1 2 3 4
jharry3
jharry3 Reader
7/17/18 1:58 p.m.

1/4" plate will stop most handgun bullets.  3/8" for sure.      AR-15 green tip will put a crater in 3/8" plate but will only penetrate if hit in the same place twice.   

Yes, I have verified all this with actual bullets.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/17/18 2:06 p.m.

Could have been 45 or bigger.  The five shots would not rule out one of the larger revolvers, which would certainly be capable of that much damage.  460 Ruger, 454 Casull (a 45 Long Colt Magnum), etc.  However, given the expense and rarity, I doubt that most of the riff-raff have that much artillery. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/17/18 2:23 p.m.

Wow, glad you're OK!  Where are you located if you don't mind my asking?  

I've never been shot at on purpose or accidently, so that has to suck.  The only that I've had that comes close is someone through a brick through my MG windshield from an overpass years ago while I was driving.  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/17/18 2:24 p.m.

Glad you are OK man.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
7/17/18 2:43 p.m.

My gsw was from a .22 you definitely don't want to dance with a well placed .22 shot as they bounce a lot. That's a much more sizeable round that you want absolutely nothing to deal with. GRM wear your helmet to work day is advised. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/17/18 2:53 p.m.

damn, glad that missed anything vital (namely you). I have driven through a gang shootout, it is definitely a pants filling moment

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/17/18 2:53 p.m.

Damn dude, glad you're ok!

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/17/18 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 : Sorry it happened. I’ll save my sermon for a better moment.  

Closest it ever happened to me is a explosive shell entered the torpedo bay went through some avionics and stopped in the parachute  I was sitting on.  Luckily it failed to explode.  

I got the shakes real bad later that night.  

My advice?  Self medicate with a strong depressant ( booze)  tonight.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
7/17/18 3:58 p.m.

I’m usually pretty chatty but I don’t know what to say other than I’m really glad you’re alright.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
7/17/18 4:05 p.m.
frenchyd said:

My advice?  Self medicate with a strong depressant ( booze)  tonight.  

Later at the bar…

Hey Toyman, ready for another round of SHOTS!

Joking aside, I wouldn’t be counting calories or worrying about my liver tonight…have whatever the hell you want buddy.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
7/17/18 4:25 p.m.

Yeah it can happen, a 40 round fired up in the air killed a 7 year old on the 4th July outside of Richmond a few years ago.

A friend of mine has 2 holes in his drywall framed. The shots that came through his window from a drive by like 6 years back. The guy they were aiming at got hit walking down the street out front and survived. Lucky he was upstairs asleep. That area is now prime realestate and property values have doubled since then.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/17/18 4:27 p.m.

Having been shot at many times, and shot once, it sucks. Glad it missed. That could've been ugly.

Id still rather get shot again than stabbed again. 

The reality is that we live in the areas and times we do. Anxiety, paranoia, and fear at an all time high, with personal responsibility at an all time low. Fearing the odds of a stray bullet connecting with you will lock you into a downward spiral of fear. Live life, love your family, di the next right thing. and when your numbers up you got nothing to regret.

And bullet proof vests, that DO stop the 38 slug thet hit center of mass, are inexpensive.  But a previously  broken sternum from the vest is painful every time it snows. Beats the hell out of the alternative. 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
7/17/18 6:56 p.m.

I remember a local news story a number of years ago of a guy who didn't go hunting on the last day of the season because "that's when all the idiots are out" and he didn't want something stupid to happen. He was hit and killed by a stray bullet sitting in his living room that day. 

Glad you're okay, Toyman.  That's some scary E36 M3. 

Also, can we talk about the illuminated EXIT sign over the door that says NO EXIT? laugh

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
7/17/18 8:19 p.m.

The chance of getting hit by a stray bullet must be greater than the chance of getting hit by a stray motorcycle?

Pedestrian killed by stray motorcycle!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
7/17/18 8:47 p.m.
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
7/17/18 9:04 p.m.

Holy crap, yikes, whew!! ........Amen!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/17/18 9:08 p.m.

I thought this was going to be a link to the story about the guy who got hit by a stray bullet, on the same street where he previously had been hit by a stray bullet, on the same day.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
7/17/18 9:50 p.m.

And I thought I had an exciting weekend with a stray rallycross car paid me a visit. 

Glad all are ok and no bodies were laying next to any of the bullets. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
7/17/18 10:10 p.m.

My dad and I were in the loft of our barn when a dozen bullets whipped through from down in our creek.  That was the angriest i ever saw my dad in my whole life trying to get down the steps and into something that drove to try and catch trespassers hunting on our property and shooting at us and our building. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
7/17/18 10:44 p.m.

I'm so glad you're ok!

I was shot at years ago. I heard the shot, but didn't know that it was directed at us until later that night when I talked to some friends that witnessed it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/17/18 10:54 p.m.

Looks like it's extremely rare in the grander scheme of things. 317 people were killed or injured by stray bullets (in the US it seems?) in 2008 & 2009:

https://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/6483

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
7/17/18 11:38 p.m.

It’s disconcerting at best when you’re trained for, and expecting to, be shot at.

The shock of incoming rounds while going about regular civilian life must really give you the shakes!  Glad it ended as well as it did.  You now have a war story to tell at get togethers.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/18/18 1:11 a.m.

Man, I'm glad you're safe.  Butthole puckering doesn't begin to describe that one.  surprise

I don't know what the odds are of getting hit by a stray bullet, but I can tell you what the first thing I'd do is:  

I'd move my dang desk and chair right in front of that there bullet hole.  Because however slim the odds are of being hit by a stray bullet, I can tell you they don't hold a candle to the odds of being hit by a stray bullet that traveled through the bullet hole of another stray bullet.

Stay safe at work man.  Any chance you now qualify for hazardous duty pay?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
7/18/18 1:12 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I thought this was going to be a link to the story about the guy who got hit by a stray bullet, on the same street where he previously had been hit by a stray bullet, on the same day.

You know what?

Forget what I said about moving the desk.  Time to buy that bullet-proof clothing and steel plating.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/18/18 7:06 a.m.

So I did a little reading this morning. North Charleston SC, where my office is, has a crime rating of 2 with 100 being safest. Meaning N Charleston is safer than 2% of other cities. Chicago, on the other hand, has a crime rating of 8. 

This is according to https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/sc/north-charleston/crime and https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime

Still not moving my office to Chicago. wink

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M2KE5RQqZ07KejX8PgBa1AeA8Mu50MuSDspGj5eDvVWYPQvO7iTnDyclwM22YKKJ