1 2 3 4 5
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/7/22 4:24 p.m.

deleted previous post since the canoe was sunk

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/7/22 4:36 p.m.

Sent mine just now. Thanks a million for doing all this. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/7/22 4:55 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

PM'd you.

Will you be cool if I tack on an additional ~$15 USD so you can go buy you and a friend a beer to thank you? Never mind. Doesn't matter. I'll send the extra money and you can feel free to use your discretion.

I'm not sure if I got your PM or not, but I've been sending replies so let me know if you didn't get one ;)

and I 100% promise to buy a beer.  Maybe I'll bring one out to the Mayor as well for spearheading this effort!  Thank you, sir!

3/7/22 5:00 p.m.

Contact has been established directly between myself and the Mayor.  I sent him the link to this thread and let him know how things were progressing.  Here was his reply:

Dear Bill,

This is amazing how our small project from a tiny Hungarian village went overseas. Your kind attention and support are well appreciated. Since I am a big fun of old-timer cars, and I own one 46 years old car Daimler Double Six, I can relate and understand the power of your community.

You can visit us any time during the second part of this week. By that time, I am sure we can show you remarkable progress and we will also have more information about future requirements of this effort. In case you have any day in mind regarding your visit, please let me know in advance, so I can inform you if I am available on that day.

We are planning to establish the refugee shelter by the end of the week and bringing refugees to Kisgrörbő during the coming weekend. We are not sure which day, since everything is on the move now, thanks to donations and volunteer support that we already received.

You are right, this is not going to be a "one and done" effort but a long-term endeavor that will require continuous support from our small community in Kisgörbő. Any volunteer support will be also well appreciated.

In case you want, please join our Facebook group where you can follow our project. ‘Menekültekért Zalában’.

Thank you for your great support again. I hope we can meet soon.

Gabor Kozma, mayor

We are now working to schedule the visit wink

Cheers guys!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/7/22 6:40 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Since I am a big fun of old-timer cars, and I own one 46 years old car Daimler Double Six, I can relate and understand the power of your community.

Gabor Kozma, mayor

Hopefully, someday when the world returns to normal he can join us here on the forum.  smiley

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/7/22 10:53 p.m.

Fantastic effort sir

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
3/8/22 1:28 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Since I am a big fun of old-timer cars, and I own one 46 years old car Daimler Double Six, I can relate and understand the power of your community.

Gabor Kozma, mayor

Hopefully, someday when the world returns to normal he can join us here on the forum.  smiley

Woah, those are good looking cars!

Margie, can I sponsor a CM subscription for that guy?

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/8/22 2:10 a.m.

Sent mine as well earlier today, thanks for organizing this!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
3/8/22 9:36 a.m.

That's really interesting. I didn't know that Jaguar co-branded the XJ series. That is really cool. Tell Gabor that he has great taste in cars. A picture for those who don't know. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/22 10:17 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Yeah I think in many places (other than USA) the "vanden plas" was the Daimler.

So it was like a higher trim level, like Toyota/Lexus or something.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/8/22 10:48 a.m.

Bill, it's an honor to share the planet with you.

3/8/22 12:05 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Bill, it's an honor to share the planet with you.

Man, I really do appreciate the kind words but for me it goes 100% the other way and I'm eternally grateful you guys let me hang around  (I still have no idea what possessed you lot to let riff-raff like myself in).  We're all bricks in the same GRM bridge that's getting these funds to where they need to go, and I'm glad you guys let me be a part of it.

Also.  I have no idea what the proper term for a "dork bridge" is, but the meme fits.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/8/22 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

It's simple, Bill. The internet is full of people picking from "wow that stinks", "If I were in charge...", "Politician XYZ is an idiot, politician ABC is so much better...", "who cares, here's a picture of my food" and you are: A hostile force is attacking a neighboring country, let me start handling the refugee crises in my town with my circle, contact the mayor and work out how I can best help these people who desperately need help. I don't care what language they speak or what they look like. They are people, and they need help.

For that, Sir, you are a man to be admired and applauded.

3/8/22 12:50 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Thank you.

3/8/22 12:53 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
stuart in mn said:

Gabor Kozma, mayor

I have a mail forwarding address for magazines and the like (sorry, no t-shirts) that forwards from Seattle, Wa.  The only catch is, the mail needs to be in my name.

If you get the mail that far, I can get it the rest of the way.  devil

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/8/22 2:30 p.m.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/8/22 2:44 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
stuart in mn said:

Gabor Kozma, mayor

I have a mail forwarding address for magazines and the like (sorry, no t-shirts) that forwards from Seattle, Wa.  The only catch is, the mail needs to be in my name.

That sounds like a great idea. Bill, I know I have your info somewhere, but would you mind shooting me a PM or email (it's just my name at either magazine.com) with your details--and to remind me to get that set up?

Margie

3/8/22 2:54 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
WonkoTheSane said:
stuart in mn said:

Gabor Kozma, mayor

That sounds like a great idea. Bill, I know I have your info somewhere, but would you mind shooting me a PM or email (it's just my name at either magazine.com) with your details--and to remind me to get that set up?

Margie

This has me more excited than it has any right to laugh

Done and done.  I've sent the info through the forum's PM system.  Please let me know if you didn't get it, and I will try one of the other channels you've mentioned.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
3/8/22 4:54 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Margie

This has me more excited than it has any right to laugh

Done and done.  I've sent the info through the forum's PM system.  Please let me know if you didn't get it, and I will try one of the other channels you've mentioned.

Margie, I'm going to send you a PM as well, because I really did mean that I'd be happy to cover it.   I'm just putting this here in case it doesn't got through, please reach out.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/8/22 11:18 p.m.

This is grassroots efforts.  You are all part of folks trying hard to do the right thing.  Proud of you.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
3/8/22 11:36 p.m.

Money sent (from a vt email).  I liked the +$15 idea for a cold beer or three for the people that need to destress going through all that, so included that as well.  But use it however it would do the most good. 

Thanks for helping.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/9/22 10:50 a.m.

This whole thread is amazeballs.  I love you people.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
3/9/22 11:20 a.m.

Bill, you are beyond amazing.

<3

Sent some more cash.

3/9/22 11:56 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

This whole thread is amazeballs.  I love you people.

84FSP said:

This is grassroots efforts.  You are all part of folks trying hard to do the right thing.  Proud of you.

I just checked the Paypal account:  We're just shy of 2-million Hungarian forint ($5900.00).  I don't know how to put this into perspective, but that's what I paid for the lowest mileage Mazda RX8 that I could find listed in the entire country (20,000miles on a 2004 model).

Bad example, I know.  But the point is you guys have made a ridonkulous showing of this.  Tomorrow I'm going to update the mayor and let him know to keep an eye out for a fat lotta cash.  yes

Or buy another low mileage RX8... 

Probably the RX8. devil

3/9/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w and Flynlow :

Got it!  Thank you both!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XoGT8GbqaThrwp1D6bHLFx7OTb9tB7h1VD9EI3uxAfvLyfHt7AhdJgHYR36pPBMH