1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/6/18 7:27 a.m.

I played in high school around 1983 or 4, and have had thoughts it would be fun to try again.  SWMBO's 14yr old daughter has gotten the bug with a friend and friend's dad, and seems to be an instant expert.  We're all going to Gatlinburg in October and the idea came up to make characters and a campaign we could play in our down time.

So immediately after the last autocross we went into Epic Loot in the mall and I bought the above supplies.  I'm going to be a monk, I forget what SWMBO is (some magic-type like I used to play), and the kiddo is making a character to add to the party.

Any other serious geek/nerd out there?  (I use both terms interchangeably and without malice.  I answer to either/both.)

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/6/18 7:38 a.m.

Played a LOT of D&D in HS/College.   Got 10 and 8 year old girls and am looking forward to being their DM at some point...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
8/6/18 7:42 a.m.

I didn't know that was still a thing...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/6/18 8:16 a.m.

been a LONG time since I played. I would say going on 20 years

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/6/18 8:17 a.m.

My wife plays, although her group typically uses Fate Core. I don’t have the attention span for table tops or co op board games even. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/18 8:25 a.m.
Klayfish said:

There are also some really wild board games at this point as well. 

I can't find the name of it now, but there is one $150 board game that is so popular it's almost always out of stock.

Or this $400 board game. https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/in-stock/products/kingdom-death-monster-1-5

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/6/18 8:32 a.m.

Played a ton throughout middle school, high school, and college.  DW played some in college.  I would play again if I had free time and I could find a fun group.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/6/18 8:33 a.m.
Klayfish said:

It is, so much so that my brother-in-law makes a living running games. Not a great living, but it pays the bills. Apparently people are willing to pay money to have someone run their games, they just show up and play.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/6/18 8:34 a.m.

D&D was a funny game to me.  One of the few times I really felt like an outsider- I watched others play it a few times, and not once did anyone ask if I wanted to play.

I even had a version given to me by an aunt.  

But I never once played it.  

That being said, it's not that surprising that it still exists, other than it being a board game instead of a computer game.  It *seemed* that the people playing it were having a good time.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/6/18 8:40 a.m.

I played a lot in HS and college. Now the problem is half the people I played with moved away decades ago, and coordinating with the other half on an even semi-regular basis is nearly impossible. We get together 1-2 times a year to play a modern boardgame or two over pizza and beer, but that's about it.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/6/18 8:55 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

There actually (add lisp) are several computerized versions of D&D dating from the 90's forward. The D&D engine was used most famously in Baldur'sGate I&II, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment. More recently it was used in Pillars of Eternity I&II as well as Torment: Tides of Numenera.

A lot of the core D&D components are hard to replicate online as the game is very open-ended and can be subject to the whims of the DM. It's been years since I played last.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/6/18 9:00 a.m.

I am a serious enough nerd to admit to playing D&D. I actually am DMing a campaign currently.

I played for the first time just over a year ago and got hooked.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/6/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I did get into Neverwinter Nights a handful of years ago (ok maybe late 90s).  I believe it was supposed to use the core AD&D rules?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/6/18 9:30 a.m.

I played in middle school (early mid eighties) but in HS there wasn't much interest in such things in the region I lived in.

Picked it up during Desert Storm and played a bit in the desert (lot of time to be bored in a war zone).  Haven't played it since, though lately we do a lot of Carcasonn, Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/6/18 9:56 a.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to The0retical :

I did get into Neverwinter Nights a handful of years ago (ok maybe late 90s).  I believe it was supposed to use the core AD&D rules?

I actually had to look it up. Neverwinter Nights used 3rd edition rules, BG1&2, IcewindDale, and Planescape used AD&D with a real-time modification apparently. 

So in theory Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 are as close as you can get to an online D&D experience. The core rules coupled with an open ended campaign system using a real DM was supposed to be the big draw of NWN but it never really delivered.

I think it's major issues were more a product of the state of broadband, along with the rise of the MMORPG, in the early '00's as D&D was riding high at the time.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
8/6/18 9:58 a.m.

A friend of mine talked me into joining a group about a year ago. He had a new neighbor move in who used to DM with a bunch of folks in his old town. Rallied a core group of 6 of us to start back up. We all went in with some hesitation but it's been a blast. Try to get together like every 2 or 3 weeks for the most part. Even keep a blog page on it to read session re-caps the DM puts together https://ddnorth30.blogspot.com/ 

codrus
codrus UltraDork
8/6/18 10:45 a.m.

I've played a fair bit of D&D, although my core interest was always more in the tactical board games.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/6/18 10:55 a.m.

I have been playing for like 5 or 6 years. Before kids it was weekly, now it is barely once a month but it is a lot of fun. I am DMing a homebrew campaign at the moment. Feel free to ask what you need. I recommend reddit's DnD subreddits. Lots of good questions and answers there. There is also a DM specific one that I find useful. 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
8/6/18 11:05 a.m.

I always wanted to play, but I never really knew anyone that played. There was a small group in high school, but I wasn't nerdy enough for them I guess. 

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
8/6/18 12:35 p.m.

On the new TBD network there are some shows about role playing board games.  Kind of fun to watch, Will Wheaton hosts some of them.  I've never played, like others have mentioned too short of attention span.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
8/6/18 12:49 p.m.

I just KNEW that this place was full of my people.

Currently DM-ing a game with a bunch of first timers. Unfortunately we can't get together as often as I'd like. Someone always has a sick kid or some other obligation... Something like once a month or less. Still fun though. It is a good group. Last group I played with had some serious flakes and a world class douche, so I don't play with them anymore.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/6/18 1:33 p.m.

I tryed to play it after I got into world of Warcraft, but the group I found wasn't fond of adding a newbie so I went back to online gaming. It's always interested me.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/6/18 1:42 p.m.

Sunday morning she texted me to bring my carpet cleaner machine, her washing machine hose had broken and needed help sucking up the water.  Brought it and two box fans.  Before I left I had the kiddo help me get teh character started.  Bonus geek points if you recognize the character image. cool

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/6/18 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Chirrut Îmwe

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
8/6/18 1:54 p.m.

I played for a while in middle school in the early 80's, still  have all of my "stuff" but have not played in a long time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PWvoGZviF6zKon8TwGvQjDManIVGUxi1x1OM2ijzIPMRrQ8VB1gBoMiwBOzLwBos