bearmtnmartin SuperDork
3/11/20 8:44 p.m.

Two flights in a row.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/11/20 8:54 p.m.

Edit:  Saw this today.

Oy!  

My son was supposed to come up tomorrow from Connecticut, we were to hang out and then he was presenting at a wine event at the Saratoga National Golf Course on Friday.

His wife is the school psychiatrist in a high end area.

He called, her school is closed for two weeks! He and the wife are on self quarantine.
Sucks because they've been jumping through medical hoops to get pregnant, tomorrow was the last hoop

No names were mentioned or ever will be, but a parent from the school has the Virus;  came to school, went to an event with lots of people, then hopped on a plane. That person is in quarantine where he/she landed.

.... where someone should smash his balls flat with a rock! 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/11/20 8:59 p.m.

Not a Fourth thread about the virus....indecision

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/11/20 9:11 p.m.

Much less traffic. I work construction building...... buildings for tech companies and all the tech companies are working from home right now.

I saw like five cars on the way to work this morning and we're building a 1.4 million square-foot building in the epicenter of the tech section outside SF

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/11/20 9:48 p.m.

I predict a baby boom in 9 months.  Like that kind of perk?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/11/20 9:54 p.m.

Guy on reddit had his row of seats to himself.  Set up his tripod and filmed the milky way rising.

https://i.imgur.com/rrZeUTo.gif

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/11/20 10:25 p.m.

I work in entertainment. If this gets worse -and we know it will, I will find myself sitting at home for a few weeks with just a few projects to work on. Hopefully it will be warm enough to go sailing or something

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/12/20 5:58 a.m.

It's getting serious when March Madness will be spectator-free. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/12/20 8:27 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Yes, but this one is different in that it dwells on the positive!

Yay!  Virus!  laugh

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/12/20 8:30 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

It's getting serious when March Madness will be spectator-free. 

I'm betting it doesn't happen.  NBA just suspended the season since a player tested positive.  NCAA will be no less cautious.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/12/20 8:36 a.m.

The disconnect about NCAA B-ball is that if the students are not on campus they may not be in the state the University resides in.  The student player will then not be in the airport city from which the team plane or bus begins the travel to the game.  

Or, because of B-ball is the player expected to stay in the dorms while there is no class.  I have heard that universities are discouraging the students to remain in the dorms due to "density of living conditions."  This closure of dorms is further hurting international students who genuinely only live in the dorm (have no other US home.)  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
3/12/20 8:36 a.m.

My son tells me they are already selling "Coronacation 2020" shirts for all the college students who just got sent home.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/12/20 8:47 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

There's this really weird thing with forums, social media, the news. 

You don't HAVE to click on it. wink

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
3/12/20 10:44 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Anyway, there is lots of interest because it is a generational story. And I bet there are more than four threads on some really mundane things here that even most of us don't really care about.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/12/20 11:34 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Anyway, there is lots of interest because it is a generational story. And I bet there are more than four threads on some really mundane things here that even most of us don't really care about.

Exactly, but I don't click on them and make a comment about how nobody cares either. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/12/20 11:41 a.m.

A plague on both your houses!

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
3/12/20 11:48 a.m.

Well, my wife is pretty sure we will see a baby boom in about a year, from all the people forced to stay home for the next few weeks...

That's a perk, right?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
3/12/20 11:48 a.m.

I'm hoping my redeye tonight is similar. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/12/20 11:59 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I'm hoping my redeye tonight is similar. 

Just to clarify, you want to make a baby?  Or you want the seat next to you to be empty?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/12/20 12:19 p.m.

For sure, this will kill the open office concept.  Spreads germs too quickly.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
3/12/20 12:26 p.m.

As was mentioned in one of the other threads, one potential benefit will be forcing companies to realize just how many of their employees can telecommute or work remotely and not have to be spending time and fuel commuting back and forth to an office every day. 

I was talking with a friend here (not a car guy) about how we'd handle having to self-quarantine for 2 weeks, and we both figured we'd have no shortage of things to do. For better or worse though I'd still have to work since I'm already set up to be able to work from home when I want to, so it wouldn't be the vacation for me that it would for some (but of course, I'd also not have to worry about not geting paid...).

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/12/20 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Only if you think that MORE people is what the planet needs.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/12/20 12:46 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

As was mentioned in one of the other threads, one potential benefit will be forcing companies to realize just how many of their employees can telecommute or work remotely and not have to be spending time and fuel commuting back and forth to an office every day. 

I was talking with a friend here (not a car guy) about how we'd handle having to self-quarantine for 2 weeks, and we both figured we'd have no shortage of things to do. For better or worse though I'd still have to work since I'm already set up to be able to work from home when I want to, so it wouldn't be the vacation for me that it would for some (but of course, I'd also not have to worry about not geting paid...).

Yeah, most of the time I can get more done at home, because myself and others aren't getting up to go chat with someone in a different area of the office, etc. Not to mention, my home office setup is nicer with larger monitors than my office setup. Of course, sometimes it's also easy to get distracted when working from home. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
3/12/20 12:46 p.m.

Taking the kids to NYC for spring break...

Got 3rd row, center orchestra Book of Mormon tickets for $50ea

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/12/20 12:57 p.m.

One of my wife's friends just posted a 5 day carribean cruise that's selling for 182 bucks. I've always wanted to go on a cruise so I'm debating the risk 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SdB29cea3jhyplqBSl33NTcfgfmg7z07XnpmQDJpytoTSFdOFnLObsyAILSofbII