AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
4/14/21 1:17 p.m.

Last October I sold my Buick as a parts car with title. I filed a vehicle sale report and went on with my life. I February I get a letter from a tow yard saying they have my car. I glanced outside to make sure the Camaro was still there and gave them a call. I informed them that I was no longer the owner of the car, the sale paperwork had been filed, i gave them the name of the new owner and told them never to bother me again. Then I called the DMV to make sure the paperwork  was in order. They assured me it was.

Last night I get a letter from a collection agency trying to collect on a $800 tow bill. I'm not paying them jack E36 M3e, but other than driving a plow truck through their office window I am unsure how to proceed.

I'm in washington state if it makes a difference.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
4/14/21 1:34 p.m.

They have to prove a debt and you have paperwork that has been filed with the state saying you didn't own the car on the date it was towed. Inform them, in writing that you have no debt with them as you did not own the vehicle when this debt was incurred and any further attempt to collect will be viewed as harassment. Document everything and if they contact you again, lawyer up.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
4/14/21 1:49 p.m.

Tell them to call you tomorrow. 

Tomorrow, tell them to call you tomorrow...

Or you could just tell them that your proof is better than their proof and to go pound sand. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
4/14/21 2:03 p.m.

One thing I'd be worried about is a possible hit to your credit for collections. 

I would try to get them to pull the collections attempt and be polite up until that point.  If they remain obstinate, well... you were polite 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/14/21 2:10 p.m.
APEowner
APEowner Dork
4/14/21 2:37 p.m.

Just send the collection agency a copy of the sale paperwork.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/14/21 2:39 p.m.
Johnboyjjb said:

They have to prove a debt and you have paperwork that has been filed with the state saying you didn't own the car on the date it was towed. Inform them, in writing that you have no debt with them as you did not own the vehicle when this debt was incurred and any further attempt to collect will be viewed as harassment. Document everything and if they contact you again, lawyer up.

100% correct.  I can personally verify that this path works. I was blessed to not have to resort to threats other than mentioning my documentation and a willingness to let my lawyer handle it. Very civil YMMV. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/14/21 3:05 p.m.

Counterpoint: Do you want to buy the car back for $800? This is your opportunity to do just that.

AClockworkGarage
4/14/21 3:07 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

One thing I'd be worried about is a possible hit to your credit for collections. 

That is literally the only thing I'm worried about.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/14/21 3:08 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Counterpoint: Do you want to buy the car back for $800? This is your opportunity to do just that.

Unless its a grand national, any "buick parts car" aint worth $800 (prove me wrong :) )

AClockworkGarage
4/14/21 3:09 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Counterpoint: Do you want to buy the car back for $800? This is your opportunity to do just that.re

It was a wrecked parts car that I sold for $500. So... no. very no.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/14/21 3:39 p.m.

Validate the debt.

Prove them wrong that it isn't yours.

Retain an attorney just for some sabre  rattling. Further communication will result in harassment.

Run credit reports and dispute the collection with all agencies reporting it. They still have 30 days to respond, so it will take a bit to have an answer.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
4/14/21 10:56 p.m.

They're hoping you pay to make them go away and avoid a credit hit.

As others have noted, prove you don't owe the debt. Bill them for your time, and take *THEM* to collections or small claims court if they don't pay.

berkeley them.

cabbagecop
cabbagecop New Reader
4/15/21 1:28 a.m.

Not sure about Washington but in Florida a tow company can put a wrecker lien against your license and registration so you can't renew them until the tow company has been paid. Had this happen to a friend he sold a truck that the purchaser didn't transfer over and then abandoned it after a hit & run. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzbCrxlRFoIEGTLLvZdo64bgBfItRYAxjwVhRVsLMECmyNu119gRK3chUNlKiDxP