1 2
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/8/22 9:08 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I remember Islip from watching ABC's wide world of sports in the 70's.  They'd run figure 8 and a demolition derby.  Good fun.

I only remember it aurally since I wasn't allowed to go when I was a kid. I could hear it from my home in Bay Shore.

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
6/8/22 9:15 p.m.

Modoc:

Modoc

johndej
johndej Dork
6/8/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Trenton gave ya a nice kink to the right https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenton_Speedway

johndej
johndej Dork
6/8/22 10:15 p.m.

Another bean shaped one with some of the steepest banks built over in Spain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aut%C3%B3dromo_de_Sitges-Terramar

​​​​​

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/22 9:24 a.m.

Well taking the kidney bean shape to extreme, how did we forget the original famous Avus track.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/10/22 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I really want to go see British stock cars.  I already wanted to go see a NASCAR race and a truck race, now them.  I need more vacation time. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/10/22 6:46 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

I tried answering but the messenger keeps coming bavk undeliverable.  I remember the website, I checked it out when I moved away to follow racing down there.  

When I lived on the Island I was helping on Glenn Sullivan's Busch North car and a couple guys hung out with us that I went with on our off weekends. Jac Handley with a Blunderbust and a guy named John with a Charger.   

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/13/22 11:22 a.m.

Today's unique oval.

The Dome at America's Center in St. Louis - the Gateway Dirt Nationals in December.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
6/13/22 8:47 p.m.

I follow Kenny Wallace on Twitter and that looked like so much fun. I'm trying to work out my vacation time to either go there or the Cup race in LA next winter. 

J.A. Ackley
6/14/22 7:35 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I follow Kenny Wallace on Twitter and that looked like so much fun. I'm trying to work out my vacation time to either go there or the Cup race in LA next winter. 

I went to the first one - it was a blast. Only a few other events match the atmosphere experienced at The Dome.

P.S. - Awesome about your background. I remember Jack Handley quite well. I also worked on the No. 93 late model raced by Walt DeMorris in the early 2000s.

J.A. Ackley
6/16/22 11:15 a.m.

Today's unique oval - Oakland Stadium (1946-1955), with a whopping 62 degrees of banking.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wr8lR4gjP2GRPvCtw0AX28Oy1TDljKSHSSrG4QZEBNzgl658CktMMNPkFYGelH2E