Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/30/23 11:42 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Hey Bill, do you want me to try separating out Ira's shipment from the rest of the donations, or lump it all into one big shipment? The latter I think will easily cost half of what sending separate packages would be.

No, man.  Just lump it all in and save the money.  I can sort it when it gets here  laugh

5/30/23 12:03 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

I am LOVING these updates!!!!  That little girl looks so happy, it really made my day!

5/30/23 12:06 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

I also found a family from Donbass region - they have baby boy 2 yo and this mom is pregnant with her second baby - i'm going to add them to our kids list smiley

Welcome to the family!  We'll see you in August! laugh

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
5/30/23 12:16 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Hey Bill, do you want me to try separating out Ira's shipment from the rest of the donations, or lump it all into one big shipment? The latter I think will easily cost half of what sending separate packages would be.

No, man.  Just lump it all in and save the money.  I can sort it when it gets here

Okay! I'll make one more run for things tomorrow- the shop had tons of blankets, throws and some stuffies- and it'll be on the way before friday! I'll have a devider of some kind in it.

Also, I've added easily 20+ more earbuds to it. Ya'll should have a set or two of cheap earbuds or headphones for every pack.

5/30/23 1:21 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Dude, that is stinking amazing!!!!  I can not wait to see what you got packed and can not thank you enough!

5/30/23 2:15 p.m.

Ok, everyone.  Hope you enjoyed the long weekend (I sure did).  Here's our Monday morning (er... Tuesday?) update.

We're just over half-way to our 500,000 forint goal for our Kisgorbo shelter.  We still have a few days though, and I know the end of the month is payday for a lot of people (myself included).

Let's see... what else do we have going on?  Communication with Miroslav is slow, but he has confirmed that he will be able to drive his Landcruiser into the country on the next run.  He's got the date, and I need to ask him again about donations as that kind of got lost in the scheduling.

Truck is good.  I got the fluids on Friday from Atomic-Shop, so I got those poured in to the transmission and transfer case:

I did not however, get around to doing those back brakes.  I simply wound back the adjuster on the drum I had off and put everything back together.  I forgot how squishy that makes the brake pedal, but I was only doing a 3-point turn to get her parked next to the shed for the party (which went well.  Some Hungarian friends have a same-aged daughter who has a birthday the day before our kiddo.  They couldn't find a place to have her party due to a family emergency.  We combined both into one big fest and issued everyone nerf guns for a battle that went on for hours)

Anyhoo

so yeah, the truck is on all fours but I probably wont be able to get to it this week.  I spent the remainder of last weekend picking and canning strawberries and now the grass at our under construction house is waist high surprise

No rush though

As you probably saw, Girthquake is about ready to ship his box.  I'm super stoked about that!  We still have 84FSP flying over for work in the next month or so, and he might be able to hand carry any other items we wanted to send.

While all this was going on, I've been working in the background trying to get a page created on facebook for the truck and our efforts:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/510575651154518/  I think I've got it mostly complete and up to date.  I'm trying to use this FB account as a more "chronological" social media outlet (compared to instagram) as FB gives us a bit more of an opportunity to describe what's going on in the pictures (but still, nowhere near as complete as this thread).  If you were on FB and wanted to follow along, that would be super cool.  Please be sure to share it with everyone and their dog because... (see, next topic)

I'm just about done with putting together the next GoFundMe.  I'll share the link on here, on instagram, and on facebook once it's done.  As previously stated, this is a pretty ambitious drive and donor fatigue is a very real thing (hell, just "fatigue" in general!  my butt is dragging, these days).  I'd really like to get as many eyes on this as possible, and it also gives you an opportunity to show what you've all been doing this past almost year and a half.

Speaking of "almost a year and a half" This will also be the 1-year anniversary of our first drive to Dnipro!  Unfortunately it was a terror strike in VikkiDp's area that pushed us so far into the country, and it's again a terror strike that's pushing forward our donation drive this year.  Over the weekend a hospital was hit by a russian missile.  Over 20-people are reported injured and at least one is reported dead.  There's a (99% safe) video you can watch here (blood and faces are blurred.  No dead bodies shown or anything):

I can not tell you how completely stopped my heart was between the moment I got the word that a hospital was hit, and the hours it took to receive the reply from VikkiDp that it wasn't one of the ones in our Children's complex.  Never in my life did I ever think I'd live in the world where it was possible that a children's hospital would be targeted in a terror strike by a professional military, who was fighting another professional military.

I digress.  I've been doing social media work all day so in that spirit, here's our instagram link as well (just in case you didn't have it):  https://www.instagram.com/dniproexpress/

5/30/23 3:00 p.m.

wow.  GFM didn't waste any time!  I submitted and it was approved immediately (that's never happened before)

Here's our link guys:  https://gofund.me/554d0682

We're off an runnin!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/31/23 12:49 p.m.

We are discussing things at the brewery regarding some charity donations. Next week, we're kegging out a Baltic Porter that we've named "Ghost Camaro". I've told everyone I'd like if we can use the opportunity to make a donation.

We're a small brewery, so we probably can't donate a bunch, but I think I've talked the owner into a couple hundred on behalf of the brewery, and we can probably put out cards or table tents with a QR code for patrons to be able to make donations.

Any special suggestions or requests on how best we can do this?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
5/31/23 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

It might be easier to do something more like our favorite local brewery. They have 'community pint night' advertised twice a month where they donate 10% of the days sales to said charity. Typically the charity is on-site during the advertised time. The dog rescues bringing in dogs is always a hit. That part may be a bit harder with Bill, but printing out fliers with some basic description/details (including GFM info) and some of his pics might still be possible too.

5/31/23 2:10 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

We are discussing things at the brewery regarding some charity donations. Next week, we're kegging out a Baltic Porter that we've named "Ghost Camaro". I've told everyone I'd like if we can use the opportunity to make a donation.

We're a small brewery, so we probably can't donate a bunch, but I think I've talked the owner into a couple hundred on behalf of the brewery, and we can probably put out cards or table tents with a QR code for patrons to be able to make donations.

Any special suggestions or requests on how best we can do this?

Dude, that is awesome!   I remember you mentioning the Baltic Porter earlier in the thread, I'm stoked it's going to keg!!!

SoI don't have any suggestions on how to best to make donations (a bit outside of my expertise), but I'm happy to work anything on my end that would help make it easier for you on yours.   If you need photos, questions answered, links to social media, etc, just let me know.

But if this goes to bottle, could I go on record saying I would love to order a couple from you and would pay whatever it costs to ship?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/31/23 2:45 p.m.

But if this goes to bottle, could I go on record saying I would love to order a couple from you and would pay whatever it costs to ship?

As much as I would love to, that's unfortunately not going to happen. Certainly not this year. We do very limited canning of very targeted brands, and a baltic porter is just not going to be a natural mover. It'll fill the niche of a dark beer for summer... and because I wanted to brew it.

I'm assuming that Go Fund Me is the current best way to funnel you money.

5/31/23 3:02 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

As much as I would love to, that's unfortunately not going to happen. Certainly not this year. We do very limited canning of very targeted brands, and a baltic porter is just not going to be a natural mover. It'll fill the niche of a dark beer for summer... and because I wanted to brew it.

I'm assuming that Go Fund Me is the current best way to funnel you money.

I 100% understand.

GoFundMe is the best or this sort of thing, I think.  yes. 

The Paypal is more direct and efficient, but it can't provide the accountability I think something like this deserves (where your customers can see that the money went where you said it would)

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
5/31/23 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

A picture of Hungary Bill and his humanitarian effort, along with a tie in to the ghost camaro legacy should get a dollar or two at the unveiling. I would certainly pay to raise a toast in his honor

6/1/23 10:26 a.m.

In the spirit of trying to get word out about the next run, my second favorite podcast (and first favorite radio show) from Seattle was doing a segment on "Person, Place, or Thing.  Why did it get the nickname it got?"

I wrote a quick e-mail before work and sent it off and they read it on the air!  (skip to the 7:25 mark)

https://www.stitcher.com/show/mens-room-podcast-podcast-999-kisw-the-rock-of-seattle/episode/seg-3-selfies-duis-and-ruthless-passengers-303928557

It was a shameless plug, but a lot of people in the Seattle area listen to that show and I'm hoping one or two of them will trickle in to our little fundraiser. 

Going back to address that first sentence in this post, I'd like to point out that of course our very  own GRM member "Mental" has a podcast that was listening to a lot back when the prep was happening for Christmas and Bamako.  His podcast "Everyone Racers" needs to be listed as my favorite (and they 100% promoted our Christmas drive).

Good times.  But unfortunately no work on the truck.  Instead it was "day 2" of mowing my knee-high grass in my garden...  Fun stuff

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/1/23 12:48 p.m.

I'm trying, and failing, to get it all shoved into one box laugh That plastic bag is ~20 teddy bears alone lol

Hopefully today or tomorrow!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/1/23 2:43 p.m.

I've been working in the background trying to get a page created on facebook for the truck and our efforts:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/510575651154518/  I think I've got it mostly complete and up to date.  I'm trying to use this FB account as a more "chronological" social media outlet (compared to instagram) as FB gives us a bit more of an opportunity to describe what's going on in the pictures (but still, nowhere near as complete as this thread). 

Wooowww!!! Man, incredibly GREAT and HUGE work you did!!! I'm glad the truck and the runs have personally page on FB yes 

But to put together all the things and all the efforts what we have all done in the meantime it seems like an impossible mission.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/1/23 2:48 p.m.

I spent the remainder of last weekend picking and canning strawberries

What? What did you do? Oh, man, you really surprised me laugh

Is there anything you can't do? blush

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/1/23 2:55 p.m.

Over 20-people are reported injured and at least one is reported dead. 

Unfortunately in the end 32 people are injured and 4 dead

There was a veterinary clinic next to this hospital, which was also very damaged

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/1/23 2:59 p.m.

wow.  GFM didn't waste any time!  I submitted and it was approved immediately (that's never happened before)

Here's our link guys:  https://gofund.me/554d0682

We're off an runnin!

So, preparations for the fourth run to Dnipro have officially begun!!!

Cheers everyone!!!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/23 3:15 p.m.

I 100% understand.

GoFundMe is the best or this sort of thing, I think.  yes. 

The Paypal is more direct and efficient, but it can't provide the accountability I think something like this deserves (where your customers can see that the money went where you said it would)

Will talk through full details with the bar manager tomorrow and Monday.

What I think we're going to do is an option during happy hour that bartenders will ask patrons, "Instead of $1 off your beer, would you like to donate that to charity. It will be sent to provide aid for [a prenatal hospital in Ukraine]." And have a flyer they can point to. Then we'll put a "$1 Charity" button in their register.

This also means a patron can just... slap a couple extra bucks to charity onto their tab whenever. But Charity Happy Hours tend to play well with people, and they usually prefer the idea of giving $1 to charity with every beer.

We'll tab things up at the end of the [week/2 weeks/month] and just use a company card in the amount we've raised.

I'll message you directly for verbiage and photos that would be good.

And even though we're not packaging any, I can probably go ahead and just hand pull a couple 22oz bottles to send your way.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
6/1/23 3:16 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I'm trying, and failing, to get it all shoved into one box laugh That plastic bag is ~20 teddy bears alone lol

This is AMAZINGLY GREAT!!! heart

Thank you so much!!!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
6/1/23 9:01 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Your donations have already got Ukraine heart and i'm starting to work on buying and delivering the lamps yes

Thank you so much!!!

That's awesome! it was great to see them mounted and in operation :). Thanks for all the work you do!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/2/23 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

That shout out was fantastic sir!  Hungary Bill, International Man Of Mystery...

6/2/23 9:11 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

20-ton press!!!  laugh

I can not believe how much stuff you got there!!!

6/2/23 9:13 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

I've been working in the background trying to get a page created on facebook for the truck and our efforts:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/510575651154518/  I think I've got it mostly complete and up to date.  I'm trying to use this FB account as a more "chronological" social media outlet (compared to instagram) as FB gives us a bit more of an opportunity to describe what's going on in the pictures (but still, nowhere near as complete as this thread). 

Wooowww!!! Man, incredibly GREAT and HUGE work you did!!! I'm glad the truck and the runs have personally page on FB yes 

But to put together all the things and all the efforts what we have all done in the meantime it seems like an impossible mission.

You're not kidding.  This thread is the only place, I think, that really captures all that happens in the background.  FB and Instagram are nice to toss a picture up onto every once in a while, but it really misses all the work that goes on in the background to make this happen (see:  Girthquake's latest shipment, for example)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zXhvfjoKjHv3QThDtSaoMALcSWL6TZTO6vMb5pZyBe44DMgaqzJHSHhMq21NUihC