1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/26/20 2:02 p.m.

What do you use?

My Baker's brand imitation vanilla bottle is about gone, what do I replace it with?

I've got an aunt & uncle with a time share in Mexico, they smuggle some "real Mexican vanilla" back every year.  My aunt is a pretty dang good cook, and won't use anything else.

Is there a decent brand available north of the border?  Everything on Amazon seems to be at least some part "additional flavors."

Do I need to see if I can get one of the H1-B farm workers to swallow a balloon of Vanilla before they come back?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/26/20 2:07 p.m.

Almost anything that doesn't say "Imitation" on the label will be so much better than that stuff that it doesn't matter who makes it.

McCormick real vanilla extract is just fine:

We just bought some of this stuff at Walmart:

We've also had great luck with King Arthur products.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
5/26/20 2:07 p.m.

I make my own with vodka and vanilla beans. laugh

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/26/20 2:18 p.m.
RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
5/26/20 2:30 p.m.

Imitation for cookies, pure extract for cakes.

Vanilla beans for fancy stuff.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
5/26/20 2:32 p.m.

Costco vanilla. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/26/20 2:35 p.m.

I just finished a fairly large bottle that I bought some time ago from Costco.  Faced with its demise, I bought the largest bottle of McCormick brand I could find at the grocery.

Imitation vanilla?!  I shudder at the very thought!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/26/20 2:56 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo said:

Costco vanilla. 

I've been using Kirkland extra virgin olive oil for years, but have to buy it on Amazon, since we don't have a Costco in the state yet.  This is the land of Walmart, and their lobbyists have controlled the state since shortly after Sam left his five and dime.  Rumor is that Little Rock is finally getting a Costco, but it ain't here yet.

honda33
honda33
5/26/20 3:09 p.m.

The Costco vanilla is good and works for most everything, they also have real vanilla beans if one was inclined to diy. 

I do have a bottle of the cheap "Mexican" vanilla extract for larger baking projects, here's link:

Molina Vainilla Mexican Vanilla Blend Vanillin Extract 33.3oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B02F2I6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ACxZEbCXG4CJK

Or the traditional McCormicks:

McCormick All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract, 16 Fl Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MIWPGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UDxZEbYY36V89

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/26/20 3:14 p.m.

I steer clear of the imitation stuff, but just buy whatever they have at the store. I do keep a bottle of clear vanilla extract on hand for my Christmas cookies I make that use white royal icing.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/26/20 3:31 p.m.

We finished off a bottle of Mexican special (Especial?) that we were given about 25 years ago.  We are now into a bottle that we bought from "the vanilla lady" at the Wanamaker gun show a few years ago.  I did notice that Wally World caries the real stuff, but it ain't cheap.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/26/20 3:32 p.m.

White 5.0 convertible.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
5/26/20 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Alright stop. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/26/20 3:52 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo :

Collaborate and listen

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
5/26/20 3:56 p.m.

My wife owns a bakery.  My brother is a truck driver.  He brings her 1 gallon jugs of vanilla from around the border somewhere.  No idea on brand.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/26/20 5:22 p.m.
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) said:

We just finished a batch we made years ago, it made ALOT of vanilla!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/26/20 5:48 p.m.

We need the recipe! My wife uses a splash in her coffee every morning! It goes quick at our house.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/26/20 6:14 p.m.

Torani sugar free bought at  Walmart

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/26/20 6:41 p.m.

I last bought a 16oz bottle of McCormick vanilla for like $10. Now it's empty and Costco will get my $30 for the same size bottle.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
5/26/20 7:01 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Small bottle of vodka. Split three vanilla beans lengthwise and insert into bottle. Let sit in a dark cabinet for a month. I never take the beans out of the bottle.

preach
preach Reader
5/26/20 8:13 p.m.

Never in my life would I have thought a conversation on vanilla extract would be interesting. I am amazed at all of the aficionados of a flavoring I never, really ever use.

Is it because I do not favor sweets? Geographical (PA raised Centre to Pgh then mostly new england)? If you mention vanilla to me I think of ice cream.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/26/20 8:19 p.m.

I don't remember right off hand what it is in Mexican Vanilla that makes you shy away from it, but one of the ingredients in it is dangerous.

Dark Vanilla will always have another flavor in it.  The Bourbon makes everything you use it in taste funny.  Go for clear vanilla or one made with vodka.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
5/26/20 9:10 p.m.
carguy123 said:

I don't remember right off hand what it is in Mexican Vanilla that makes you shy away from it, but one of the ingredients in it is dangerous.

Dark Vanilla will always have another flavor in it.  The Bourbon makes everything you use it in taste funny.  Go for clear vanilla or one made with vodka.

I read somewhere that Bourbon vanilla doesn't use Bourbon as a liquid, it's named for the French Bourbon dynasty that ruled whatever part of Africa that started making the stuff.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/27/20 6:53 a.m.
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) said:

That's why (in NY anyway) grocery stores hide it in the office, pure alcohol.  These beans have lost their zing though.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
5/27/20 6:57 a.m.

In reply to preach :

Just wait until they figure out that cinnamon isn't really cinnamon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VrPy3lwROufTS5ZVmbt6of4R0wKcWOewErHmEEmqVpkk5ESpwFGVN6deHaYdXoiv