacdog
cardiacdog Reader
11/3/11 10:00 a.m.

Both of the Adams are annoying to me. Carolla's voice is enough by itself. I like Matt Farah. He and Dan are like the odd couple of the car world. I agree with most that the second season of TGUSA is improved. TGUK wasn't exactly a rousing success when it first started. I'm watching the "lost season" and a lot of it is pretty sorry.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IBTBbMcPvPujqIQ7stnTg4aib70QvuBNQvvy4RPOJPyiI1EhG3CJnbresZ60PkRW