wbjones
wbjones Dork
8/6/10 7:38 p.m.

other states (NC & SC) have something called Prayer for Judgement

explanation : http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content27086.aspx

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/7/10 8:15 a.m.

This thread reminds me of why I use a radar detector. It's nice to know when I am under covert surveillance. Most times I just follow traffic flow (the nail that sticks up is the one that gets hit!) which generally runs 5-7 MPH above the speed limit but when that thing chirps it's time to get closer to the speed limit and watch out. No, it's not perfect but it gives me a better chance of not getting ticketed.

In this morning's scandal rag, the SC Highway Patrol says they are stepping up enforcement in what's called the 'death zones' on I-26. This same scandal rag recently published a 3 part huge expose' of the death rates on certain parts of I-26, including pics of the roadside memorials and all that, big maps with colored bands showing the most dangerous spots, etc. The paper's article didn't quantify it by time of day etc, only by the number of fatalities in certain areas.

But in today's paper the HP noted that the highest concentration of fatal accidents is between midnight and 4AM. Of course they are stepping up enforcement 24 hours a day (not just at the worst times) and announced a zero tolerance for speeding.

Funnay thing about that: in this state since no politician has balls, budget cuts are across the board. If some useless program gets cut 10% then so does everything else, so the HP has had a budget cut. Hmmm....

wbjones
wbjones Dork
8/7/10 11:22 a.m.

I travel down that way (Asheville - Daytona) each yr... where are these so called "death zones" .??

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/7/10 1:15 p.m.
zomby woof wrote: Wow. Hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket is off the charts retarded.

I used to think that. Not anymore.

When I was younger, I went to court myself. Did the respect thing, the system basically operated in a somewhat logical way.

I recently got a ticket (wrongly) for the "move over" law. I had to go to court twice before they dropped the charges. 9 hours of my life spent watching our ridicuously disfunctional system waste people's time.

It is not a justice system, it is a convoluted corrupt system of revenue raising for local communities.

What I did notice was how pal-sy the judge and prosector were with the defense attorneys, and how much better it went for each of the people who had an attorney. Reduced fines, reduced points, and expedited schedules were the norm, while the rest of us slobs waited.

I will hire a lawyer next time.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/7/10 8:13 p.m.
wbjones wrote: I travel down that way (Asheville - Daytona) each yr... where are these so called "death zones" .??

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/14/death-zones/

There's a link on that page to a PDF that shows the worst spots. The one that's closest to me is the Ridgeville one. That is straight, smooth pavement well marked, has the buzz strips etc. The trees in the median are close to the road, I think that's the real problem. Someone nods off, runs of fthe road and doesn't have enough time to put it back on the pavement and winds up hitting a tree.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/8/10 1:58 a.m.
SVreX wrote: It is not a justice system, it is a convoluted corrupt system of revenue raising for local communities.

It's disgusting how bad it has gotten here in the past few months. My wife was given her third ticket of the year. This time for no seatbelt. She says she was wearing it and I believe her since she normally keeps it on at drive in movies and Sonic unless I say something to her. She said when she pointed out to the cop she was wearing it he said good luck trying to prove it.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/8/10 2:04 a.m.
Wally wrote:
SVreX wrote: It is not a justice system, it is a convoluted corrupt system of revenue raising for local communities.
It's disgusting how bad it has gotten here in the past few months. My wife was given her third ticket of the year. This time for no seatbelt. She says she was wearing it and I believe her since she normally keeps it on at drive in movies and Sonic unless I say something to her. She said when she pointed out to the cop she was wearing it he said good luck trying to prove it.

It gets even worse:

http://jalopnik.com/5604559/how-one-good-samaritan-was-arrested-for-driving-drunks-home?skyline=true&s=i

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/8/10 7:39 a.m.

As the local budgets have gotten pinched, I suspect there is a greater emphasis on traffic violation revenues.

I expect it to continue to get worse. I will be using an attorney next time.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
2/25/11 1:22 p.m.

will that work if i get a speeding ticket in my canoe?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
2/25/11 1:59 p.m.

Dang it. Canoe-d

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
2/25/11 2:10 p.m.

If you go and the officer doesn't show up, they usually dismiss it. That may be how he helps you out. LOL

I've gotten some dismissed that way (like one that was 104 in a 60). It's awesome.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
2/25/11 3:16 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
zomby woof wrote: Wow. Hiring a lawyer for a speeding ticket is off the charts retarded.
What I did notice was how pal-sy the judge and prosector were with the defense attorneys, and how much better it went for each of the people who had an attorney. Reduced fines, reduced points, and expedited schedules were the norm, while the rest of us slobs waited. I will hire a lawyer next time.

That's because they are members of the same country club, secret societies, blah blah blah. Remember, they are or were all lawyers at one time.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yHyMUX23kLThIQXeHuT3izbtype5qmJIavONZz4QckcIEJgM00nsvF3OGXmswplO