Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/23/23 12:33 p.m.

Had to stop at a customer in Chicago - interesting the cars parked on the side street I went down.  Remember we are in the rust belt and Chicago uses a lot of salt on the streets.  Always fascinated by the Saab guy - cars parked across from each other.  

Me also thinks the Buick and Olds might be the same guy since they are parked close to each other.  

Fifteen years ago I was in Berkeley, California and drove the streets grabbing pictures - lots of Volvos, Saabs and BMW's.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/23/23 12:39 p.m.

With the kinds of winters up there, how are they not gone back to the earth?!!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/23/23 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Those are some unique cars to be in one block. 

It would be interesting to go to Google Maps street view and see what their cameras caught on the same street. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
3/23/23 12:56 p.m.

Pilsen has had pretty decent car culture for as long as I can remember.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/23/23 1:12 p.m.

Opened this thread expecting to see the famous (or infamous) Chicago Cutlass. 

Was not disappointed when there was actually a non-rotted 1978-79 Cutlass coupe instead! Even has the same vinyl top! 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/23/23 1:18 p.m.
John Welsh said:

It would be interesting to go to Google Maps street view and see what their cameras caught on the same street. 

Look on Cullerton from Leavitt west - 1 block

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
3/23/23 2:19 p.m.

That 928 on 3 piece gold BBS is so damn cool!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/24/23 6:50 p.m.

that is a pre-87 saab. In 1987 they went with the "aero" flush lights and bumpers. Usually those cars rot from the inner front frame rails out. To judge by how high the front of the car is sitting, the rot is settled in quite well.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/24/23 7:04 p.m.

That 928 appears to be an s4. It has the face lift rear tail lights and wing. Highly fought that someone updated an older car as the fenders are different if I remember so updating an older car is really not practical.  And if that is an 87 and a manual that is a rare car. I had one and they are the unicorn of the 928. The lightest with the most HP and unique gearing if I remember. I will own another one some day. It was the fastest production car for a short time. 

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/24/23 8:19 p.m.

My sister parked her Jetta on the street in Chicago years ago.  The snow came and she saw the red car under the snow.  When it melted it was not hers.  It had been towed.  The bill was about what the car was worth.  My father was not pleased.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/24/23 8:24 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Everyone understands there are 2 Saabs parked across from each other?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/24/23 8:39 p.m.

I did look at SV.  At one point Saab guy had a different Saab model but we knew that already.  He's probably on Saab #25. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/24/23 8:53 p.m.

Maybe it had been raining alot and the streets were better??  Not to get off subject but the buildings/homes are way cool. And it is nice to see that they have been improved.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/24/23 9:13 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Almost - I'm headed to Racine, Wisconsin tomorrow and the northern suburbs are expecting 7"+ snow tomorrow?  

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/25/23 11:17 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Was not disappointed when there was actually a non-rotted 1978-79 Cutlass coupe instead! Even has the same vinyl top! 

That condtion was a common sight for me growing up in Michigan. "Rusty but trusty".

Road salt eats cars so damn fast you just give up after awhile. GM cars got ragged on for being rustier than Fords or Dodge, but they were 10 years older. The Fords and Chyslers had long since been scrapped while the GM stuff kept running.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/25/23 2:39 p.m.
914Driver said:

With the kinds of winters up there, how are they not gone back to the earth?!!

When you see cars like that in the land of salt, it is someone's baby. They probably spent a lot of money on it and aren't foolish enough to drive it in the winter.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/25/23 8:49 p.m.

nope, I missed that.  the silver one is rotting away from the inside out though.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/26/23 7:17 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I owned a Chevelle like that but it wasn't dented just rotted to the door handles. You could jack it up with the bumper and the body would lift and the tires would stay on the ground. I didn't own it long before I sold it.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/26/23 9:48 p.m.

I've only been in the area a few years, and I get the rust. I get the non-rusty summer car.  I can't understand the really clean year round non-special daily drivers.

This street view is from four years ago, but it looks basically the same. It moves around, avoiding plow and street sweeping days, but mostly it sits there. It's on a snow route too, so they're spreading snow day and night there. 

IRL, it's mostly shiny with some age in the trim, and a couple of small bubbles at the wheel wells, and the wheels look a little tired, but otherwise, it's pretty nice. 

How?

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/26/23 9:58 p.m.

IMO Is because it just sits there. Does not get driven through the salty slush that gets everywhere. Was the bubbles only on the driver side of the car? Cars driving by fling the slush on the driverside and the passenger side gets missed and stays "new"

Or he runs it though a car wash all the time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6TZnXkKXdFu4BGvCEooyitRhlf8R6YIJJzLgakmD3WtEdwsRwIBqtljNFxu6LCVn