1 2
Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
7/8/12 8:40 a.m.

The name pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a new pair of shoes to wear pretty much every day. I've used trail running shoes in the past and really liked them. I went to 6 shoe stores yesterday though and only found a few which I didn't like.

I'm considering the New Balance MT461 or the Salomon Men's XA PRO 3D Ultra 2 Trail. Any other recommendations?

Will
Will Dork
7/8/12 9:00 a.m.

Saucony has some great choices. I'm normally not a brand whore, but that's the only brand of sneaker I've worn for over 15 years.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
7/8/12 9:32 a.m.

I don't know how you'd feel about these but I bought some barefoot running shoes recently. They have a toe box instead of the Vibram five fingers. Merrell barefoot shoes. That was it.

I wear them when I can which is most places as they look enough like regular shoes to avoid notice.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/8/12 9:43 a.m.

I've been wearing trail runners for a bunch of years now. My favorItes have been Solomon, North Face and EMS's own brand. None are cheap, but good ones are light, comfortable and they last forever.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/8/12 11:14 a.m.

New Balance 479 are also awesome. My feet love 'em.

jg

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/8/12 12:16 p.m.

I know a podiatrist who is a big fan of New Balance, but he suggests that the 800 and 900 series are significantly better than the lower models.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
7/8/12 2:25 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I don't know how you'd feel about these but I bought some barefoot running shoes recently. They have a toe box instead of the Vibram five fingers. Merrell barefoot shoes. That was it. I wear them when I can which is most places as they look enough like regular shoes to avoid notice.

I don't know how to feel about them. I've never worn any kind of minimalist shoes before. I'll check them out.

Woody, did he give a reason why? I'm not savy on NB lingo, but are the higher number models supposed to be better?

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
7/8/12 3:24 p.m.

I like New Balance and Saucony. Nike, Addidas and Reebok are good too but most of their trail/running shoes are just too colorful for me.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/8/12 6:02 p.m.

I've had good luck with Mizuno's. However, everyone's feet are different and what I like may feel like pewp to you.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/8/12 6:42 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Woody, did he give a reason why? I'm not savy on NB lingo, but are the higher number models supposed to be better?

You can see the difference in the materials that the soles are made of. If you go to a place like Sports Authority, you'll see something like a 400 series with a sole that is made up of a single material. For ten bucks more, you step up to the 500 and you can see that the sole is made up of multiple materials. Each series is a step up and he just said to go for something in the 800 or 900 range. That's when they get to the real quality stuff.

And New Balance has wide sizes.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/8/12 8:30 p.m.

Last time I was looking into trail runners, I ended up going up to a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator. It is heavier than trail runners, but I absolutely love them, and they have lasted for over 4 years now.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/8/12 9:20 p.m.

I like my New Balance 749's better than my 967's but that is not to say the 967's are not great too.
I choose NB because they come in the wide size I need.

749:

967:

I also have these 476's that I wear with shorts or jeans.
They are great too.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/8/12 11:18 p.m.

I always wished someone made a leather shoe that could be resoled, but was sporty and light enough to use as a runner.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
7/9/12 6:54 a.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

Those are nice! And I think NB is still made in the USA.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
7/9/12 7:50 a.m.

I have Salomon Discovery GTX hiking boots that are so light and comfortable I find myself wearing them all the time.

jde
jde Reader
7/9/12 9:58 a.m.
driver109x wrote: In reply to jrw1621: Those are nice! And I think NB is still made in the USA.

Not all are, check the tag on the tongue.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/9/12 10:27 a.m.

Asiacs. Best tennis/ running shoes ever.

End thread/

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
7/9/12 10:33 a.m.

Get the ones that are most comfortable for your feet. Last time I was at the runner's store, I tried on all of the brands. I ended up with another pair of New Balances.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
7/9/12 12:55 p.m.

I've been through about four pairs of various Solomon trail shoes since I first picked up a pair and won't ware anything else these days if given a choice. Not only are they comfortable, but those speed laces are great. You'll be hooked before you know it. ... I just wish the styling was better and I'd wear mine more often.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/9/12 1:05 p.m.
fromeast2west wrote: I've been through about four pairs of various Solomon trail shoes since I first picked up a pair and won't ware anything else these days if given a choice. Not only are they comfortable, but those speed laces are great. You'll be hooked before you know it. ...

x1000.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
7/9/12 1:13 p.m.

NB Minimus 101 are what I wear at work. GREAT on a ladder or for hanging onto a wall sideways...

chuckles
chuckles Reader
7/9/12 4:07 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: Get the ones that are most comfortable for your feet. Last time I was at the runner's store, I tried on all of the brands. I ended up with another pair of New Balances.

Yep. It's ALL about fit.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/9/12 4:30 p.m.

Don't even need special shoes!

JimiHendrix14
JimiHendrix14 NewSpammer
2/24/20 5:38 a.m.

I suggest that you buy the ones that are comfy in the first place. Moreover, there are a lot of good [canoes along the watchtower] to choose from.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
2/24/20 5:44 a.m.

I learned from my brother; a 53 YO ultra runner; that cheap shoes aren't the way to go.  Buying expensive isn't necessarily the end all be all way to shoe your foot, but visit a running store to get fitted and find out what kind of stride you have.  Then you can shop online for the best deals and a properly fitted shoe.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MJaMZGeCYD8K6ItfU93PHtkFOsHopsuQvYSgONG1tzfzvmgevo6qFchWbQAC1GoD