1 2 3
golfduke
golfduke Dork
9/16/21 12:56 p.m.

You know where i stand on this one with the pathfinder (don't...ever), but dollar for dollar, the 5.6 Armada is a tough package to beat...  Rock solid engine, good torques, japanese convenience of repairs/mechanicals, and pretty nice fit and finish.  Plus, it's the only non-domestic manufacturer that doesn't seem to get the Toyota/Honda tax lately. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/21 1:17 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

I thought the Armada/Titan had a very tiny, suspect diff? I guess that's a pretty small consideration price wise, but still a consideration. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
9/16/21 1:27 p.m.

If I look at Nissan Armada's, there's 1800 for sale around me within 500 miles on autotrader. If I put it to above 200k miles on them, that drops it down to 26. Compare that with a sequoia, and you get 493 total, and 77 with above 200k. Armada is 1.44% above 200k, sequoia is 15%. I'm not saying this is a completely reliable way of looking at reliability, but I think it gives you an idea. I don't trust Nissan vehicles as a whole, and that doesn't really give me any reason to change my mind. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/16/21 1:40 p.m.

The gm interiors are pretty terrible. They also drive poorly. My suburban is like a wallowing Buffalo all the time.   The reliability is pretty good though for thr gmt800 ones and if something does break it's cheap as hell to fix.  For example one of my doors is rusting through,  a rust free door at a local junkyard is $150.  Parts are hilariously cheap and any mechanic can fix them. 196k miles on mine and still chugging on the original everything.  Though the rear end is starting to whine a little.

ohh well. I've got one more year for the truck. The. I'll sell it for what I paid for it and buy another for less than $5k.  

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
9/16/21 6:18 p.m.

Best third row that I’ve been in is the Expedition, 6’ + are comfortable back there.

A note on the Explorer Sport, I add full exhaust including down pipe and a tune to one.  450-500 horse depending on if you change turbos or not.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/16/21 8:29 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The Armada used a different diff than the Titan, independent rear end Vs. solid axle. The Armada used the R230, a very strong 9" diff. They didn't seem to have the troubles the Titan, which was overblown, as most of the affected trucks were 2004's- 18 years old now. Titans got improvements in '05 and and a completely different axle in '07. 

I think the Armada is a lot of truck for the money in this price range. They are rock solid mechanically, and drive very well. Their main demerits are that their paint and interiors may not wear well, and horrible gas mileage. 

grover
grover Dork
9/16/21 11:20 p.m.

The Armada is certainly the capable Best Buy in this catagory likely. I do have meh feelings towards Nissans though. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
9/17/21 4:19 p.m.

Best third row that I’ve been in is the Expedition, 6’ + are comfortable back there.

A note on the Explorer Sport, I add full exhaust including down pipe and a tune to one.  450-500 horse depending on if you change turbos or not.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/17/21 5:19 p.m.

So, umm. Blame golfduke??

'14 Limited EB, w/ tow pkg, roof rails, and 84k on the clock popped up overnight for 21k. Other than the black, it's one of the few I've seen listed with the right options and miles. It was an hour away, so figured I had to go look. Seats work, and I liked driving it. Sold for 21.8 out the door.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
9/17/21 5:21 p.m.

The sparkle in the black grew on me, too.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/21 5:35 p.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Good choice! Flex EB is at the top of the list for next angryhauler.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/17/21 7:10 p.m.

congrats

crxmike
crxmike Reader
9/18/21 8:46 p.m.

Congrats on the purchase! Awd or Fwd? I am curious how towing with fwd would compare to rwd or 4wd...I need to start trying harder to replace my v8 4runner. 

Edit... Think I answered my own question... Looks like ecoboost is only available as awd. 

Any mods planned? Would kinda be cool to get a tune but not if it seriously affects reliability. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
9/18/21 10:04 p.m.

I've always liked the Flex for being a minivan without being an actual minivan.  I have no use for 3rd row seating though, does the 3rd row fold flat onto the floor, or can it be removed entirely?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/18/21 11:16 p.m.

I've always liked these. I'm forbidden to put my wife in anything without sliding doors, or we might have looked for one. I hope you love it. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/18/21 11:48 p.m.

In reply to JesseWolfe :

You can fold the third row so it is flat to the bumper in the back.  You can't get a fully flat floor to the front depending on the trim level.  Mine has two captains chairs in the middle row so there is a gap there.

I am not sure if you can take out the third row easily.  The setup is not as good as Chrysler store and go.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/21 1:53 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:

'14 Limited EB, w/ tow pkg, roof rails, and 84k on the clock popped up overnight for 21k. Other than the black, it's one of the few I've seen listed with the right options and miles. It was an hour away, so figured I had to go look. Seats work, and I liked driving it. Sold for 21.8 out the door.

Welcome to the club! Now start throwing power mods at it...

bluej (Forum Supporter)
9/19/21 7:39 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:

Welcome to the club! Now start throwing power mods at it...

Thanks! And thanks, guys. I'm already impatient and really hoping it will be ready for our trip to NH on Wednesday.

Jav, aren't you going to do a guide on these?? :)

And thanks Jav, Tim and John, both for chiming in here, and with/to a bunch of threads in the past that helped me find my way here.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/20/21 10:15 a.m.

Nice. I always liked them. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/21 10:27 a.m.

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

I am! Still working out high boost tuning bugs, but hopefully hitting the drag strip this weekend.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/21 11:08 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

3 row inexpensive tow vehicle says Full Size Van to me, but I dunno how the seats are and "fun to drive" not high on the list.

Quicker to edit yours.  I wouldn't say my Express is fun to drive, but it does very dad things really well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rP5Enhq4j7fgQRmuhTnk0tA3TyLVKHkd8caekg1zw4qsBhB6odpESZ23exyniUtT