1 2 3
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/29/08 6:23 p.m.

The new forum came online a while back, and I just realized that we never brought back the Trivia thread.

well... thats fixed now with the "new and improved trivia thread for the new and improved GRM forums", now with even more exclamation points!!!! (4)

Right, well, you know how it works. Ask an automotive related trivia question that you might think will stump everyone. Whoever answers correctly first gets a crack at asking the next question. This time, though, I believe we should limit questions to 3 days. If your question has not been correctly answered within 72 hours, either ask another question, or pass off the gauntlet to a frequent poster (resident nerds).

And, as always, no cheating (google, yahoo, ask, no phone-a-friend, no 50/50, and certainly no book readin')

well then, I will start....again.

In May of 1968, the Lotus F1 team showed up at Circuito Permanente del Jarama in Spain with their "Lotus 49", what was the significance of this particular car?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/29/08 6:32 p.m.

Was that Lotus's ground-effects car, emulating what Chapparal had done?

No... that's not right. Chapparal did that in '70, and I'm fairly certain they were the first people to actually try to make their car suck.

eastpark
eastpark New Reader
12/29/08 6:35 p.m.

Was it the 6 wheel car?

Luke
Luke Dork
12/29/08 6:51 p.m.

Just FYI, I started the TRIVIA!!! thread a while back http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

I do like your new and improved rules, though. And you can never have too many exclamation marks. So I propose we run with this new thread

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
12/29/08 7:12 p.m.

First Lotus designed by a computer?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/29/08 7:22 p.m.

First F1 car to run aero to create downforce?

gubby
gubby New Reader
12/29/08 7:31 p.m.

This marked the debut of corporate sponsorship in Grand Prix racing--the Lotus' livery featured the logo of Gold Leaf tobacco

gubby
gubby New Reader
12/29/08 7:41 p.m.

Sorry, I was so excited that I could actually contribute to the message board in a manner that one might deem positive that I forgot to clarify one item--that while cars had been running with corporate logo decals fixed to their bodies for some time, the Gold Leaf-Lotus deal was the first(if I am correct)time that a GP team had a "blanket" sponsor--Team Lotus was thenceforth known as "Gold Leaf Team Lotus" and their(Lotus') traditional livery of British Racing Green with yellow stripes was replaced by Gold Leaf tobacco's red and white, with a logo. Ta-Da!, and my guidance counselor said that I would never amount to anything....

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/29/08 8:48 p.m.

Gubby is correct. As an advertising student, it is the most significant car in my opinion.

alex
alex Reader
12/29/08 10:15 p.m.

The 49 was also the first F1 car to use the engine as a stressed member of the frame, I believe.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/29/08 10:23 p.m.

So what's the next question?

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/29/08 11:07 p.m.

Actually, the Gold Leaf colors appeared before Spain. They debuted in the Tasman series between the '67 and '68 F1 seasons, and made their F1 debut at the South African GP in '68 - the last win for Jimmy Clark. Spain came later.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
12/29/08 11:08 p.m.

How much did the first American car produced in quantity cost?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/29/08 11:10 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: How much did the first American car produced in quantity cost?

Define "quantity".

If you mean what I think you mean, I'll say $500, and it was offered in whatever color you wanted, so long as it was black (and had an aftermarket 4WD system that a lot of people don't know about).

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/29/08 11:29 p.m.
eastpark wrote: Was it the 6 wheel car?

That was a Tyrell. P6, IIRC. Elf livery.

gubby
gubby New Reader
12/30/08 12:33 a.m.

That is very good jgp, the Gold Leaf colors did indeed make their initial appearance during the '68 Tasman Series-a favorite one-liner of mine relates to exactly that incident: when Chris Amon voiced his displeasure over seeing a corporate logo plastered over Jim Clark's car, Jimmy retorted "don't worry Chris, you'll only ever see the back!" Anyhow, for my turn as the questioner, I was going to try and pin you with something positively diabolic like "who invented the Gurney Flap?" or "the Ferrari Enzo was named after what Italian auto magnate?" But I will go with this--

Name the first(championship level) rally car to be designed and built specifically for rallying. Start the clock p.s. the Gold leaf colors did indeed make their Formula One Debut In Spain--you could read the link if you would like to double check, and Tommy--give me time! I need it to try to come up with something good--gubby. http://grandprixinsider.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/comercial-sponsorship-discovers-motor-racing/

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/30/08 12:46 a.m.

Gubby, I stand corrected - my aging brain confused the Tasman photos with South Africa. Jimmy ws indeed still in BRG and yellow. I got to see him win at the Glen in '66 and '67.

On the rally side, I'd have to say the Lancia Stratos. (Unless you count the Porsche 904).

gubby
gubby New Reader
12/30/08 12:56 a.m.

That was quick! jgp has the floor...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
12/30/08 7:01 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Tommy Suddard wrote: How much did the first American car produced in quantity cost?
Define "quantity". If you mean what I think you mean, I'll say $500, and it was offered in whatever color you wanted, so long as it was black (and had an aftermarket 4WD system that a lot of people don't know about).

Close, but there was one before the T. The Curved Dash Oldsmobile, which debuted in 1901, was sold for $650. Oldsmobile manufactured 425 of them that year.

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/30/08 9:32 p.m.

OK, I'll be merciful and offer up this easy one.

The Olds Jetfire was the world's first turbocharged mass production car. A couple of weeks later the Chevy Corvair (yay!) became the second production turbo with the Monza Spyder (and the later Spyder stand-alone model and then the Corsa in the second generation cars).

What was the world's third production turbo car?

(This is one question where the answer is not Miata).

Luke
Luke Dork
12/30/08 9:56 p.m.

BMW 2002?

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/30/08 10:05 p.m.

Yowzah.

Take it away, Luke.

(I had thought about asking who was the first Stig (answer: Perry McCarthy), but thought I'd be kind - but wait until next time.

Luke
Luke Dork
12/30/08 10:21 p.m.

Alrighty, this should be an easy one, too.

Which famous racer is sometimes cited as the car that killed CanAm racing?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/30/08 11:23 p.m.

Chapparal 2J?

the sucker car...not sure the designation.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/30/08 11:25 p.m.

yup, I was right, just double checked with my library.

Who holds the current record for youngest Formula 1 Grand Prix winner?

(should be easy)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w7z8wAr5VbPHQkvvsY14dMfUBqMqX9mY3vVqoIdNKE1xyaLu0QgDktzEPLRBsBKI