Gary SuperDork
4/11/19 10:00 p.m.

Eilen Jewell- Santa Fe

I like Jerry Miller on guitar.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
4/11/19 10:21 p.m.

Eilen Jewell Band - Dusty Box Car Wall

Again, I love Jerry Miller on electric guitar.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
4/11/19 10:32 p.m.
Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/13/19 10:58 p.m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

Several culinary legends are related to the Battle of Vienna.

One legend is that the croissant was invented in Vienna, either in 1683 or during the earlier siege in 1529, to celebrate the defeat of the Ottoman attack on the city, with the shape referring to the crescents on the Ottoman flags. This version of the origin of the croissant is supported by the fact that croissants in France are a variant of Viennoiserie, and by the French popular belief that Vienna-born Marie Antoinette introduced the pastry to France in 1770.

Another legend from Vienna has the first bagel as being a gift to King John III Sobieski to commemorate the King's victory over the Ottomans. It was fashioned in the form of a stirrup to commemorate the victorious charge by the Polish cavalry. The veracity of this legend is uncertain, as there is a reference in 1610 to a bread with a similar-sounding name, which may or may not have been the bagel.

There is an often recited story that, after the battle, the Viennese discovered many bags of coffee in the abandoned Ottoman encampment. The story goes on that, using this captured stock, Franciszek Jerzy Kulczycki opened the first coffeehouse in Vienna and one of his ideas was to serve coffee with milk, a practice that was unknown in the Islamic world.[42][43] However, this story was first mentioned in 1783; the first coffeehouse in Vienna had been established by the Armenian Johannes Theodat in 1685.[44]

Croissants, bagels, coffee, and Sobieski, that's like four of the seven main food groups!  (The other three are onion, potato, and kielbasa)

The video has subtitles in Polish.  I don't speak Polish except for some very few swears (swearing in multiple languages is essential to a full life) but as a MAD Magazine reader, it amuses me to no end that "potrzebie" is an actual word.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
4/16/19 7:18 a.m.

The Portal credits song "Still Alive" came on the local radio station this morning.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
4/22/19 12:57 p.m.

I've been listening to a lot of Windhand lately. I love, love, love stoner/doom metal. While listening to Windhand's newest album, I discovered that Dorthia Cottrell (singer for Windhand) has a solo album.

It's pretty damn amazing. She has such a haunting and heartbreaking voice.

https://youtu.be/h2KZW31-pnQ

Sputnik Music pretty much summed up her album: "Review Summary: Folk music in the moonlight, in front of a campfire, sang by a witch."

LOL

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/2/19 6:54 p.m.

Liquid Mind

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/2/19 8:35 p.m.

Have two mashups that sound better than they have any reason to.

Stevie Wonder/Cypress Hill/Run DMC/Beastie Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rZ9cqSJgRM

and 

Wild Cherry/Rammstein/Metallica/Megadeth/Macho Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUB-3lud60

slefain
slefain PowerDork
5/2/19 8:53 p.m.

The HU - Wolf Totem

Mongol metal, didn't know I needed it until I heard it. Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Antihero
Antihero Dork
5/2/19 11:07 p.m.

At this moment on Spotify shuffle its.....Catch As Catch Can by Last Chance, a band i bet few have heard

Antihero
Antihero Dork
5/2/19 11:13 p.m.
slefain said:

The HU - Wolf Totem

Mongol metal, didn't know I needed it until I heard it. Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

The Hu are great, so far they only have one show in america and im seriously considering driving the many hours to it

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/4/19 7:24 p.m.

Still listening to Liquid Mind.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/5/19 6:48 p.m.

Eminence Front - The Who

Vintage Who. Gotta love them, especially this song. One of my favorites.

Album Version

"It's a put on!"

This song is amazing, because it's quite unlike most of The Who's other work. All good, mind you. But this particular song seems to bridge the gap from rock, to jazz, and then to funk. All this early on in their careers.  That's why it's so amazing.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/6/19 8:22 p.m.
Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/6/19 8:43 p.m.
Antihero
Antihero Dork
5/6/19 10:53 p.m.

On spotify now....The Green Manalishi by Fleetwood Mac

I think most people dont realize Fleetwood Mac wrote that song, not Judas Priest

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/8/19 9:17 p.m.
stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
5/15/19 5:00 p.m.

I ran across this on Spotify. Well, first I found Cathedral's cover of Black Sabbath's Solitude on Youtube and found the tribute album on Spotify. Good stuff yes

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/16/19 10:42 p.m.

Sometimes a friend texts you over relationship troubles over the same mess you've already seen before. And then an old country song pops in your head and won't go away, making you judge your own thoughts entirely too much.

Come In Out of the Pain - Doug Stone

Atleast it's a good song.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
5/18/19 2:03 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

I'm a pretty big fan of the versions of Supernaut and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath off that album

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/18/19 9:23 p.m.

Lester Young

I love 40's and 50's era saxaphone jazz.  Lester Young is a favorite.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/18/19 10:32 p.m.

Now that is sweet!  I recently bought a baritone sax to go with my others, so I'm listening to a lot of Gerry Mulligen these days. Anything he did is worth a listen.  I particularly like his version of Satin Doll.  Also a big fan of Johnny Hodges and Paul Desmond (Altos) and Stan Getz (tenor).

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/19/19 8:38 p.m.

Scott Hamilton somewhere in Yurp

This guy is amazing. Great classic tenor sax jazz artist. RI native. I saw him perform locally years ago, and again a few years ago at Chan's. Now he lives in London, and he's an international star. So talented. I listen to his Pandora station all the time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JlbYUJnqhvq1TgC8QahBs7sOG95vxFhPzkQDPt10qyOE8LBcFfKHkuLhPxjKKXvp