oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/27/17 5:33 p.m.

A question came up on the friends of triumph board about protecting a new enclosed trailer. Every season it seems trailers with race cars go missing. Any of you have suggestions - GPS asset tracker, couple of dingos, denver boot???

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/27/17 6:00 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Having a E36 M3ty trailer always worked for me. Though if that wasn't the case I'd definitely look into GPS(for when traveling) and some method to secure it while at home(blocked in, chained down, hidden in the backyard, etc.).

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/27/17 6:20 p.m.

Hitch locks work pretty well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/27/17 6:54 p.m.

A battery powered abrasive saw will take care of most everything you can do to secure it, but hopefully the thieves will move to an easier target. Mine has grade 70 transport chain looped through two of the wheels, welded to a 1/2 inch steel plate held to the concrete pad with two 3/4 inch wedge anchors. I expect it would slow them down by less than five minutes.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/27/17 7:10 p.m.

one of the things I intend to try is removing the hitch. Literally, I want to cut it off and install a 2" tube in the trailer that the hitch can slide into when I need to move it.

I am also considering a "lock n Roll" articulating hitch.

Lock N Roll

jere
jere HalfDork
6/27/17 7:52 p.m.

I like the chain through the wheels option best with the hitch lock. Once they cut the lock they won't be expecting the chain too

I deflate the tires leave the axle on cinder blocks for longer times it's not in use

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
6/27/17 8:16 p.m.

Old school bike U-locks can often be slipped through a wheel around the leaf spring in such a way as to be obnoxious and obvious.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/27/17 8:53 p.m.
jere wrote: I like the chain through the wheels option best with the hitch lock. Once they cut the lock they won't be expecting the chain too I deflate the tires leave the axle on cinder blocks for longer times it's not in use

remove all but one lug on each wheel? Good enough for holding it up and maybe moving it around the yard, but good luck taking it anywhere

floatingdoc
floatingdoc New Reader
6/27/17 8:57 p.m.

I used to use a heavy chain through the wheels on my boat trailer, two hitch locks.

Always can get it if they want to, just need to make it difficult for them.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
6/27/17 9:07 p.m.

Get the battery powered hitch mounted brakes with the fail safe pull pin. Modify it so that only you can turn them off once activated. Mount in an inconspicuous location, and tie pin to the ground.

Trailer moves, pulls pin, wheels lock, trailer becomes a real bear to steal.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/27/17 9:08 p.m.

Some ideas...

Paint or tape some ID on the roof in 3M black reflective - big enough to read from a helo. Thieves won't really know to paint over it.

Put "Property of United States Department of Homeland Security" decals on it.

Super loud air horn motion sensor LED array powered by hidden car battery under chassis.

Fake hitch receiver just setting in front of the real one held on with something that breaks away really easy and sets off the super loud horn motion sensor flashing LED array.

Hidden front mounted cam that uploads pics and GPS coords to spotify using a cellular link.

Make the frame "hot" with a good size automotive coil and a relay so every time someone touches it they get berkeleyhammered with 50k volts.

Sleep in it.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/27/17 9:21 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Put "Property of United States Department of Homeland Security" decals on it.

even better if you drive a black suburban or Tahoe with blacked out windows

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/28/17 6:16 a.m.

I had one of these on each side of my sailplane trailer, people walked around and looked, nothing ever happened.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/28/17 7:08 a.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: Having a E36 M3ty trailer always worked for me.

Ditto

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/28/17 7:54 a.m.

I have a boat trailer and a just skit trailer parked in my front side yard. If someone can back up through my sandy yard, dismantle my low block flowerbed border to create a path for the trailer tires to pass through, then get a trailer out without me noticing, then I guess they have a new trailer. The only thing I have done is to wrap the boat trailer surge brake and hitch area with saran wrap to try to keep it dry so it does not rust. Of course, in general nobody wants an empty boat trailer.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/28/17 8:02 a.m.

Our club trailer lives inside a parking area with 8' chain link and barbed wire. Seems to be secure enough.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/28/17 8:16 a.m.

My key is a crappy cargo trailer that people believe is impossible to load a car into. At some point i'll be able to afford a real enclosed trailer

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
6/28/17 8:51 a.m.

I had my trailer broken into twice in my driveway of my old house (which you could see the police station from). First time they used a screwdriver to bust the man door lock - it was a RV style door lock. They stole two dirt bikes and some expensive road race gear. I put a flush mounted secure lock with metal reinforcements on the man door. I used to camp in the trailer at the track, so I needed something that I could open from the inside. the next SOB chopped a hole in my door, reached in an unlocked it. stole a 2003 Yamaha R6 race bike.

After that, I spent $$ on a very loud alarm that ran off of a motorcycle battery inside the trailer. It had a fob to arm, flashed the lights and powered the breakaway electric brakes when it went off. It had motion sensors and door sensors. The way an enclosed trailer is constructed, if you want what is inside, it is easy to get in without a door. Best bet it to keep them from getting that far.

APEowner
APEowner Reader
6/28/17 9:02 a.m.

Mine is alarmed with a motion detector and door sensors. It applies the brakes and sounds a siren when activated.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/28/17 1:32 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I have a boat trailer and a just skit trailer parked

I've been trying to reverse auto correct "just skit trailer", and I can't come up with the answer.

Help?

7rx
7rx New Reader
6/28/17 1:49 p.m.

Jet Ski?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/28/17 2:02 p.m.

That's a good possibility.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
6/28/17 2:55 p.m.

My current security for my older 6x10 enclosed is to leave it hitched to the Suburban. My lot is wooded so they aren't easily seen from the street.

Like Huckleberry said, put some sort of ID on the top, the trailer VIN on top is one idea.

codrus
codrus UltraDork
6/28/17 6:11 p.m.

Take the wheels off and lock them in the house? I don't quite go that far, but mine is in the side yard of my house, behind a fence/gate, with the truck parked in front of the gate.

Security while parked at the hotel overnight is a different question.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p3EN1tslTZJiDiJunkc5IDJwY9CwJz60hNot2X1y55SuwbqjmmUwhm4sfkgtMj2o