1 2 3
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/3/20 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

Nice! 

All right everyone, throw you questions out there and let's see if we can get enough for a show. Recording again on Monday!

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/3/20 8:04 p.m.

I’m glad I found this. You guys seem like my kind of people, and I really enjoy your take on the philosophical aspect of race car stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/4/20 6:45 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

What is one (or more) "beyond bucket list" event for each of you?  Infinite funding, no limits, where would you be racing?

"How you do anything is how you do everything"- is there a time that this repeatedly bites you and something you're doing to change that?  Or a notable time that you did something different and managed to incorporate that into your new "how you do everything?"

mazdeuce - Seth
12/4/20 7:14 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I could fll a whole podcast myself with how my personality failings affect my racing. laugh

I like those questions and I'd certainly like to hear how Scott answers them, he and I are quite different on where we are and where we're going. I think anyway. 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
12/4/20 11:13 a.m.

Hey Seth - Just a quick post to let you know that I'm enjoying your podcast.  Every episode has made me want to hang with you guys and participate in the conversation.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/4/20 1:23 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Awe shucks....kicks dirt..... thanks man. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
12/4/20 4:22 p.m.

Had another idea. Maybe an episode about the challenge? Not sure how much Scott could relate but definitely interesting. 
Oh and you had me laughing today, I couldn't put a wheel on the inside of a 8 year old with his parents watching, what kind of person would that make me if I wrecked him!

12/4/20 7:41 p.m.

In one episode you mentioned how you did OneLap in the CTSV and have since done it in slower cars, on purpose.

Maybe delving into the “why” behind that could be the basis of an episode?

12/4/20 7:43 p.m.
APEowner said:

... Every episode has made me want to hang with you guys and participate in the conversation.

Totally this. You guys have a good thing going.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/6/20 6:39 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

In one episode you mentioned how you did OneLap in the CTSV and have since done it in slower cars, on purpose.

Maybe delving into the “why” behind that could be the basis of an episode?

As anyone who has hung out with me in person knows, there is the short answer, and there is the 20 minute story answer. laugh

Thank you very much for the encouragement. 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
12/6/20 9:17 a.m.

If she's up for it, I'd very much like to hear your daughter's take on this past bike season and what it's like to race with her dad.

Another cool episode or episodes might be interviews with all the involved kids and spouses about living with a racer and how it effects their lives and their own thought processes and philosophies on life.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
12/6/20 3:08 p.m.

Seth - you're a fantastic storyteller (I know nobody has ever told you that before). Listening to your Grom endure episode and loving it.

I don't listen to podcasts. I found myself talking to my phone listening to you guys. +1 to APE's comment. Keep up the good work.

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
12/6/20 5:48 p.m.
APEowner said:

If she's up for it, I'd very much like to hear your daughter's take on this past bike season and what it's like to race with her dad.

Another cool episode or episodes might be interviews with all the involved kids and spouses about living with a racer and how it effects their lives and their own thought processes and philosophies on life.

both have been talked about and will be done at some point!

mazdeuce - Seth
12/7/20 10:19 a.m.

For anyone who doesn't now, apexanimal is Scott. Even though he's listed as a new reader, he's been here for a while, he's just shy. 

This week's show is fun, Brian DeFrees who has done One Lap with me twice talks to us. The most interesting part for me is listening to him talk about bailing on me to do One Lap in 2019 with his dad. Good stuff. 

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/7/20 6:11 p.m.

Yet another enjoyable listen this week. Thanks guys. Running in One Lap is still on my bucket list.

Subscriber-unavailabile
12/14/20 7:09 a.m.

Good show this week fellas! 
I haven't been able to race in couple years now unfortunately but can somewhat relate the differences from improving your driving in different way.

I've been driving big trucks for long time now, mostly short 28 ft trailers these days. Driving a 10/12 speed teaches you a LOT about heel toe'n. You HAVE to rev match downshifts, otherwise you can't downshift. After having to drive a truck that way I don't even know how to not heel toe in my own car.

Another interesting thing driving trucks, especially my route driving down rural twisty country roads. I've learned a lot about braking and keeping momentum. In a truck that does 0-60 in what seems a minute, and a governor at 65mph, I've learned a lot on how to brake less, take turns wider and keep the speed I have. I know it's sad but it's fun setting a timer and seeing how much I can improve my times driving out BFE. 

Also, I've learned a lot about situational awareness driving. Constantly scanning 10 cars ahead for hazards, checking side to side and what's going on behind you. Like the ol saying the best defense is offense. 

I know sounds stupid, I'm comparing big rigs to race car drivers. But I found similarities in what y'all were discussing. My driving skills  have greatly increased from driving a slow big ass truck and carrying that knowledge into my car. Just need my kids to grow up and move out so I can get back to racing to really try my skills!

mazdeuce - Seth
12/14/20 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

Thanks! I honestly don't think this episode quite came out how I expected but that's on me. I meant to put in more of what you're talking about. The little things where you change your state of mind/focus to build a skill set at lower speed. I should have had you do the episode. laugh

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) UltimaDork
12/14/20 3:37 p.m.

I listened to episodes 3 and 4 while I was taking a drive out to the kart track to get out a bit and to remind myself how long a drive it is so I can weigh the lower cost and risk against home being ten minutes from Portland International Raceway.

Having fun now vs having had fun when you get to the end of it is such a big part of the human experience. Cycling provides a lot of that, kinda specializes in it. A fellow being interviewed for a local festival of riding up hills mentioned that it was "Type 2 fun. It's a fun thing to have done." And that really stuck with me; my wife and some friends have picked it up, and we use it sometimes to identify and get on with it when it's not feeling fun in the moment.

And I should say I am very much enjoying the podcast! Keep up the good work, guys!

Subscriber-unavailabile
12/14/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Well I dunno bout me hosting..

Another big thing I've learned is weight transfer. Shifting weight to outside of vehicle before entering a corner helps things stabilize throughout a corner.

Maybe y'all could have someone call in for quick interview, or a listener call in kinda thing.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/15/20 8:35 a.m.

I have been listening to the podcast while working in the garage which has been nice. Today I went into the office and listened to episode #9. It was a good episode to hear on the road. I'm really enjoying the podcast. Keep it up!

mazdeuce - Seth
12/15/20 3:34 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you very much. Monday evening is when we record. It's become my favorite day of the week. The planning and the social interaction have become a great thing for me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/17/20 7:07 a.m.

So you talked about practicing brake release and at nearly the same time a Team O'Neil video on the Limo Stop appeared.  Coincidence?

APEowner
APEowner Dork
12/17/20 3:42 p.m.

I'm enjoying the latest episode.  I'm just starting the car improvement section but I found your street car driver improvement stuff to be spot on. 

Your "be aware of everything happening in the parking lot" exercise is one I hadn't heard of before but I can see how it would be helpful in developing the ability to keep an eye out for stuff happening on track that's not right in front of you.

In addition to the things that you discussed I also encourage my students to think about the racing line as they drive on the street.  Particularly on winding roads.  On most roads your lane is significantly wider than your car and you can position your car within the lane as you would on the track.  By being deliberate about how you position your car within the lane and where you speed up and slow down for the corners the lines that feel unnatural to beginners start to be ingrained.  It also encourages you to perform the rapid analysis of the last corner that one needs to continue to improve.  I make it a point to emphasize that if you can't actually stay in your lane you're going to fast for public roads.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/18/20 6:26 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  and APEowner:

Thanks guys. It was fun to see which tricks each of us use and try to teach to others. It was also timely becasue I'm about to start road teaching with kid#3 after the new year. I have to get in the right frame of mind to remember all of the things to teach. After she listened to the show she suggested that we glue a cup to the top of the tank on the bikes and see if we can do an InitialD tofu challenge around the kart track. laugh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/21/20 10:17 a.m.

I thought the "two people racing in one household, can't have one person having better components" discussion was amusing- whenever I have to build two of something for the car, I do my side first for practice before building Sara's side.  All the mistakes are on my side of the car. cheeky

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pBwzt9209c537aw2kTUAdSIYY5o6NcrIv6kIleL2T6a8ApHbyAU7SWulgPhnpKiY