1 2
chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/18/18 8:18 a.m.

I much prefer the old Southwest system to anything else.

They opened the door, rang the bell, and you went down the jetbridge, looked out at 150 empty business-class seats, and chose one. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/18/18 8:49 a.m.

Sounds like it was a clever way to make priority boarding even nicer while keeping the boarding experience for everyone else the same at best.

If you're flying carry-on-only because you need to make a fast transfer, sometimes you have to pay for priority boarding to avoid having your carry-on checked when they run out of in-cabin cargo space.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/18/18 8:52 a.m.
Appleseed said:

You could be doing it by boat or train. Or DC-3.

I've flown on a few DC-3s. It was like a military plane or something the interior was so bare bones; I loved it but it was very noisy. And did you know airplanes have a horn? No joke, our pilot on one flight was tired of waiting for the other plane on the runway to take off, and he honked his horn at the other plane. The other plane took off and then we taxied into place and took off too. That was in Honduras, flying the national airline back in the late 80s.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/18/18 10:15 a.m.
Klayfish said:

For an airplane, start at the back and work your way forward.  So row 30 boards first (or whatever the last row is), window seats first, then middle, then aisle.  Then 29, 28, etc...  If everyone is lined up like that before boarding, it can go really fast. 

Read the link I provided. That's not the fastest way to load. There have been a number of really interesting studies on this, but they require a lot of control over the behavior of each individual, so families get broken up and special people don't get treated as special so the public wouldn't go for it.

Disney IS really good at dealing with crowds, which is why it's funny that the Orlando airport is such a mess.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
9/18/18 10:45 a.m.

All the more reasons why we love to hop in our own car and DRIVE there. smiley

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/18/18 11:30 a.m.
Danny Shields said:

I'm still not exactly sure where my drive/fly threshold is, but it's over 2000 miles.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
9/18/18 12:07 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Danny Shields said:

I'm still not exactly sure where my drive/fly threshold is, but it's over 2000 miles.

or large bodies of water like oceans.  Just booked our Christmas trip to Maui for the whole family.  We'll have a 2-year old and a 4-month old.  We'll be "those" people and we're sorry but we need to get away, so take the aspirin and ear plugs we're handing out and think about enjoying your time in Hawaii like the rest of us.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
9/18/18 12:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Klayfish said:

For an airplane, start at the back and work your way forward.  So row 30 boards first (or whatever the last row is), window seats first, then middle, then aisle.  Then 29, 28, etc...  If everyone is lined up like that before boarding, it can go really fast. 

Read the link I provided. That's not the fastest way to load. There have been a number of really interesting studies on this, but they require a lot of control over the behavior of each individual, so families get broken up and special people don't get treated as special so the public wouldn't go for it.

Disney IS really good at dealing with crowds, which is why it's funny that the Orlando airport is such a mess.

That's because Disney doesn't own or manage it.  Yet.  I think they did have a helicopter shuttle briefly in DisneyLand, but it didn't go well, similar to the one Pan-Am had in NYC.  Since Disney has cruise and bus lines, I'm honestly surprised they haven't started their own airline.  Then again Hooters did and that didn't exactly do well.  So maybe "themed" air travel isn't such a good option.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/18/18 12:23 p.m.

Funny as in amusing, not funny as in odd. :)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/18/18 12:51 p.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/18/18 1:24 p.m.

Is it Spirit that charges you to bring a bag on board? Anyway, I once flew one of those airlines. All of the cargo went into the cargo hold, and I've never seen a plane board so quickly. (Of course, the seats were super-thin, but they were the only ones offering the flight that I needed.)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/18/18 1:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Is it Spirit that charges you to bring a bag on board? Anyway, I once flew one of those airlines. All of the cargo went into the cargo hold, and I've never seen a plane board so quickly. (Of course, the seats were super-thin, but they were the only ones offering the flight that I needed.)

I think spirit has huge aisles (and the resulting narrow seats) as well.  This can be a large factor.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/18/18 1:43 p.m.

so they're going to do what delta did a few years ago at its main hubs/gates?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/18/18 1:55 p.m.

I discovered that if you have carry-on sized luggage, they will check it for free either at the ticket counter or at the gate.

I use this trick to bring back two bottles of wine every time I return from Florida. My daughter uses  this trick to avoid the hastle of finding security-aproved micro-sized potions and lotions that womanz require to  look presentable. Worse case scenario we would have to pay the $25 to get our illicit liquids to our destination.

Pete

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1hIVuAnxM3LLAAiMB92A6etlTNX7tRJgHTogqGjg4MLXTKWvo3saU7ZTBvrLBENm