pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 1:52 p.m.

With all the talk about rental fleets getting liquidated and dealers facing hardship, I have been shopping minivans. So far, the deals are OK, but certainly not great. If I was buying anyway, I'd be happy to save a few $$, but nothing worth taking on another car payment for, even at 0%.

But I have noticed that full-sized vans, with V8 engines, and things like Ford Sprinter vans are about the same price on the used market. OK, they have more spartan interiors, but not that much different than my current ride. They haul more, seat more and tow more. Maybe I should embrace the van life?

We were a two van family for many years. I drove a full size conversion van and the wife a minivan. They are frequently the best tool for the job. Do it.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/30/20 2:16 p.m.

Dajiban! I kind of want one but my fleet is already at max capacity.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/30/20 3:20 p.m.

12 & 15 seat vans are gonna be hard to sell. So many fewer places to use them with so many big events canceled in a post-Corona world. 

When I bought my Hertz minivan full sized GMs vans with 22k miles were up for $22k

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
7/30/20 3:41 p.m.

I am semi-actively searching for a van right now. 

Way cheaper than a truck, at least in my area, can do a lot of truck things, plus you can sleep in it.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 3:57 p.m.

I'm loving my van so far, Also tows better than the 1/2 ton truck.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 6:07 p.m.

Probably my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Consider the fact I've only driven the Miata once since I brought this home last October. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/30/20 6:10 p.m.

Vans are awesome. 

The "church" vans should be easy buys at the moment because of COVID. The only thing I see opposing that statement is that everyone is in a mad grab for outdoors equipment and vans can easily be converted into that with some plywood and ingenuity. 

Also "influencers" push that kind of crap hard too which has a tendency to push the market. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 6:39 p.m.

I miss Chester the Molester van.  7.3 powerstroke and a 10k towing capacity.

That thing was a beast.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/30/20 6:42 p.m.

I was cross shopping full size vans when I bought my Country Squire wagon. Vans rock.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/30/20 8:09 p.m.

Love my 2008 Ford e-350.  165,000 miles.  Took all the rear seats out the first week i owned it. Quite the business workhorse, pulls the 20" race trailer. Dual A/C and insulation keeps it quieter inside.  Windows make it look a little less like a work truck.

Everything in the back of a pickup either gets wet or stolen.  laugh

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/30/20 8:31 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

The only thing I see opposing that statement is that everyone is in a mad grab for outdoors equipment ... 

Tell me about it!  Just try to find available parts to service your mountain bike these days!  Heck, even pedals are sold out.  Silly, really, as I don’t see any more bikes than usual on the trails.  But I digress ...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SuOA8TvzcPPO4GNosRLPu4PlNGa3uXjlQbKuphL5CKtJsbuBSG8Ad2NTpUU3zHjr