ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/16/18 12:47 a.m.

Went to the fair and watched the demolition derby, minivan and small car classes. My first thought was, kinda sad seeing some of the cars destroyed (mx3 hopefully not the v6 version) and im pretty sure someone on here could have built a challenge car out of a few of these(although....lots of tempos and corsicas).

Was kinda suprised to see a zx2 take and dish a whole hell of a lot of abuse and keep running too

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 6:54 a.m.

In reply to ThatsNoUsername :

That’s a rather sterile review. 

Was it fun?  How much beer did you have?  Were there plenty of girls in Daisy Duke shorts??

Come on man, priorities!! cheeky

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
9/16/18 6:59 a.m.

I thought all mx3 had the tiny v6.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
9/16/18 7:35 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I was thinking the same thing. Did you hit anyone on your way out? Used to go to that every summer at the local dirt track when we lived in Iowa.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/16/18 8:01 a.m.

I haven't been to one in probably 35 years...back then all the cars were big 1950s and 1960s land yachts, it seems kind of anticlimactic to watch Tempos crash into each other.  

Nowadays, out in the farmlands they have demo derbies with combines - that sounds like fun.  smiley

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/16/18 8:15 a.m.

If you can't have fun at a demolition derby, better check your pulse.

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/16/18 8:49 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Oh, I didn't say I didn't have fun. Fun was had, a few pretty spectacular fires

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/16/18 8:52 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

It was fun, no beer because I didn't want to wait 30 min for a bud light. It was about 50 degrees so no Daisy dukes

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/16/18 8:55 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

The 4cyl is way more common. The fiancee has a v6 years ago and has been looking for another cheap one, I don't think seeing one at the Derby is what she was thinking of lol

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
9/16/18 10:03 a.m.

At least the demolition derbies here generally use cheap and common cars, in some other places the more rare the better and people pay quite a bit of money for cars to destroy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iifLA5u7Lc&t=249s

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/16/18 10:05 a.m.

Demolition derbys have changed alot the last 5 years hear. No more compact class they now call it street stock and use fwd cars. Guess they ran out of chevettes too kill. The full size class is always crown vics. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/16/18 11:09 a.m.

I am curious how the demo derby will (is?) dealing with the “modern” cars they have to use now.  With all the electronics in them it seems like it could be difficult to strip the. Down as much as they normally do (e.g. sensors and such).  Not like an old carbed V8 which just need some power to the coil and a gas line to the fuel pump.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/18 11:51 a.m.

Gnarliest one I remember was one with some full sized Chevy. It beached itself on the telephone poles they had a around the track for "protection." Right in front of a set of bleachers. The driver kept it pinned trying to claw it's way off the pole for over 5 minutes. The poor 305 finally popped and barfed it's guts out into mud. Oil and gas spread out from under the engine bay like blood. 

Was cool till the gas/oil caught fire. Then it was awesome, because that crowded bleachers parted like the Red Sea.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/16/18 12:04 p.m.

I've been trying to get into demo derby since high school. Seems to be a private club around here, can't find any rules, regulations, sign ups, anything. Just posters showing the schedule. 

I think it would be fun as hell. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/16/18 12:20 p.m.
RevRico said:

I've been trying to get into demo derby since high school. Seems to be a private club around here, can't find any rules, regulations, sign ups, anything. Just posters showing the schedule. 

I think it would be fun as hell. 

Find out who the promoter is, that should get you too the rulebook. Around here the windshield class is always full of new people.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/16/18 1:58 p.m.

I think it would be fun to see a demolition derby running exclusively Priuses or Smart Cars.  I'd go see that.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/16/18 5:26 p.m.

I caught the local fair demo derby couple weeks ago. 7 heats of whiplash heaven. One of the heats were underage kids (couldn’t catch the exact age because of the terrible PA system) with an adult in the passenger seat. No hits allowed in the front doors and all small fwd cars. Pretty cool!

Overall win went to a fwd car that I couldn’t identify. Maybe a lancer. Held it’s own over the crown Vic’s.  Worth the $10.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/16/18 7:08 p.m.

This was the first year I missed the local fair in about 20 years. I haven't seen a normal demo derby for a good 15 of those years since I discovered the Double Figure 8 Demolition Derby. 

The local rules:

-4 cylinder stuff only, mostly compacts

-FWD or RWD only, that means no AWD stuff like Subarus

-Gut the cars like a typical demo derby car

-FWD cars can run donut spares out back to enhance drifting abilities

Races are held in the dirt, and the drier the dirt, the faster things get. They water it at the beginning, so the later races are ridiculous! They race 6 cars at a time, and the winners of the races then face off in a final. Depending on how many entries they get, they will have two "winner races", and then the two winners will face off one on one until one person conquers all. 

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!!!

Anything left that's still running gets tossed back out there for the Compact Car Demolition Derby!!!

This, folks, is the best demo derby you will ever see. I've seen some real carnage at these ones. Cars tend to flip, catch fire, and more. FWD stuff can get crushed out back until the trunk is touching the driver's seat, and they keep going. 

The chariot of choice? Unquestionably, the Chevrolet Cavalier. Aside from one year where a friend's wife's old early 90's Honda Accord won the whole thing, a Cavalier has won every single time. They may be questionable on the roads, but the J Body GM vehicles excel in death! 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/16/18 7:36 p.m.

I helped my (now) ex-BIL run a rusty 85 Honda in the compact class one year about 16 years ago. I knew we were in trouble when the winning AMC Spirit arrived & had a full nascar type frame & tubular bumpers. It didn’t matter much though, the Honda was so rusty he lost a back wheel on the first hit & was only able to drag it around a couple minutes before it overheated. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/18 11:04 p.m.

There are strategies. Greasing the outer sidewalls of the tires can help defect hits. Remove the bolts holding in the radiator and hold in in with a bungee cord to allow movement. On RWD automatics, cut a hole in the floor and weld a rod directly to the selector. Snarled linkages can lock you in one gear only. Cut the ends off metal bumpers. The ends can snag, locking you to another car.

I've put thought into this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fvALBr2V2gYH9Qc45JHtNBwhPFsdiTwpGpHZL4c2Ep5zxDOZKIM1SZdgkoM4I20n