1 2
EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/24/23 12:03 p.m.

I have a Chevy Express 3500 and have brought my dog (60 lb lab) along to many rallycross and rally events. With a vent fan in the roof and moderate insulation it will stay a comfortable temperature for her to hang out in there all day. If I can park in the shade it is easy to keep the interior in the mid-70s, parking in no shade on a 90+ degree day will get it a little warmer but still much more comfortable than outside. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
2/24/23 2:43 p.m.
EvanB said:

I have a Chevy Express 3500 and have brought my dog (60 lb lab) along to many rallycross and rally events. With a vent fan in the roof and moderate insulation it will stay a comfortable temperature for her to hang out in there all day. If I can park in the shade it is easy to keep the interior in the mid-70s, parking in no shade on a 90+ degree day will get it a little warmer but still much more comfortable than outside. 

Is it an aftermarket vent fan you installed?  What type of insulation did you put in?  I'm contemplating the tent idea and putting her on a long leash near the tent, but I also like this idea.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/24/23 3:13 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

It's one of these fans mounted in the rear of the roof (right above the bed since the van is for camping). It has a setting where you can have it run automatically to keep the temp at 78° or adjust the speed manually, I normally just run it at a medium speed. It doesn't use much battery power, I have a separate house battery now to run the fan and fridge but I ran the fan plenty before that and it didn't have any issues draining the main battery running all day. 

Maxxfan Deluxe All-In-One RV Vent, Shield & Fan - Maxxair

The insulation is 1-1/2 rigid foam in the floor (because that's how tall the seat mounts were that I needed to get above to build a flat floor), 3/4 rigid foam on the metal wall panels and roof, reflective "bubble wrap" style insulation on all the windows, the rear side windows are taped on, all the rest I put velcro on so they can pop off while driving. Insulating the windows more and probably inside the doors would make it better but it has been good enough so far. 

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
2/24/23 5:34 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cKACb5X3ZIHVMduZUuKM8Mo9Pd8ElZWRoK9Oo8xtgArl52dXrp0tcJFB19Jtfkq