1 2 3 4
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
7/7/18 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

I have no idea. I think he was trying to play a combo of  “decide fast or lose out” with “I have this other great Explorer for you that has better options, that I’ll cut you a deal on.”  Either that or he was too lazy/dumb to keep track of inventory. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a used car salesman. 

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/7/18 11:04 a.m.

It was a soft top for the record, and I did come in pretty low looking at comparables. A new JL Sport it $9000 more and I can order it my way. I will probably do that. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
7/9/18 12:13 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

My experience mirrors Cotton's. Why pay $18k for a 2007 when I could buy a brand new 2012 for $22k? So that's what I did.

Also, as a soft top Wrangler owner, a water leak isn't a fault, its a feature! cheeky

I just turned 41k miles on my Wrangler today. I have been sorta kinda tossing the idea around of trading it in on a 4wd pickup. But, I have put so much blood, sweat and tears (aka money) into this damn Jeep that it really has become mine. I still wanna regear it and put a rack and RTT on. THEN it will be what I wanted it to be in 2012.

Until the Jeep pickups come out cool

Do you get extra Jeep points for putting Wranglers on a Wrangler?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/9/18 12:43 p.m.

Of course you do, just like you get bonus points for putting Discoverers on a Land Rover Discoverier.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/9/18 3:07 p.m.

My Jeep has Coopers and my dog is named Cooper. But that only gets me half credit.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Dork
7/9/18 6:22 p.m.

In reply to D2W :

All the points. I'm kind of a big deal wink

LOL cheeky

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/9/18 7:31 p.m.

As others have said, late model, used Jeeps are close in price to new Jeeps, and until something changes the market, it's likely to stay that way. Even salvage Wranglers are expensive, because everybody and their cousin wants to pick parts off of them.

I was looking at Jeeps, and found I didn't want one enough to justify paying (that much) for one. I would up getting a 4Runner instead. It will handle the type of off-roading I plan to do with it, cost less and is a billion times quieter on the road when driving long distances. It isn't a Jeep, nothing else really is, but it hauls our stuff, drives on the beach, doesn't leak, pulls a boat when called on and has had no major mechanical issues at all. The roof doesn't come off, though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/10/18 6:27 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I would up getting a 4Runner instead. It will handle the type of off-roading I plan to do with it, cost less and is a billion times quieter on the road when driving long distances. It isn't a Jeep, nothing else really is, but it hauls our stuff, drives on the beach, doesn't leak, pulls a boat when called on and has had no major mechanical issues at all. The roof doesn't come off, though.

I've got that same 4Runner but much cheaper and MUCH less reliable. It says Grand Cherokee on the back. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/11/18 10:44 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I got a chuckle out of that. I didn't pay much for my 4Runner. I bought it with high miles and a timing belt service due from people with waaaaay more disposable income than I've got- but I could've gotten a Grand Cherokee of the same year (2003)  and miles (270ish) for probably nearly free.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/12/18 4:37 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

True. At 270k most Grand Cherokee owners will pay you to remove it from the property.  But you'll need to bring a trailer and a winch.

mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
7/12/18 7:08 a.m.

I just went through this and ended up buying a new 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon. I kept looking at older Jk's and the numbers never made sense. I was able to get a good discount, yes they are dealing now, so it just didn't make sense to spend almost the same money on a used Jeep with miles on it than buying one new.

I'm very happy with my decision and love driving it. It is my daily but I do also have a 2016 Miata that I drive for the when I want a more sporty drive.

I got the Unlimited as I have grandkids that are with us a lot and the extra room over the two door with all thier stuff when we take them to the beach made the difference. I'm looking at joining a club locally to get into some off road fun too.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
7/12/18 8:09 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

The roof doesn't come off, though.

Sure it does. It's getting it back on again that's the hard part cheeky

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/12/18 12:14 p.m.

So I own a stupid, expensive 2016 cybergreen green Jeep Wrangler Unlimited now.

They moved enough to move me.

Pics at 11.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
7/12/18 1:11 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

True. At 270k most Grand Cherokee owners will pay you to remove it from the property.  But you'll need to bring a trailer and a winch.

I’m Grand Cherokee curious but I didn’t want to thread jack so I kept my mouth shut.

There are only a handful of new cars I consider to be slightly better than totally lame and nearly all of them are notoriously unreliable.

I guess my future is deterministic and it includes a Taco outfitted with the poser package (TRD) because mid-life.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
7/12/18 5:48 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
ultraclyde said:

I’m Grand Cherokee curious but I didn’t want to thread jack so I kept my mouth shut.

There are only a handful of new cars I consider to be slightly better than totally lame and nearly all of them are notoriously unreliable.

I guess my future is deterministic and it includes a Taco outfitted with the poser package (TRD) because mid-life.

My wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the eco-diesel. 48K miles. We did have some issues with the electronics in the first year, but all was covered under warranty and haven't had any problems since. It is really nice, and she gets 22 mpg combined with her lead foot. I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 183K miles. No issues ever, and I love it. It does only get 15 mpg combined. What will the future hold for the GC? She probably won't keep it long enough to know.

I would add that I think unless you are truly into offroading, the GC is a better rig in every aspect compared to the Wrangler.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
7/12/18 8:01 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Grand Cherokees depreciate like mad, at least around me. If you get one a year or two old with some warranty left on it, there are probably worse choices you can make. I'm not sure how large of a price delta 2WD versus 4WD is on those.

If you do go Tacoma, absolutely get a 4x4. You have some great wheeling opportunities out West.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/12/18 8:12 p.m.
QuasiMofo said:

So I own a stupid, expensive 2016 cybergreen green Jeep Wrangler Unlimited now.

They moved enough to move me.

Pics at 11.

Congrats!

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/24/18 11:16 a.m.

So we have bought the Jeep, did a week of fun stuff up in Northern Michigan (Torch Lake, trails, Mighty Mac) All in all about 2500 miles... How did I live prior to this thing?

Cons? Yes: Its riding on a set of 20x10 murdered out lead weights rolling LT305/55R20 E Load Mickey Thompsons. Oh do they weigh a lot. I'll shop for winter wheels and deal with these for the time being. Stereo sucks worse that the 2012 Ford Focus. I have about 1000 watts and some proper speakers to remedy this.

It has not sat still long enough for any photo opportunities yet.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/24/18 11:37 a.m.

Glad you're enjoying it!  As much as I dislike some of the shortcomings, they do win on a lot of levels. There's a reason they are selling almost as many Wranglers as Camrys right now.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/24/18 6:12 p.m.

I found a set of 5 OE 18" wheels for $100. A set of Cooper 255/70r18 winters are $125 ea at Wallyworld.com.

A Jeeper at work is upgrading from his 2.5" lift and Fox shocks for a favorable price. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/25/18 9:45 a.m.

I just rented one last weekend.   Yeah, the ride is jouncy, the handling....interesting and the ergonomics questionable, but I love them.  The "Freedom Top" is fantastic--- like a massive targa top.

I'll be renting another in a couple of weeks, as there is a discount carrier (Routes Rental Car) in Chicago O'Hare that has extremely reasonable rates.  (last week I paid $150 for six days!). 

And big cows fit on top!  (other photos not included for litigation reasons....this is the interwebs after all...). 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/18 9:52 a.m.

Good to know on the cheap Chitown rentals. That may be relevant to my interests soon...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/25/18 12:10 p.m.

If you guys would replace any words related to the Wrangler with any modern diesel pickup, this would literally be the same conversation. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/18 12:26 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

If you guys would replace any words related to the Wrangler with any modern diesel pickup, this would literally be the same conversation. 

I...uh...well, you're not wrong.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/25/18 1:42 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

I see lots of Wranglers rolling around on 20s. It kills me when people put huge wheels and E rated tires on their Jeeps then complain that it rides too rough.

I had a friend that put 17" steel wheels and 35" E rated mud terrain tires on her Jeep then complained it rode rough and was slow. DUH

My Wrangler is a poverty spec Sport that came with 16" steel wheels. I put on 15x8 alloy wheels and 33" C rated all terrains. It rode better than with the stock tires until I put on springs from a JKU that had a much higher spring rate. It's pretty firm now, to put it lightly.

Good on you for ditching the bro-dozer wheels. The stock wheels are limited by backspacing but that shouldn't be an issue if you are sticking to stock or close-to-stock tire sizes.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xSpc17gkQZO5zRUD9Pvf6TjmSoWeY6rEfhqqaD5K8yDkT9LUn6ouCxHGwZPsD1DZ