dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/21/17 10:33 a.m.

We have an older Kenmore 70 series washer. The dam thing stinks inside if you leave the top closed. This tells me it needs cleaning. I assume that lint (or an old sock) has got some place and it needs cleaning. So how do you clean these things? I assume I want to take the drum out. And get at the tub behind it and clean it. Is this a diy job or call a pro. I have a second washer stored in my basement that is an exact copy just a couple years older that I could use if this turns in to a big job.

Anyone done this before?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/21/17 10:39 a.m.

I just leave the lid up so moisture can evaporate.

Jderiansf
Jderiansf New Reader
5/21/17 10:56 a.m.

dean1484,

I just finished doing this with mine. It is definitely a diy. It probably has an accumulation of "dirt" around the tub. I once had a sock stuck in the pump, and paid a technician to show me how easy it is to work on.

At the back of the machine, there should be some screws to detach the top (control panel). Then, the front three sides (and lid) hinge forward to reveal the insides of the machine.
To get to the tub, you'll have to disassemble the center tumbler mechanism (look inside (under) the softner cup. It's just one bolt. Then the main tub has a special retainer ring. The actual tool costs $16 - $25. I just used a hammer, and a solid block of wood wedged in there to loosen it. Once that is detached, you can pull the tub, and you'll probably see a ring of "dirt" around it. That's where your smell is coming from

I found good info, video and parts from repairclinic dot com. Also you tube (of course)

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/21/17 12:02 p.m.

I'll second repair clinic and YouTube, for help fixing appliances.

7rx
7rx New Reader
5/22/17 9:28 a.m.

Run a cup of white vinegar with the next load. It will kill the smell and works much better than bleach. I had to do this to my washer after leaving a load of wet cloths in it over a weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A58cG5prlzn4gOnsk7ldp8SVpzxAALKEYjIkd8mRdNCRNpOqQL1GoSeVwPsh2sKZ