1 2 3 4
QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/25/18 9:04 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

I'll probably keep the Brodozers around as well. I dont mind the ride in so much as that I think that the installation of E Loads was ridonkulous. I can't wait to get the stereo upgraded though. Seriously. Whose idea was it to fire all the sound at the floor or the front seat bottoms? 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/25/18 10:17 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Yeah, the stock stereo is pretty crappy. I was impressed with Uconnect though.

I ended up replacing the stock radio with a double DIN JVC head unit, the stock speakers with the Mopar Kicker versions and adding a 10" Bazooka tube sub.

I also removed the front speaker enclosures, lined them with knockoff Soundmat and stuffed them with poly fill material.

The speaker bar in the back buzzed and rattled after upgrading the speakers. I attempted to fill it with expanding foam. That really helped with the rattles.

I didn't want to put a massive system in since I was worried about theft (it's a soft top) and water (soft top again) but at least you can hear the radio over the wind and road noise now.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/26/18 3:10 p.m.

I know that Teh Googols can answer this but is the front speaker pod able to accept a standard 6.5" speaker or is it form fitted like the sound bar chamber?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/26/18 4:53 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

The front enclosures are pretty deep so I wouldn't worry about depth.

Not my pic:

This vid shows the enclosures:

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/27/18 11:17 a.m.

I have a pair of Lanzar 6.5" subwoofers for the lower dash (maybe the best accidental buy I made for the Cruze) and a pair of Cerwin Vega 3.5" for the upper. Should be able to brighten up the imaging there a bit, also running them all down to 2ohm with a 4 channel 600w amp will help. the rear channel will probably get the FCA Kicker upgrade 6.5s and another set of 3.5" CVs trimmed into the sound bar all wired 2ohm off the same 4 channel amp. Two Skar 10" subs run 2ohm off a 500w amp built with a quick release and bypass to pull out the subs and amps and to run the OE head unit to the speakers making the wiring easy to steal or easy to repair depending on who's looking at it.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 7:15 a.m.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 7:16 a.m.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 7:17 a.m.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 7:19 a.m.

Don't you hate it when you show up somewhere and someone is wearing the same outfit?

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 7:20 a.m.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 7:21 a.m.

(teh googols pixxor)

That speaker and his little friend are being replaced very soon.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/28/18 10:05 a.m.

That's a great color! I applaud Jeep for not being afraid of fun colors. Orange? Sure. Bright blue? Knock yourself out. Atomic green? You betcha!

Those wheels aren't as garish as I thought they would be. At least they aren't the ubiquitious KMC Rockstars.

Any plans for a lift? I running the Teraflex budget boost spacer kit. It's not a lot but I just wanted to be able to clear 33s. Down the road I'll probably swap it out for a real lift kit; something in the 2.5-3.5" range.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 11:01 a.m.

2.5" lift is on the horizon. A buddy has a 12000 mile kit he's taking off this winter that I'm going to grab up.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/28/18 11:05 a.m.

Yeah those wheels aren’t that offensive, but I’d still be on the lookout for some smaller ones, just for cheaper tires if anything. 

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 11:06 a.m.

I have vehemently been against black wheels and moreso 20s on Jeeps for as long as they have been things. I think that this looks just right enough.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 11:13 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Yeah those wheels aren’t that offensive, but I’d still be on the lookout for some smaller ones, just for cheaper tires if anything. 

Winter tires on stock sizsize wheels is the plan for half the year

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/28/18 11:17 a.m.
QuasiMofo said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Winter tires on stock sizsize wheels is the plan for half the year

That was what I was going to suggest. Winter tires on a Wrangler  would make it damn near unstoppable. 

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/28/18 11:31 a.m.

For those looking for a good deal

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
7/30/18 5:23 p.m.

Decided to drive the Cruze versus The Derangler today. I miss strong bass transitions and 30mpg but that's literally only the two things I miss. 

I want Kelly to sell the Focus and keep the Cruze because it's that much better of a vehicle. Anyone want an $8000 Ford Focus hatch? Me either.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
8/1/18 4:19 p.m.

Added two 6.5" speakers to the sound bar. If I said they fit flawlessly you wouldn't believe me. The sound bar cover needs spacers to not affect the performance, I'm going to add 1/4" to see how they work.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
8/3/18 3:16 p.m.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/3/18 3:25 p.m.

Nice!

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
8/3/18 4:28 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

Thank you.

The grilles are still going to need more space than what I built from delrin at work. I used 7mm and I'm thinking 11mm will be the starting point. essentially just a thick plastic washer.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
8/3/18 5:12 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

That looks really good. It probably sounds 1000x better than the horrible paper whizzer factory jobs.

I wonder when they changed the sound bar design in 2015 if they improved the quality of the sound bar. The sound bar in my 2012 has the quality of a dollar store kazoo and sounded just as good as one before I messed with it.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
8/4/18 5:44 a.m.

The pockets for the 3.5" speakers are small on the dash and sound bar. Almost too small for the replacement speakers. I think the sound bar needs a bit more wattage to sound good now. It's not great but it is good enough for now. If I was really motivated I would have wired up the amps last night but I'm not concerned about it yet.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6PLLCzmcsfZ3e1Y53k5wyDy1Hy08OtOIpFMgEYJoXvyOME85l9NtR3CYIV66VOg3