VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/18/23 9:43 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

I saw this and didn't know where else to post it.

https://twitter.com/WJakubenko/status/1658320133851324416

We've helped Dnipro firefighters in the past and have the ability to do so again if there was enough interest.  Gloves, boots, and who knows what else we could scrounge up for them that would be useful.

That is all.

next time if someone being complains about how hard papers-work in the office is, just let them look at these pictures

Unfortunately now these guys have TOO MUCH work to do - that's true.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/18/23 9:59 a.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to DarkMonohue :

22 on the dial means 44 tics. You can count them if you like, but it is just like a tape measure. 12 on a tape measure is 12 inches, even when it is marked in 1/16ths. For quick reference, you go 10 tics on that dial to get from 20 to 25.

Edit: the dial in the photo shows .021 inches, which is about .53mm.

Got it, and thanks for the clarification!

Confirming this, I did drop the flywheel off at a machinist today and they did take the outside edge down, giving us a "step" of .6mm.  Honestly, it's not much different than it was before vs after.  I'm not worried as all it cost me was $11.50 and it took less than 2-hours to get it through the workflow.  We'll see how it performs when it's back in the truck.

And again, failing that I'm just going to go full RockAuto on it...  I can never have too many spares laying around devil

good times.

5/18/23 10:02 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

As VikkiDp said:  Looks awesome!

I can get you prices on formula from my local markets if you wanted to try to shop here.  You might be able to save money with the exchange rate, just let me know.

5/18/23 3:21 p.m.

Re: MT90 Transmission oil

I ordered through a Polish vendor (and ordered a liter of GL5 75w90 for the differentials, just in case) but in my searches I did attempt to purchase from a German vendor.  Specifically www.atomic-shop.eu

The process involved sending a quote to my e-mail account, and by then I had already purchased from the Polish vendor and was 100% ready to ignore when I saw that the German vendor had a Ukrainian branch.

I decided to respond to the e-mail and request a quote for 4ea quarts of MT90, and mentioned the vehicle that the oil was going into and the work it does.  I told them that if that information was of any use to their Ukrainian branch to let me know and I would take care of the rest.

Their response was to offer me a 25% discount, which I accepted, and 4qts of MT90 are headed this way at 20-euro a quart (25 euro shipping)!

I'll keep the Polish stuff on the shelf, put the German stuff in the trans and tx case, and have enough left over for any future shenanigans we might run into!

So if you find yourselves in Europe and needing Redline Oil, they're in Nurburg, Germany and their prices are great (even without the discount)

5/18/23 3:57 p.m.

you guys wont believe this.  I tried to translate "Bad Ass" into Ukrainian for another thread and you'll never believe what I got for a result...

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
5/18/23 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/18/23 5:30 p.m.

Here's what I got for Ira:

All told, they'll get possibly a thousand crayons, a few hundred colored pencils, few hundred normal sized pencils, 32x thicker pencils for small children, 8x hand sized sharpeners, 100x markers, and the roll of paper.

For the sidewalk chalk, it's y'all's call on how much you desire. I have a total of 300+ spread across 9 containers, so it's up to you how you wanna split things up.

I also got a few toys; for some reason I couldn't shake Timur and his story out of my head. Of course you guys will decide who needs what, but I snagged plenty of cars and matchbox ones as well. I didn't find any more formula so that'll likely come down to what I could buy for someone locally. Either way, I think what I can get Ira is complete and I can ship it tomorrow if I can find a good enough box.

5/18/23 5:55 p.m.

wooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  are you kidding me????  That is amazing!!!!!

Holy smokes, man.  I don't even know what to say!

Thank you!!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/19/23 6:24 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Ohhh, man!!! Wow-wow-wooowww!!!! That's absolutely GREAT!!! heart

Ira will be VERY happy - for sure!!! smiley

And of course we will make sure that Timur gets these cars - I think he will be very happy heart

Thank you so much!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/19/23 6:32 a.m.

you guys wont believe this.  I tried to translate "Bad Ass" into Ukrainian for another thread and you'll never believe what I got for a result...

You made me laughing out loudly cheeky

But there are THREE!!! bad asses in this picture cheeky another one was taking this picture at the same time wink

Thank you Bill!!!

5/22/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

hahahaha.  I'm glad you like it.  I was a bit bored on Friday cheeky

Ok!  So I have our weekly update.  Not much has changed:

In local news, I've sent a message to Miroslav asking if he wanted to try to collect donations.  He's already mentioned that he wants to bring his Toyota Landcruiser along (it also participated in the Bamako Rallye) and I'm going to suggest he collect diapers, baby formula, and baby clothes (from newborn, on up)

I've also heard back from the Yeti on our sister forum who is holding the raffle.  As I suspected, he has been a bit overwhelmed lately (he's a grad student) but says he should have the winners of our raffle picked by the end of the week.  I did post the above spreadsheet in the thread over there and did prime the members for the chest vents and decompression needles, so hopefully we get a good turnout from that.

I'm making (slow) progress with the truck, but should have an update in the next day or so.  Today was kind of a "meh" day and all I got was the clutch and flywheel installed.  (what can I say?).  Next Monday will be a holiday here, so I might not have our next excel update until Tuesday of next week.

Good times!

5/23/23 3:28 p.m.

Ok, baby steps:

First, I finally got a new battery for the truck.  The old Exide unit was darn good, and held up through probably the most abuse I've ever put a car battery through, but it was leaking out the vents sometimes, showing as "dead cell" or "weak battery" on the smart charger, and anything more than just a couple cranks (like if I left the lights on for 5 minutes) would kill it dead enough to not be able to turn the starter.

SO!

I really wanted a non-spillable deep cell battery or what this truck does.  I've never been subject to the bad press that I see on the internet regarding Optima, so that's what I saved my pennies for.  I ordered it from Germany earlier this month:

That is one shiny new thing in a very dirty engine bay...

Next up was that transmission.  I smashed the heck out of my finger loading it on to my little lift (which isn't tall enough for this sort of stuff) but did get the transmission, transfer case, and cross member installed today

I'm hoping to have the starter, drive shafts, and slave cylinder installed tomorrow.  After that, I'm going to go after those rear brakes before I go out for a test drive.

In other good news, the Polish shipment of transmission oil arrived!

I know it's pedantic, but I won't be putting this oil in the truck (if I can help it).  Atomic-shop.eu gave me that discount because of the work the truck does, and it's important to me that I put their oil in there.  Hopefully that will arrive before this weekend because we have a birthday party scheduled at our house and I need to move the truck cheeky

Good times.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/23/23 3:36 p.m.

+1 on waiting for different bottles of oil.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/23/23 4:29 p.m.

Hi everyone smiley

we have some good news!!!

The first - 3th order of UV lamps paid and delivered to the prenatal center (i'm waiting for photo from them) yes

the second one - i met a new family with baby-boy from Bakhmut and,of course, i asked if they needed help, i bought baby food and diapers - they were so glad and thankful heart

The next one - Do you remember that Bill and i sent a big plush toy as a gift to the baby-boy (his birthday was April 30th - he turned 1 yo)?

One of the babies turns one year old on May 31th, I thought it would be nice to give her her first birthday present smiley

It sounds awful, but these are children who were born during the war angry

So the gift and some baby food are already on the way wink

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/23/23 4:33 p.m.

Report update smiley

Thanks everyone for your help and support heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/23/23 4:42 p.m.

Ok, baby steps:

Great work done - baby steps lead to great results yes

we have a birthday party scheduled at our house

Ha, we talked about Birthdays in the posts above laugh Who has a birthday? angel

5/24/23 12:59 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

Alex (The eldest Hungarling) has a birthday.  We've combined it with a friend's birthday and are having the party at our house.  It's going to be awesome

Vikki, you do Amazing work.  I can not wait to see the pictures of the birthday boy (and of the UV lamps wink )

5/24/23 1:43 p.m.

Alrighty, on the truck front I hit all the zerk fittings (slip joints, and universal joints) with Lukas "Red and Tacky" and got everything stuffed back underneath the truck!

The only hangup was I didn't remove the started completely from the engine bay.  In the process of removing and reinstalling the transmission and transfer case the engine got shifted around and the starter got pinched between the frame and the oil pressure sending unit.  It looked bad, but later I found out it was just rubber that was deformed and the pinch point was actually the starter stuck between the bellhousing and frame.

I think I dodged a bullet on that one.  (see:  Un-crunched oil sending unit, below)

No op-check yet as I ran out of time and didn't get to the back brakes.  Tomorrow is loaded up with morning appointments and whatnot, so I probably wont be able to get to it until friday...

Re:  MatthewMCL, 100% waiting on German oils.  A minor setback as it's easier for me to top-fill the trans and tx case (and I already have that back together, in the spirit of completion), but I have one of those bottle pumps so it's not anything I really need to worry about.

All good times.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/24/23 3:49 p.m.

Ha-ha, here you go!!!smiley

News from the prenatal center!!!

the third order of the UV lamps - 1ea small and 1 ea large - done!!! thanks WonkoTheSane heart

The microscope that we brought in - set up and working!!! 

the doctor who received this device is a dermatologist - she uses it to diagnose not only babies and mothers, but also older children in the children hospital - so this way more kids can get medical care!!! I think it's GREAT!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/24/23 3:57 p.m.

Alex (The eldest Hungarling) has a birthday.  We've combined it with a friend's birthday and are having the party at our house.  It's going to be awesome

Wooowww!!! it's going to be a GREAT party!!!

I can not wait to see the pictures of the birthday boy

it's a baby girl wink, but photos will be sure to be smiley

her first birthday present

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/26/23 2:30 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

News from the prenatal center!!!

the third order of the UV lamps - 1ea small and 1 ea large - done!!! thanks WonkoTheSane heart

Hi everyone!!!

I have something to add to that smiley  the lamps in operation yes

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/26/23 2:34 p.m.

I also found a family from Donbass region - they have baby boy 2 yo and this mom is pregnant with her second baby - i'm going to add them to our kids list smiley

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/26/23 3:44 p.m.

Hey Bill, do you want me to try separating out Ira's shipment from the rest of the donations, or lump it all into one big shipment? The latter I think will easily cost half of what sending separate packages would be.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/27/23 3:01 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

One of the babies turns one year old on May 31th, I thought it would be nice to give her her first birthday present smiley

So the gift and some baby food are already on the way wink

Hi everyone!!!

This baby-girl got her B-day gift smiley

They unpacked it a little early. She loved it so much!!!

Absolutely GREAT!!! Thank you all!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
5/27/23 3:21 p.m.

Messages from her mom smiley

- Translation -

Vika, good evening. We received the packages. Thank you very much for the gifts. We will eat and have good mood. 

Lego is so interesting, we were assembling it with great pleasure.

She drank the juice with such a pleasure and now she's so happy to playing.

When i was unpacking the packages she grabbed every things at once. We were laughing so hard - she knew it was all for her!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HfXrm7jXTQUkUh8jekc2VNNTYT3OEqmR4AEWJ5x0oacuP3b6Lcghn29R0WQC0ceM