Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/9/21 6:57 p.m.

I have fricking had it will these relentless text and cell phone calls since I got my new IPhone 13. I was previously on the 10 and never had an issue. Since the upgrade, holy berkeleying E36 M3, it never ends!!! What bugs me is the number displayed is not even on google or reverse look ups. No information....absolutely nothing....unless that is the whole point. Can a business or person pay Google to keep the number they use untraceable or something??? After talking with the V cell carrier, they said they can't do anything about it. I am on the do not call list but that is now garbage and doesn't even do anything anymore. How do I make it stop before I go chucking the thing at the moon or worse. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
12/9/21 7:00 p.m.

Do you have it set to silence calls not in your contacts?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/9/21 7:14 p.m.

Like I'm answering this?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/21 7:20 p.m.

The new phone is probably a coincidence. Caller ID is not really secure or verifiable in any way, so it's trivial to spoof it or block it. There are attempts to fix it, but I don't think it's implemented yet.

These shiny happy people are the reason that nobody answers a voice call anymore, all in the pursuit of easy money. This is why we can't have nice things.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/9/21 7:21 p.m.
EvanB said:

Do you have it set to silence calls not in your contacts?

I have and they still come through somehow

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/9/21 7:23 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Like I'm answering this?

I don't for any of those but I am seeing regular numbers coming through that isn't listed as spam or potential spam but the numbers cannot be verified online for anything to prove what they are

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/9/21 7:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The new phone is probably a coincidence. Caller ID is not really secure or verifiable in any way, so it's trivial to spoof it or block it. There are attempts to fix it, but I don't think it's implemented yet.

These shiny happy people are the reason that nobody answers a voice call anymore, all in the pursuit of easy money. This is why we can't have nice things.

Maybe but I don't even use voicemail. anyway. Having voicemail confirms that my number is valid to whoever is calling my number. Without one, the call doesn't return. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/9/21 7:26 p.m.

I had one text that was for a valid business in CA but the number tied to it to return the call was in WA and the business in CA does not do anything in WA. The WA number is not traceable. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/9/21 7:28 p.m.

Telephones used to be a useful device, but have become a massive pain in the ass.  I got 4 calls today from different people wanting to discuss my point of sale machine.  I generally just hang up, but today I asked whether he could tell me who my provider was currently, and who I banked with.

"How would I know that?" he asked.

"Then you have nothing to talk to me about."

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/9/21 8:07 p.m.

I've gotten fake calls that are supposedly coming from my own number. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/21 8:09 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:
Keith Tanner said:

Maybe but I don't even use voicemail. anyway. Having voicemail confirms that my number is valid to whoever is calling my number. Without one, the call doesn't return. 

In my case, if you don't leave a voicemail, you don't get a call back. With spoofed numbers, calling a number back is a waste of time. And occasionally I need to work with someone who isn't in my contact list, like the electrician who called today to confirm a time for an install tomorrow.

Once we have some sort of verification on caller ID, hopefully we'll be able to start using telephones again.

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
12/9/21 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Keith, this was my humor for the day. I don't know if you're responses are supposed to entertaining or informative...but they come across to me as dry, deadpan, Norm McDonald kind of thing. I don't know why...perhaps I had a long day and am a bit delusional. Either way, my wife is looking at me like there's something wrong with me. 

"hopefully we'll be able to start using telephones again" "this is why we cant have nice things" anyway, carry on

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/9/21 9:25 p.m.

In sales, you still need to answer every call you get, since you never know and the spoofing makes it look legit.  I dont want a hot project to kick to voicemail and a potential customer to call someone else.  

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
12/9/21 10:12 p.m.

My work cell number previously belonged to someone who somehow ended up on every spam text and phone list on the planet.  I get around 50 texts and 20 phone calls a day on that number.  I leave it on silent all the time.  

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
12/9/21 10:36 p.m.

I get a rash of calls and texts if I have to evict someone and put my number on some of the paperwork for the clerk's office. My favorite is the texts that use the address including apt # asking if I want to sell. Sometimes if I'm bored I answer, "sure 4.2 million."  The next text is usually shows they are puzzled so I ask if they even know what they are trying to buy by scraping data from the court records? Annnnd.... Blocked.

I just got a burner phone I can pay for minutes just for these situations and keep it off the other 99.9% of the time.

T-Mobile does a pretty good job with the "Scam Likely" system they have in place. At least I think its from them and not my Samsung phone. Whatever, it works and has cut down calls I have to wonder about.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
12/10/21 2:59 a.m.

If we have talked before, you are in my contacts. If not I don't answer. Period.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/10/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

That's because they aren't real numbers, they're fake. They are camouflage and have nothing to do with the robodialer the call is coming from. Sometimes they bother to use real area codes and initial 3 digits from you general area, sometimes they don't. But honestly if you pick any random 10-digit number it is likely to parse into a correctly-formatted US phone number.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/10/21 8:42 a.m.

T Mobile does a pretty good job of catching the spam calls and my phone is set up to block calls with an unknown or spam ID. 

As to the rest of them, unrecognized numbers on my cell usually go to voicemail unless I'm expecting a call from a customer. Most business calls go to my office number and I pay a girl to answer that one. She screens the trash off before I get them. 

Any spam call that makes it through those filters is immediately added to my blocked number list. I get very few spam calls and haven't for the last several years. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/10/21 9:17 a.m.

Until I tied my Google voice number to my phone these calls had all but disappeared. But in the few months since I tied the numbers together, Holy E36 M3. For someone who has NEVER bought a car from a dealership or stayed at a Marriott, they sure are insistent.

I don't even berkeley with them anymore unless I'm having a particularly bad day, then it is nice to tear into someone until they cry or hangup in disgust. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/10/21 1:37 p.m.

Super easy to spoof a number.  Just don't answer.  Period.  Don't decline the call, either.  Just silence the ringer and let it ring until it goes to voicemail.  If you decline the call, it goes straight to voicemail right away.  Here is why that is a factor.

Every single thing about that phone call is logged.  How many rings?  Did you answer?  Did you decline?  Did you press 1 to speak to an representative?  Did you talk to the rep?  Did you purchase the extended warranty?  It's all data that they use to sell.  It's all about your willingness to interact.  Your phone number has a "score" attached to it which they can sell for profit.  Phone numbers with a high score bring more than those with a low score.  The point here is not that they're selling your number.  Even I already know every single phone number in the US and Canada and so do you.  The saleable item is the data point between your number and the score.

If you decline the call, it's a data point.  If you answer, it's a data point.  If you press a key and interact with the phone call, it's a data point.  If you just silence the ringer and let it ring until it goes to VM, there is NO DATA POINT.  It tells them nothing.  There are two absolute worst things you can do:  1) answer the phone call to speak to a representative to have your number removed, and 2) obviously, purchase whatever they're selling.  The more you interact with these numbers, the more spam phone calls you'll get.  Just ignore, let it ring, and don't do anything.

That certainly won't make them stop calling.  Phone numbers are just numbers.  Even if you include every single numeric digit from 0 to 9, there are only about 90 billion combinations of digits which cover every single possible phone number in North America.  Narrow that list down by entering the 350-ish area codes in North America, and you limit that number to about 3.5 billion possible numbers.  That is something that a computer can generate and call in a matter of milliseconds.  It's not that there is some magic list that says Sine_Qua_Non sounds like a good target, let's look up their phone number and call them.  They call EVERY number.   My 15 year old nephew gets calls about his extended warranty, and he doesn't own a car nor is he old enough to drive.  They just call everything.

Their computer calls every single number in your area code over a certain period of time.  Then it logs all the interactions each number has and sells the data.  They will usually spoof a number in your same area code and exchange so it looks like a neighbor is calling.  You are many times more likely to answer a local call than a distance call, especially if you're older.  I live in PA but I have a CA number, so most of my calls come from an 818 number, and usually during PST business hours.  They're assuming I'm in CA.

The thing that gets me is... this can't be profitable anymore.  Data points bring big money (as of 2018, data surpassed oil in value globally) but the whole spam calling has become so out of hand that the number of people who would actually fall for it is next to zero.  Given the hundreds of spam calls I've had over the last couple years, and the fact that "vehicle extended warranty" has become a punchline, I can't imagine that data-only pays their bills.  And what is my data point worth from these calls?  Even if they collect my interaction data, sell it to another robocall company, then they call and collect my data.... and if that has happened 100 times, where is that value?  It's the same basic data set over and over.

According to Forbes, the average person's social media data is worth about $65/mo, but over time it decays and becomes stale.  After the first year of your FB, twitter, or Instagram profile, you might only be worth $40/mo.  That is why the social media platforms are constantly evolving.  That's why you get clickbait websites thrown in your feed.  You can choose which ones you like and dislike so it tailors your experience, but in reality... they're just finding ways to collect more data and put one last squeeze on the lemon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QRBAgqxPNPX42IUhrTVtWypCFk0Idput0O1etASCpkdiSoWVa2hXF8keE208NGc8