poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/14/19 3:51 p.m.

I really want to get one of these as a “happy birthday to me” in the next month or so.

Definitely looking for a “rough cut” and breakaway/“stump-jumper” features.

I’ve missed the boat on a couple $1k semi-local Swishers recently, mainly due to not having the time to drive an hour one way with an unregistered tilt trailer with no lights that I’d rather not sink the money into to add either of these things.

...So I’m considering buying new. Would like to keep it AROUND $2k. I was initially thinking “bigger is better” on the width, but am now thinking the 44” models might be better for maneuvering around big trees & such and save me a few bucks.

Any “brand loyalty” or displacement recommendations? A few years ago my small engine repair dude told me briggs & even tecumseh names don’t really mean anything anymore as they’re all made in china.

Swisher? DR field & brush? Dirty Hands? AcrEase?

Your opinions are appreciated!

poopshovel again
7/14/19 4:11 p.m.

EDIT: While I said I’d rather not pick up, this is tempting, and “only” an hour away.

moltar
moltar None
7/15/19 9:02 p.m.

Not a canoe, I promise. Just been lurking for way too long.

I have a Swisher 44" rough cut with 12.hp briggs and stump jumper blades. Tow it behind my 4-wheeler- pretty much if I can run it over then the cutter can do its thing. 1" saplings are no trouble, 2" take a little more care to not stall the engine. Bought it used 1.5 years ago for $400 used in good condition, sharpened the blades once and changed the oil twice. Starts on first or at most 2nd pull every time and has plenty of power. It's been through lots of abuse in the Missouri ozarks chewing up brush, saplings, weeds, and the occasional large rock. If you buy a Swisher, pick up a spare OEM belt, mine came with some random brand for a spare and when that broke it was replaced with a nice Gates - both of those belts broke with under an hour of usage. Current Swisher belt has at least 10 hours on it now and is still in great condition.

After a year of abuse (plus whatever the PO did) my hitch "fingers" started to bend so I welded a HF 2" coupler on. Now it's easier to connect and the extra length makes backing up much easier.

Here's some pictures of the mower the day I bought it and my hitch modification. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rEaoMXsybQJxDQBQ9

If you have the patience, you can find a much better deal than that DR. After missing several buys, Craigslist dried up for a few months with ridiculous asking prices of $1000-1200 for the same thing. They can be had brand new, direct from Swisher, for $1400. Of course the drive to mid-MO is much more convinient for me than you...

Familiarize yourself with the looks of a brush hog (with stump jumper) vs a finish mower - many people don't know what they have and advertise as the wrong thing. This is the Swisher 44" finish mower: https://www.swisherinc.com/fce11544bs-swisherr-11-5-hp-44-electric-start-finish-cut-trail-mower.html

Couple more things I've learned - don't go pick one up with ramps and a midsize truck thinking it will fit. It's heavy and doesn't fit very well. 2 people loading wasn't too bad, one person unloading was dumb and I'm surprised to have not severed any limbs in the process. But I didn't have time to get my trailer before meeting the guy. - leave a small gap on the blade bolts, nickle thickness is what I read (I think anyway). If you go too tight, when a blade swivels from rock/tree contact it will tighten the bolt and lock the blade folded. Loosening the bolts in this condition is a royal pain, especially when you're best hammer is either a large rock or old logging spike.

One thing is certain, these things are awesome. You'll enjoy whichever one you pick up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/19 9:57 p.m.

If you get one, please, please, please call it the "Toecutter?"

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/16/19 7:50 a.m.

OP - what do you plan to tow it with?

Full disclosure -- I've been looking at mountain land in your area and am looking for a basic clearing setup would work on any kind of real incline.

poopshovel again
7/16/19 12:51 p.m.
nderwater said:

OP - what do you plan to tow it with?

Full disclosure -- I've been looking at mountain land in your area and am looking for a basic clearing setup would work on any kind of real incline.

The disco or poopfinder. I also have the riding mower and a crappy 4-wheeler, but I like AC.

I’d be using this to re-clear the stuff we paid thousands to clear a couple years ago. There’s a bunch of pokeweed, privet, etc that needs to be literally nipped in the bud.

Also, LMK if I can help with the property search! 

poopshovel again
7/16/19 12:54 p.m.

In reply to moltar :

I don’t have the patience :/ 

I’ve never seen a swisher for much less than $1k. So I’m thinking I’ll either grab that 20HP DR or just buy a new swisher.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
7/16/19 1:06 p.m.

This could be relevant to my needs in the future. Following.

poopshovel again
7/18/19 11:08 a.m.

Somebody “done up & gone’d” that DR, so I’m thinking a new swisher is going to be the hot ticket. I’ll likely just grab this one unless there are any dissenting votes.

Trying to get it here and running by 8/3 for 18-hole frisbee golfin awesomeness.

Also @nderwater, I sent you a dm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IuX2kDyK9Dg68v7z4Aa9HGycAefQgQiQwKL0pfWPrAZuTZNvd3Bo7jJPYOBs0SkP