1 2
barnca
barnca Reader
3/1/11 1:08 p.m.

In reply to PubBurgers:

i am a lifer on coumodin and lovenox shots.. any questions i can probably answer them in none dr speak for you..

barnca2010@yahoo.com

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/1/11 1:24 p.m.

Coumodin is what they've got me on at the moment, I was taking Fragmin shots till I got where I needed to be. As long as there's no serious underlying cause they say I should be on it 12 months max.

The doctors seemed baffled as well that a 25 year old would have such problems. As I said, just gotta wait on the all important blood test results. Nothing runs in the family so I'm hoping it all comes back ok.

Wife is taking it fine, though she did get a little stressed while I was in the hospital and she had to work and take care of our 2 year old full-time.

As for the cat scan, I wouldn't say it felt like I wet myself but it was definitely....unique.

barnca
barnca Reader
3/1/11 5:24 p.m.

i was diagnosed with a clotting disorder.. i take 15 mg of coumodin a day... i dont bleed when they draw my blood.. when it hits the air.. it turns to sludge.. gotta make sure ya dont bump into stuff hard.. bruise real ez... the dose i take is about 3 times what a typical cardiac pt would take...

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/7/11 6:08 p.m.

Ok, I plan on asking my doctor next chance I get and it's not bad enough for immediate attention so I figured I'd ask here.

For those who have had PE's, did you have occasional mild pain associated with deep breathing after the fact? I'm still having some dull pains sometimes, from what I've read, this is fairly common.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/7/11 6:30 p.m.

I didn't have a PE, mine was a DVT about three or four inches from the heart, in the big vein under the armpit. Because it was totally blocked, all the little veins and capillaries took over and expanded to the point that I had this weird little blue web of veins standing up all over my chest and shoulder. That's completely subsided. There was considerable pain and swelling, and even after recovery that arm would ache. Still does if I'm overtired, or have worked out too much. So, pain is probably par for the course. I went through a battery of tests and was really relieved that there was no underlying blood disorder - would hate to be on coumadin forever. When they took my blood it would run down my arm and I'd be left with horrible bruises. I won't go into other, um, female aspects of its effects. Ugh.

xd
xd Reader
3/7/11 6:45 p.m.

I got my first dvt at 25 at 28 I had one break off and split into 4 diffrent ones because I stoped taking my coumadin. Its not strange that you got a clot its simple biology. If you had blood running down your arm when they drew your blood your protime was berkeleyed. I would change doctors. I have been on coumadin for about 10 years. My life is the same except I don't drink anymore. Funny thing about that is that if you drink a lot they just put you on a lower dose.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/7/11 7:30 p.m.

Yeah, it took a while to get it (INR) stable, it fluctuated a lot at first.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
2/6/12 1:57 p.m.

Well after a year I'm off my coumadin. As of today I can take aspirin and booze like a regular person. Started smoking again a couple months after all this happened but I've only had two in the past week and a half with the help of nicotine patches.

I've been advised by my doctor not to do it again, as any further incidents mean medicated for life.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/6/12 2:07 p.m.

Just take it easy and heal up. We need you here with us on the forum, not taking up space in the local cemetary

barnca wrote: i was diagnosed with a clotting disorder.. i take 15 mg of coumodin a day... i dont bleed when they draw my blood.. when it hits the air.. it turns to sludge.. gotta make sure ya dont bump into stuff hard.. bruise real ez... the dose i take is about 3 times what a typical cardiac pt would take...

That is some scary stuff there. I have an amazing clotting factor too, just this side of needing those shots. The vacuum tubes they use to take blood.. I can fill one, but then they need to find a new spot to stick me

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/6/12 2:28 p.m.

I don't like the idea of Coumadin. It's rat poison!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
2/6/12 2:50 p.m.

Everything is poison in the wrong dosage, CWH =)

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
2/6/12 2:52 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Started smoking again a couple months after all this happened...

You idiot. Why? You had them beat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iLqTCC2gvnKNUFroFjeIGvNPgvfqwquAGbAkPcnxpNQ5diAqiF9OPiO3WuVjuUjH