1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/22 9:09 a.m.
Driven5 said:

A professional racing team.

Which you could run for what, 4 races before you were broke?

I'd go for the property / new house / shop combo meal somewhere that it would be nice to retire to.  My tastes aren't that extravagant so $1.8M would get the job done nicely.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
6/23/22 9:18 a.m.
Driven5 said:

A professional racing team.

A time honored way of turning a large fortune into a small fortune...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/23/22 9:33 a.m.

Restore a steam locomotive to operation would be an easy way to chew through $1.8 million. Hell, you might not even end up with a running locomotive. Or even one that's fully assembled. Could probably build a full-size operating replica of one of those neat little Sandy River & Rangely Lakes 2-6-2s for that much too, 24" gauge stuff is relatively cheap.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/23/22 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

But isn't that the definition of waste? 4 races and your race team is done.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/22 9:45 a.m.

Find a worthy young driver and pay for them to enter the Indy 500.  $1.8m should cover a competitive month of may ride with a decent team and engine lease.  No returns to speak of, and the money is certainly gone.  But imagine having that photo on the wall, the car YOU entered and ran in the 500.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/22 9:53 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

i thought the question was how to waste $1.8M.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/23/22 9:12 p.m.

Houses are an option? I thought housing was out because it was boring. If houses are an option then I'll stick to my existing vehicles and buy a house.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/22 1:32 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I've seen some absolutely goofy houses, so, yeah, you can definitely waste money on a house.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/22 9:05 a.m.

Got another way.  Buy at $5k Maserati BiTurbo on craigsface marketscam and use the remaining $1,795,000 for weekly maintinance.  Should get you through Christmas.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
6/24/22 9:48 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Got another way.  Buy at $5k Maserati BiTurbo on craigsface marketscam and use the remaining $1,795,000 for weekly maintinance.  Should get you through Christmas.

Someone beat you to it on page one :)

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/24/22 10:16 a.m.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/24/22 11:47 a.m.

I think I would buy a controlling interest in small well run company that private equity firms are looking to plunder.  Then arrange to have half my share of company profits reinvested in the company and other half used to create a primary school endowment whose mission to make sure that there is money for world class education available everywhere that company has employees. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
6/24/22 11:48 a.m.

If cars are allow, a huaryra roadster. If not, rent a G5500 and private jetting for a year around the world for me and a handful of friends. 

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/25/22 9:06 a.m.

I would start working when I was 16 and retire when I was about 65...

Maybe I wasted 1.8 million in 49 years.

Or wait for the next GameStop thing and make speculators lose money.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/25/22 10:53 a.m.
Noddaz said:

Pull your Social Security report and add up your earnings across your lifetime.  You'll wonder where it went....

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
6/25/22 12:39 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Or wait for the next GameStop thing and make speculators lose money.

Funny you say that because the owner of the hedge-fund on the other side of the bet folded the fund...but didn't lose a penny of his own money.  They never do.  Who got their face ripped off?  Probably the firefighters retirement or the teacher's pension.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/25/22 3:46 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
Noddaz said:

Pull your Social Security report and add up your earnings across your lifetime.  You'll wonder where it went....

Look, I am depressed enough without actually looking THAT up.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/25/22 4:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Houses are an option? I thought housing was out because it was boring. If houses are an option then I'll stick to my existing vehicles and buy a house.

Go full McMansion Hell too; an plant, random cupolas, feaux Roman columns. Make it look full 2006.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9GM73Lx4mVGq9HkRyd6uCTewlhipA7QOCzQYsSUHWNczGkKBEGGy3xhjr8IPoyWt